price?

-

Scamper

Reaction score
How expensive is it vrs finding an A body 8 3/4 to just go get any 8 3/4 and get it cut to fit?
The price on A body 8 3/4's here is getting steep.
I am open to any other suggestions

btw what is involved in getting say a b body 8 3/4 to fit an A body?

Can you clarify that? Are ALL B-Body 8-3/4 housings too wide for an A, like a Duster? (aside from the spring perches, do they ALL need to be cut and shortened?)

I have a b body 8.75 in my Dart. I moved the spring perches, and it fit right in. It is a bit wider, dont know how much. I run a 235 60 14 tire and have room around the lip.

I can't speak for all B-body 8-3/4 housings without doing some research, but my '69 Dart came with a B-body rear end when I bought it from the previous owner. It just had some narrow 'roller' wheels on it.
You can always buy rear wheels with bigger non-standard backspacing to center the tires properly in the wheelwells using the wider B-body housing.
My plan is a little different since I bought the size and width wheels I wanted and will narrow the B-body housing currently in my Dart to accurately center the wheels/tires.

Scamper -
FABO member swisswill has a current post ("Cleaning out my stuff...") for a B-body 8/3/4 for $50. Looks like it's complete with the 11" drum brakes.
You'd just need to get it shipped from Michigan.

Thanx ocdart, but I am in canada on the other coast and shipping would kill me

You can use a 65-70 B-body rear, just cut off the spring perches and relocate them ( you can buy new perches from Mopar Performance for cheap). You will also need your driveshaft shortened (if you don't already have an 8.75" rear in your car) and you will need to use the U-bolts and plates from the B-body. No cutting of the axle tubes is needed. I had a 69 B-body rear in my 71 duster and it worked great. Only drawback is you can't use wide tires on the back unless you find wheels with different backspacing, stock wheels and tires work fine.

I can tell you that I just priced shortening a 71-74 B body rearend I have. The price quoted was from Drivetrain Specialties, and was $175.00 just to shorten the housing. I wanted to shorten this to resell to you guys, but $175 is a little much. My welding guy will do it for $125.00, but he has never done one. I guess I'll just pass it along to a late B body owner who is looking to go 8 3/4", as it is a fairly rare item as is. Geof

I had a C body rear end narrowed and the axles cut and re-splined by Moser. The housing ran $135.00 and the axles were $110.00. I had it cut to A body 8 1/4 width so I could use standard brakes and the big bolt axles that have a wider offset from the bearing than SBP units. My rear came with a 2.76 open but have recently picked up a 3.23 center. I will have around $500.00 in it once its under the car, but the brakes , lines and wheel bearings will be all new. Moser did nice work for me, very fast turnaround time. Shipped stuff back in very cool boxs too.

-
Back