Problems,66 Dart manual steering coupler

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,ve changed my p.steering to manual,swapped the column(which has no rag joint)power one is to small.What have you guys used?Flaming river has a u-joint coupler part#FR1506M $177.45 for manual or the straight adapter for $35.Which have you used?My car has a 360 and am putting Spitfire headers on.Thanks for any help!

My experience with the adapters is that the solid straight adapter will give you more steering vibration through the steering shaft. The u-joint seems to absorb some of that vibration

steering adapter.jpg

Coupler.jpg

Hey dart4forte,isn,t that the adapter to go from manual column to p.steering?I priced the u-joint adapter at a performance shop here in Toronto,said $277.That,s a little overpriced I,d say.I looked on the shelf at the flaming river ones $104,they might not have been for Mopar though?What steering do you have on your car?Any pics.?

Hey dart4forte,isn,t that the adapter to go from manual column to p.steering?I priced the u-joint adapter at a performance shop here in Toronto,said $277.That,s a little overpriced I,d say.I looked on the shelf at the flaming river ones $104,they might not have been for Mopar though?What steering do you have on your car?Any pics.?

The solid adapter adapts the P/S shaft to manual box. I'm using a Flaming River U joint on my 64 Dart. Manual steering. The part you see there was stock on the A-100's. Like I said you get more road vibration using the solid adapter

My car is Manual column,manual s.box.340Dart that adapter is for manual box, power steering column.With a 360 and headers,I had to lose the p.steering box and power column.

You'll have to use the U-joint if you don't want to use the stock coupler. The instructions will require you to lop off a portion of the end of the steering shaft and drill a new hole for the drift pin. I can't remember how much to take off

Thanks for the heads up dart4forte,makes things alot easier when you know what to expect.My list of things from swapping is getting shorter.I modified the crossmember,now have to take a piece out of the frame that holds the c.member.Moving along!

Thanks for the heads up dart4forte,makes things alot easier when you know what to expect.My list of things from swapping is getting shorter.I modified the crossmember,now have to take a piece out of the frame that holds the c.member.Moving along!

Piece out of the frame?

My car is Manual column,manual s.box.340Dart that adapter is for manual box, power steering column.With a 360 and headers,I had to lose the p.steering box and power column.
Sorry, I didn't catch that you had a manual column.:read2:

If you have a manual steering column...and a manual steering box...the length is fine. The only thing that won't fit is the coupler itself. Not because it is too small, because the splined shaft on the manual box is larger in diameter. All you need to do is get a manual steering coupler, match the master spline on the box to the master spline inside the couple, and slide it on. Pop in the roll pin and put it all together. A stock manual steering coupler will cast you a couple bucks used from someone here. No worries.

-
Back