Preventing rust becore paint

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
I've spent days stripping my duster down to bare metal and would like to protect it before paint as I have alot more to do. I've read ospho can be applied and wiped, and later applied again and wiped off but can I do the same with evaporust? I already have a gallon of it here.

I've spent days stripping my duster down to bare metal and would like to protect it before paint as I have alot more to do. I've read ospho can be applied and wiped, and later applied again and wiped off but can I do the same with evaporust? I already have a gallon of it here.
The only problem I see is when evaporust dries on a flat smooth surface, it can become sticky. You'd have to clean it all off, plus whatever sticks to it, and the longer it sits there the more water you'd have to use to get it to dissolve, which would negate using it in the first place.

Plus once it's removed, the bare metal will want to flash rust.

I too was worried of flash rusting as I took the whole car down. I did it in sections. Blast and epoxy primer. Next section I would overlap a couple inches into what I had primed, then spray epoxy on the next section. Not a pro so take it for what it is worth. That and my unpredictable weather and excessive heat did not allow for doing the whole car at one time.

Well I went and bought kleen strip concrete and metal prep and diluted it 3 to 1. There's a bunch of tiny rust spots on the car so I sprayed and brushed all the bare metal. The kleen strip is the same thing as ospho just stronger and was only 18$ a gallon. I don't want to spray the epoxy yet as I don't want to have to scuff it before paint and the car is only 2/3 stripped down.

When I had the floor out of my car recently I wanted to get the inner rockers wire wheeled down and get some rust areas cut out and new metal butt welded in etc. Bare metal kept flash rusting. So I sprayed WD40 on it and that solved the problem. Then after all the metal repairs and prep were done I sprayed a couple cans of Brake Parts Cleaner to rinse all the WD40 off. Then I sprayed Epoxy Primer to get everything protected before new floor was put in. That approach worked well for me.

It would make a mess but I would probably spend 20 bucks on one of those guns that hold media and spray the rust out of the pits. Shouldn't take very long if the entire car isn't coated in them.

Ospho. Some of the gurus say spray a second coat after the Ospho was sat a day, , let it sit a few minutes and NOT dry then wash good with water ( maybe with a little soap) to NEUTRALIZE the Ospho. Some epoxy primers can react months later. I remember being told years ago epoxy primers can react to acid an maybe that is why some say never spray epoxy primer over metal primed with metal etch primer. Dunno.

I had some pitted metal on a trunk lid I cleaned with Ospho and then epoxy primed and the topcoated with single stage urethane, 9 months later it had little tiny (bumps) all over it. Go figure?

I saw Bad Chad using Windex instead of the usual auto oil and grease remover type cleaner. DUNNO!!!!!

and my wife says I'm "anal" some days!!??? :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :steering: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :realcrazy::rofl:

-
Back