Problem Valve Spring!

-

Pentastar318

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I changed my Cam in my 318 and the recommended springs with this Cam Here's the problem I have my springs that are too big and are affecting my rocker arms Does anyone have a solution for my springs Guide me on this PROBLEM I want to keep my original rocker arms so I don't touch my geometry if possible I'd like to have constructive answers please, YOU KNOW A SOLUTION FOR ME! ITS CURRENT SPRINGS ARE TRICKFLOW 16901-16 THANKS YOU!

126057830_1738146409682467_2047549220806775356_n.jpg

valve spring.png

Last edited:
340's use the same rocker arms as a 318. You just need to clearance them as they did for all 340's. Looka at the pictuere from the Direct connection engine book. The arrow shows were they are ground. Even newer expensive rockers need to be clearanced. With a fixture, Index table, and a mill, There is no guessing. I would have yours clearanced at a local machine shop. First picture shows a line where the spring rubbed. The last picture shows what had to be removed.

2c84a2be-c118-4615-a7ab-324778e98f1f-jpeg.jpg

DSCN0198.JPG

DSCN0199 (2).JPG

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0201 (2).JPG

If it was me, I'd try to find a beehive valvesprng for it. No way I'd spend time and money clearance cutting stock stamped arms

What post #4 said. 'Clearancing' a rocker arm....is weakening it.
The stamped steel rocker for a 340 were clearanced from the factory. All of them were. The T&D rockers pictures above were clearance and used with a 686 lift roller cam and never any issues. We used what we had . The new engine we went to beehive springs and 1.6 rockers

He is using stamped steel rockers with a small hydraulic cam clearancing them will be just fine. Or find factory 340's that are clearanced. Budget builds you use what you have available. I may have extra 340 rockers if needed

I pretty much used 340 valve springs on most builds. I used to use a die grinder and a stone to clearance 318/360 rockers all the time. Never had a problem.

J’ai à peu près utilisé des ressorts de soupape 340 sur la plupart des constructions. J’avais l’habitude d’utiliser une meuleuse et une pierre pour dégager les bascules 318/360 tout le temps. Je n’ai jamais eu de problème.
You grind the rocker like mine as shown here...

rocker1.png

Old Man Mopar,

If the factory 'clearanced' [ is that a word? ] 340 rockers, I'll bet they didn't take a stock 318 rocker.....& grind metal away. I'll bet they moved some metal, but kept the thickness of the metal. Would make no sense to modify a rocker for stronger valve springs......by weakening it in a critical area.

I've never heard if one of the stamped steel rockers failing at that point where it's clearanced but my brother had a pushrod pop up through one of them using an oversized cam.

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd try to find a beehive valvesprng for it. No way I'd spend time and money clearance cutting stock stamped arms
What is the spring installed height? I believe it is about 1.8". The Chev LS springs should fit but retainers to fit the 3/8" valve stems could be a problem. I would talk to Summit or Jegs.

I pretty much used 340 valve springs on most builds. I used to use a die grinder and a stone to clearance 318/360 rockers all the time. Never had a problem.

Agree.

Also, make sure you have the correct retainers for those valve springs so you don't get side to side movement (keeps spring centered).

What is the spring installed height? I believe it is about 1.8". The Chev LS springs should fit but retainers to fit the 3/8" valve stems could be a problem. I would talk to Summit or Jegs.
I did exactly this on a set of Edelbrock heads I was having rocker clearance issues with. LS beehives were perfect.

I did exactly this on a set of Edelbrock heads I was having rocker clearance issues with. LS beehives were perfect.
What were the valve stem diameter, 3/8" or 11/32"? Nice advantage to using the LS parts is availability and cost. Because the General has built millions of those engines and installed in full size trucks and SUVs, they are everywhere.
If you install 5/16" valve guides and hone to fit the 8mm LS valve stems, or get 8mm guides, the valves are lighter and the retainer is lighter. On top of that the top of the beehive is small diameter so less reciprocating weight there also.

What were the valve stem diameter, 3/8" or 11/32"? Nice advantage to using the LS parts is availability and cost. Because the General has built millions of those engines and installed in full size trucks and SUVs, they are everywhere.
If you install 5/16" valve guides and hone to fit the 8mm LS valve stems, or get 8mm guides, the valves are lighter and the retainer is lighter. On top of that the top of the beehive is small diameter so less reciprocating weight there also.
They were 11/32 which is what they came with.

Hello My valves have 3/8 diameter and 7 degree someone has numbers on the LS springs references and retainer Thanks!

Your photos do not seem to be of beehive springs. I know of no beehive springs that are dual springs. Your bottom photo appears to show a dual conical spring that is good for high RPM as indicated by the Al conrod.

Your photos do not seem to be of beehive springs. I know of no beehive springs that are dual springs. Your bottom photo appears to show a dual conical spring that is good for high RPM as indicated by the Al conrod.
My mistake they are dual conical but are tapered smaller at the top as can be seen in the pictures. They still need to clearance at the rocker. Difference is Beehive are rounded Conical are tapered.

If suggesting to penestar318 Beehive springs. Wouldn't money be better spent on rocker arms or modification to what he has. His springs are hitting due to 318 rockers being used with 340 diameter retainers . The factory just modified the 318 rockers by milling for clearance and they worked just fine on 340's.

My mistake they are dual conical but are tapered smaller at the top as can be seen in the pictures. They still need to clearance at the rocker. Difference is Beehive are rounded Conical are tapered.

If suggesting to penestar318 Beehive springs. Wouldn't money be better spent on rocker arms or modification to what he has. His springs are hitting due to 318 rockers being used with 340 diameter retainers . The factory just modified the 318 rockers by milling for clearance and they worked just fine on 340's.
Don't the Gen 3 Hemi's have beehive springs with the 1.8" installed height? The problem there is accessing retainers for the 11/32" valve stems and keepers.
The Hemi valve stems are 5/16" while the LS are about 0.002" larger diameter at 8mm.
Beehive springs have good resistance to harmonics and are lighter. Simple enough to change out the springs, retainers and locks on the engine and no machine work required.
If the heads need to be touched up, the correct valve guides to use either Gen 3 or LS valves can be installed. These valves are considerably lighter than the LA valves. Combine that with reduced weight of the springs and retaners.

-
Back