Problems removing the A/C compressor

-

falconsdart

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 74 dart with a slant six 225 and my power steering is going out. So I'm trying to replace the pump and my A/C compressor(hasn't worked since I bought this car a couple months back) is in the way of me replacing the pump. I have unbolted almost all the mounts to the compressor except the three bolts next to the fan. I removed the fan but the thing the fan connects to is in the way of me removing the last three bolts and I was wondering how i could remove that so that I can finally remove the compressor. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance

Probably a thermal clutch driven fan. 4 nuts on studs that hold the clutch on the water pump. Clutch and fan would come off together. Just guessing

Thanks for the replys guys, it was the fan clutch and it was just sort of stuck on there after i took the fan off so i had to give it a little wack with a rubber mallet and it came right off.

Good result. I didn't even know they installed clutch fans on slants. There sure isn't enough room for one on my 1964, but it doesn't have the factory radiator.

One thing to consider is that some Aspen/Volare slants came with a better Sanden compressor (all after-market kits today use) and the mount for a Saginaw p.s. pump (best, and probably yours). If you can find those brackets, you would be set. I found them on a JY Volare a few years ago and said "bingo" (not selling).

-
Back