Procar Lumbar Elite vs Corbeau Sport Seat

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I believe that I have the replacement seat selection for the 68 Barracuda down to these two.
Procar Lumbar Elite, black Velour, bracket and sliders $1154 at Summitt
Corbeau Sport Seat, black cloth with lumbar added and bracket & sliders $1018 at Summitt

although it appears that one can get leather at Corbeau for about 1/2 the price that Procar charges.

I found this thread from 2009 here on FABO where
abodyjoe showed photos of a new install of the Procar Lumbar Elite
and
GoFish, Demon 416 and Joe 440 showed photos of the Corbeau Sport Seat.

Let's See The After Market Bucket Seats. Dart, Duster, Valiant, Demon, etc.

looking for follow up comments, nine years later, how did they hold up, still comfortable?
from those and any other how have experience with these seats.

Searching the internet I noticed comments that the Procar Elite seats sit high due to the seat adapter bracket and may not sit back far enough. Any comments from experience on that appreciated.

Seats are a very subjective matter. It depends on your size and how you sit in the car. My dad has the Corbeau Sport seats in a 82 Mustang and they sit too high and don't slide far enough back. They are comfortable but the car is undriveable by me because of the lack of ergonomics in how I want to sit to drive (and I mean drive hard, not cruise). If you have the ability to weld, buy the sliders but build your own brackets and set them how you want. When investing $1k or more in seats, I'd be trying to find someone local to sit in them, even if they are not in your make or model of car.

Seats are a very subjective matter. It depends on your size and how you sit in the car. My dad has the Corbeau Sport seats in a 82 Mustang and they sit too high and don't slide far enough back. They are comfortable but the car is undriveable by me because of the lack of ergonomics in how I want to sit to drive (and I mean drive hard, not cruise). If you have the ability to weld, buy the sliders but build your own brackets and set them how you want. When investing $1k or more in seats, I'd be trying to find someone local to sit in them, even if they are not in your make or model of car.

I have stock , reworked buckets w/ custom seat covers in my 68 fastback. Every time I think about diff/ seats and see how out of place the new designs are --------NOT!
About the only ones I would even consider are a pair of A100 seats in as good a shape as mine .

Searching the internet I noticed comments that the Procar Elite seats sit high due to the seat adapter bracket and may not sit back far enough. Any comments from experience on that appreciated.
My experience as well with Corbeaus into a 68 Barracuda; I don't recall what model I purchased,except to say they were highbacks with bolsters. After the install they looked waaay out of scale, Corbeau graciously accepted the return.

"I don't recall what model I purchased,except to say they were highbacks with bolsters"

wonder what they were, there is photo of the Corbeau Sport Seats in a Duster and they looked fine.
I had a set of Sebring seats in my 68 Barracuda, they scaled in fine.

I think they mightabin A-4s. Because of the brackets and adapters, the headrests ended up too close to the headliner is all. Too close for my taste anyway. And getting out of the car,over the bolsters, with the car lowered,without banging my head on the roofrail,was awkward..
I found some 80/90s Mazda RX-7 seats that scaled up just right for me. I mounted them on a flat plate that I mounted on the OEM tracks.
Nice looking seats, if a lil stiff; but I never got to roadtest them.

a4-web-01.jpg

or maybe these, but I think it was the above A-4s
CorbeauSeats-90010-sl-xl_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a set of recaro SE's I just had recovered in factory deluxe style. I even reused the factory seat brackets.

IMG_20190717_185556387.jpg

IMG_20190717_173816454.jpg

IMG_20190717_185607468.jpg

I put leather-covered, high-back, 1 inch wider Corbeau's in my '68 convertible. I forget the model, but I'll attach before and after reupholster pictures. I knew leather requires extra care, especially in a convertible. Apparently, I was not up to the task as the leather dried out and shrunk a bit over the years. The seats themselves are awesome, however.

I used their seat bracket, which I cut and welded to lower the front of the bracket a full inch and the rear a bit more to recline the seat further. At the stock height, I was looking directly into the top of the windshield frame. The seat brackets & sliders work great and the seats are all day long comfortable.

8 years later, I had the seats recovered in German Marine Grade vinyl. They had to steam the foam to restore its original shape due to the leather shrinking, but the seats, frame and mounting brackets are still performing like new.

I love the look, feel, comfort and appreciate the increased safety the high back seats provide over the stock buckets in a rear-ending situation, plus the seats keep me connected to the car much better as I have significantly increased the cars ability to deliver much higher G-forces than it was capable of stock.

Seats (Large).JPG

20190712_152049.jpg

Last edited:
installed the Procar Elite seats in the 68 Barracuda yesterday.
I purchased the seats and the brackets through Summitt, got delivery of the seats and brackets in about a week.

The seats look to be of good quality, no wrinkles or errant stitching, everything is very uniform across each seat and the pair.
Likewise with the seat brackets. Good construction, welds look fine, height adjustability made with in the brackets.
I know how to weld and have a welder,, 180.00 for the two brackets,or spend a day figuring out what to build, cutting
steel and welding it,,, its is a toss up, throw in that the purchased brackets are powder coated and I lean towards the purchased brackets.

The bracket part numbers that I purchased are SCA-81344 and SCA-81345
These brackets have the mounting bolt holes on approximately 12 inch centers. These Scat part numbers do not show on the Scat web site, the brackets that they
show have the mounting holes on approximately 18 inch centers. I contacted Scat about that and they said they would address that on their web site.
The difference between the 18 inch centers and the 12 inch centers may be the difference between OE bucket and bench seats, I don't know definitely.
but the 12's fit my car with one exception.
I originally put the drivers seat in with the brackets that was identified as the left side bracket, the seat was off center and biased towards the door. I Took the seat out and used the right side seat bracket with the bracket reversed 180 degrees. The seat was then centered with the steering wheel.
I did not simply reverse the driver side bracket as I had seem posts where folks felt the seat was too close to the steering wheel. the bracket is made with about an
inch off set front to rear. I installed the bracket to the seat with the off set favoring the rear.

I have not installed the head rests yet as I will remove the seats when it is time to install the carpet, proportionally the seats to the car is fine.
I am 5' 11'' about 200 Lbs, for me the seats sit well, I have the seats adjusted front to rear and I have adjustment left both ways. I am satisfied with the purchase.

file1-26.jpeg

file-62.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back