problem with a /6 carb..

-

grassy

Reaction score
I am doing an engine upgrade soon so I really don't want to spend any money on the slant 6...it has had a hesitation when excellerating when cold ..I can live with that but my daughter tookme out for a drive nd when she turns cornes, it dies..then picks back up once she straightens up..

I think this is more serious. I think it is the carb float..do they have those on the /6 carb. Can I change it and how or do I need my racing mechanic guru /

Should I have posted this in the barb section ?

Thanks
Grassy

very slim chance might be the fuel in your tank is low and sloshing away from the pickup when you turn a corner.

It sounds like the float need to be set to me, it sounds like it is just letting the gas bowl stay half full, if it was in the tank it would not have hesitation that fast.
Take the top part of the carb off, you will need to un hook the accelerator pump linkage I believe, and you can see the float and the needle that shuts the gas off
I see it is a 75 model, Give a time and I will take a picture of the carb, is it a two barrel?

Is it when you turn right or left ?

If it make a difference then it probably is a float problem.

You could do a poor mans carb rebuild.
that is :
with the engine running and the filter off, spray carb medic in the vent and any other opening on the carb you can find.

Good luck.

David

I haven't looked at if it is a two or 4..but my guess it is a two. Sarah demonstrated a left turn bog for me when it died...car straightened up..power again. She said it was the same if she turned the other way. We filled up immediately after and it took less than 4 gallons...I think the tank is a 10 or 12 gallon . She has the car now but i can do this tonight..

I really think it is a float issue...I think I need to raise it..a picture would be perfect.

A poor man's carb rebuild wouldn't hurt..who knows what crap is lurking there..

I prefer this over the Italian tune up ..that is when you put the car in nutral and stomp on the gas petal ..and let i run like that for 3 to 4 minutes..never done that..but have watched it..not pretty..

I look fwd to the picture.

Thanks
ian.

i had a simular problem with my valiant,now this might sound like b.s.,but its true..car would run fine until i would slow down to make a turn,then it would shut off.i ended up putting a new alternator on and it cured the problem..i would like to know if that has happened to anyone else..

I really think it is a float issue...I think I need to raise it...
If you take the top of the carb off to check the float, be sure and clean out the bowl. There can be a lot of trash that made it past the filter in there.

When using carb cleaner, I always clean the outside of the carb too. The linkages and pivot points need to move freely to work right.

Had the same issue, cleaned and tuned carb, new fuel pump aswell as drained and cleaned fuel tank. Runs great and no issues anymore. I have a Holley 1920. Sometimes these older cars just need there fuel systems cleaned. Old gas just sucks. Also check the float and excelerator pump. It's sounds like it's dying from a lack of gas. A good run on the highway does wonders. Good luck

..I think I will get a bottle of carb leaner and just take the top off...put a new filter on and just clean around the area...we had a long run w/o any change..I knew the car has sat for 3 years..don't know if the filter was changed..

I respond next week after the try..

No manual so I will be working slowly...never thought I would call solex carbs easy but...

ian :)

Grassy
Go over to slantsix.org ,Engine section, Maybe FAQs there are ALL the slant 6 carb manuals and some training videos free to use.
Frank

If this is a holley 1920 the baffle may be missing from the float bowl I will see if I can get a picture of one tomorrow.

Brian

-
Back