problems with B&M shifter

-

DRENO

Reaction score
My B&M quicksilver shifter is not working right.I have a 727 trans. I can pull the shifter out of park straight into reverse. I does not seem to be dropping down the way it should to lock it in. This is a cable type. Any ideas on what to look for. Are there parts that i should look for excessive wear,or stretched cables? This car was a drag car before I got it so it may be worn out beyond repair. thanks, Dave

My B&M quicksilver shifter is not working right.I have a 727 trans. I can pull the shifter out of park straight into reverse. I does not seem to be dropping down the way it should to lock it in. This is a cable type. Any ideas on what to look for. Are there parts that i should look for excessive wear,or stretched cables? This car was a drag car before I got it so it may be worn out beyond repair. thanks, Dave

I have the B&M Star shifter,your cable is toast,there heat sensitive.When mine went I had nothing.

I agree. I have a quicksilver, and when it started to get stiff, it was the cable. I went through two before I got it routed far enough away from the heat to work.

Thanks guys that gives me something to look for when I take it apart. May try the lube first.

The main thing I don't like about BM shifters is the very short shift arm on the trans. It is much shorter than factory, and what this does is to create a situation where any play in the linkage or cable then becomes a larger percentage of the total movement. In other words it all must be much "tighter" and more to shift accurately, compared to factory, or the Cheetah shift linkage.

-
Back