Priming question

-

63dartman

Reaction score
How is this done? Do you pull out the distributor gear and make or buy a shaft to drive the oil pump or do you leave the gear in and drive the entire assembly? Thanks.

there is a shaft you can buy and yes you pull out the dist gear (oil pump drve)and use a drill motor.i took a old oil pump drive, cut the gear off and welded a shaft to it and that's what i use.while your priming it is good to have someone turn the engine but hand but this not absolutely necessarily http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4286800/ here is one from summit

And.........

I like to remove the oil sender, plumb a short hose to it. That helps to relieve head pressure, and gives you an instant indication that "stuff is working." Reinstall sender after oil "shows."

You have to rotate the crank to get the cam oil holes lined up, otherwise you won't get oil to the lifters

You can make one if you can score an old intermediate shaft out of a core engine. You'll have to remove the cam gear and devise a way to drive it. One way is to take an old distributor, tear it down to the bare shaft, and remove the advance weights. Just chuck the shaft in a drill. Another is to use an old screwdriver, chuck that in a drill.

All kindsa' ways...................

And.........

You have to rotate the crank to get the cam oil holes lined up, otherwise you won't get oil to the lifters

Not quite. You do have to rotate the engine to line up the holes in the cam. But those holes feed the rocker shafts on each head. The lifters get oil from the passage that runs up from the oil pump tothe right side galley, which in turn feeds the main bearings, and the left lifter galley .

I took an old pushrod and welded it to the shaft of an old oil pump drive... Not perfect, but free and it works perfectly.

Thanks everyone. I have an "extra" drive gear I will be modifying for this. Hopefully next weekend it will be ready.

Not quite. You do have to rotate the engine to line up the holes in the cam. But those holes feed the rocker shafts on each head. The lifters get oil from the passage that runs up from the oil pump tothe right side galley, which in turn feeds the main bearings, and the left lifter galley .

I took an old pushrod and welded it to the shaft of an old oil pump drive... Not perfect, but free and it works perfectly.

!!! DOH !!! Dammit I was THINKING of the top end when my fingers typed lifters

-
Back