Problems?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Rebuilt tranny, used TC 2800-3200 . Just cranked the motor last week and all systems seemed to be ok. Filled tranny with fluid as much as would take then cranked her up and dropped it in neutral to fill the TC ( per tranny builder)then shut it down and refilled tranny. Upon the second or third time i noticed tranny fluid on floor. A few drops. Checked all lines and all tight and the tranny fluid is coming out of bottom front of tranny at bottom of inspection plate. Removed inspection plate and the surface of the TC is dry. This is a 727 with B&M shift improver behind a 440 in a 73 Duster. 0 miles. 10 minutes total run time. In trying to top of tranny, checking fluid in neutral the leak becomes more steady(small stream) as it gets close to full. No leaks at the rear seal. Looks like a front seal on tranny. I'm taking car to tranny builder tomorrow. Could there be a problem with the TC? What your prognosis? Would be grateful for any help. I don't want to pull that tranny with the new exhaust in place but it aint looking good. This is gona be a *****. Talk to me PLEASE.

I always put fluid in the convertor and oil the outer mating surface. This way you don't burn the front seal and pump etc..

how many quarts have you got in it? I too put as much atf in the converter as it will take before installation, and 12 quarts total is a good place to start. maybe it's coming out the vent?

It could be the converter,if it is used. They sometimes come apart or crack at the welds.I usually check by installing a rubber cap over the converter neck(with it out of the car) and blow air through a small pin hole in the cap,if it is a leaky weld or crack etc. youll see the fluid seeping out Good Luck!

it sounds like the front seal is out i always put white grease on the seal and the neck of the t.c. mike

Did you check the torque on all of the pump bolts. If one is loose it will leak from there. Ask me how I know that one. LOL

Jack

The seal surface on the used converter may be badly scored and may not be able to seal. Your trans guy should have caught that though...

Took it up to the trans guy today via roll back andthe trans guy said he coldn't tell anything until he pulled it but couldn't get to it till next week. I started tonite and man what a *****. I'm going to pull motor and all to get it done. I'm just a little bit hard to talk to right now.

You put in 14 PINTS or 14 QUARTS. Trans fluid comes in QUART bottles,if you put 14 of them in then you are over ful by about 5-6 quarts which will definitely make it leak. 18 PINTS is 9 Quarts,2 pints per quart.A fresh 727 with a new stock convertor will hold no more than 9 QUARTS,being that you had a used convertor that is probably a little smaller than the stock one it should only take about 8 QUARTS.

Your dead on there Monte. Same school i went to sounds like. I sat out 9 qts and only put in 7.5 of em before we discovered the leak from hell. The book calls for 19 pts. divided by 2 = 9.5 qts. New tranny cooler . Empty TC , Empty tranny. It is not overfilled. I'll finish the engine/tranny pull tomorrow.

A buddy came over this morning and within an hour we had the tranny out and didn't have to pull the motor. We did losen up the motor mount bolts and hooked on the lift to tilt the motor low in the back and the tranny just almost fell off. I had the bolts out already. No visual problems with the TC but found a trail of ATF from the seal down the face inside bellhousing behind the TC. I'll take it in monday to the shop and we'll know more monday evening.

Behind the Torque Converter on the Passenger side is a small allen head screw. "This was the exact same problem as mine"!!!!!! You can get that allen out with just taking the inspection cover off. After a new rebuild on my tranny the transmission guy did not put silicone on this allen screw and it leaked out the front at just before the full mark. After you get the inspection cover off look up the passenger side behind the converter with a work light and you'll have it. It's not an easy job but with patience it can be done.
Good luck, Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave: We got it out saturday and it's lying in the shop floor with no pressure on it and i was noticing yesterday that it was leaking very slowly from the bottom of the large cover on the front. I think it just didn't get sealed good. It could happen to anyone is the way i'm looking at it. I'm taking it in this morning. Let ya know more tonite. I'm going to take another 727 in with me and let him rebuild it thinking he may feel sorry for me, having to pull it, and give me a break on it. I'll need it later anyway. You guys and gals have a good day.

OK: Tore it down, pulled the tranny and took it to the shop and we tested the TC and yep, it was cracked. Got a new one coming this wednesday. Called the motor builder and per his recommendation i ordered a 2200 stall. I bought the cracked TC from someone here on the website but don't remember who. A year ago or so. A person i know ask if he could take it to a swap meet amd sell it. NOT HAPPENING. Junk is junk. It will go as a core. You'll NEVER see me selling junk to one of you guys knowingly. And if it's bad you send it back to me and i'll make it right. Lesson learned.

Glad you found the problem Smallblock. Sorry to hear somebody sold you a bum part. That's just plain wrong. Really bad when you have to go through all that extra work.

I guess it's always possible he didn't know it was cracked. Who knows.

You can bet your bottom dollar i'll check any and all TC's before i install em.

The bad thing is you usually can't just see a crack in a converter. You have to pressure test them. I think after reading this I'll rig up some kinda attachment to pressure test all I do before I put them in. Too much work swapping them out.

Fishy: Visual simply won't work. The pressure test is SO easy that even i can do it. Fill the convertor as full of fluid as you can with it lying down on the bench. Get a plastic cap that came on the converter snout and cut or poke a very small hole in the center. Place the cap on the snout where you filled it. Should be able to hold it with your hand but if not use a hose clamp around it. Place air nozzle to hole and pressure it up . It should show any leaks. Be careful when you take the nozzle away or remove the cap. You might get all fluided up. This works.

Thanks Small block. I have done it before. Problem is I don't think I have one of the plastic caps so I'll have to rig up something else that will seal to it.

Hardware store in the plumbing section. Heavy walled rubber cap used for testing drain pipes. Already had a hose clamp to hold it in place to. You can even mount up a filler port with a valve and gauge to bleed off the pressure so you don't take a bath. Probably make a nice setup for less than $20 with a gauge.

Hardware store in the plumbing section. Heavy walled rubber cap used for testing drain pipes. Already had a hose clamp to hold it in place to. You can even mount up a filler port with a valve and gauge to bleed off the pressure so you don't take a bath. Probably make a nice setup for less than $20 with a gauge.

Great idea Dartwagon. I've seen them before. I'll check it out. Thanks

-
Back