ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
That's IF you fit that bill.
Anyone can hand you a set of AM heads to toss on and 'better chance than not' you'll go faster... but whats the difference between the heads, beats the **** outta you, right? Not just formulas ...I'd rather learn 'with my combo' what amount 'more' airflow did i need to raise the mph to.. ? and lower et to..? etc and did i just waste a set of heads and hurt myself or did do decent and can build upon that knowledge.
I started this thread on Speedmaster heads to collect more information on them to help myself and others make a more informed decision.
For as long as these have been out there just doesn't seem that much talk or information about them.
This is my attempt to not fit the bill...
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but that's okay I like hot rod parts they're shiny and cool... Lol..

The SM heads are just copies of the Eddy’s...... and those have been around and used on enough builds to know what to expect.
From a tq/hp standpoint, especially in the 450-500hp range, I don’t think that there would be much difference between the two.

Especially with regards to a stroker, unless the OE heads are done pretty well(and yes, some are)....... I don’t see how the SM’s wouldn’t result in a step up in power...... even if it’s only a small step.

If someone has a decent set of reworked OE heads that have similar flow numbers to the SM heads...... then no, I doubt you’ll see any worthwhile gains.

Last edited:
snip
That set got nothing but new valve seals and a couple of springs shimmed up.
The big wide seats aren’t the best for performance, but as long the the runout is decent, it’s not going to cause any problems.
Guide clearance was a tick over .002”.
Again, not fantastic for new aluminum heads with bronze guides, but it won’t cause problems.

snip

With a proper valve job and a basic bowl blend I’d expect to see a gain of somewhere in the 10-15cfm range from about .400 lift on up.

The price difference I saw earlier was $700 between bare and loaded, I'm curious what the cost would be to take a set of the bare CNC, put in quality valves, springs, retainers, etc and do a decent valve job on them vs the unknown Chinese sourced parts.

I have 1400 invested in my SM CnC heads....bought bare on sale...pac 1903 springs...now the valves and retainers i have had sitting in boxes for some time .....plus valve job and one port flowed.

I have 1400 invested in my SM CnC heads....bought bare on sale...pac 1903 springs...now the valves and retainers i have had sitting in boxes for some time .....plus valve job and one port flowed.
What did the port flow?
Is the 1400 with or without the valves you had sitting around? Is that what you have all in right now?

What did the port flow?
Is the 1400 with or without the valves you had sitting around? Is that what you have all in right now?
I'm not sure, but I think ProMaxx are 1800 fully assembled. I know, I know, but the cheapies edge so close in price, it is something to think about....

I'm not sure, but I think ProMaxx are 1800 fully assembled. I know, I know, but the cheapies edge so close in price, it is something to think about....
This is the second time you've recommended the pro Max on this Speedmaster thread. I know when I called Speedmaster they said $1, 200 or so for fully CNC fully loaded heads..
Have you found any other flow numbers or comparisons from the pro Max heads to the Speedmaster heads? Is there a pro Max thread that have some comparison numbers for discussion?

1400 with valves....see picture posted by PHR....that was my head....

see post number 53

This is the second time you've recommended the pro Max on this Speedmaster thread. I know when I called Speedmaster they said $1, 200 or so for fully CNC fully loaded heads..
Have you found any other flow numbers or comparisons from the pro Max heads to the Speedmaster heads? Is there a pro Max thread that have some comparison numbers for discussion?
Yeah, pro maxx would outflow out of the box. Didn't think it was any different when somebody wants to rebuild a 318 you suggesting them getting a 360 magnum - - on a 318 thread.... LOL. I'll take the name Pro Maxx and leave..... :D :D :poke:

1400 with valves....see picture posted by PHR....that was my head....
Thank you great stuff!
From looking at your CNC ported Speedmasters (just eyeballing of course) would you say that they would by the looks of them flow a little better than a good port job on a stock head?

Promax shockers come with 2.08 intake valve out of the box....yes...they will out flow the SM head....
Promax valve springs limit valve lift to .600.....not enough....need to change valve springs...
Bare head cost is 1647.00 plus shipping....

I will wait and see how the hand ported ones come back with 2.055 intake from IMM....

Do you have to channel your rear (73&up)fiberglass bumper so it doesn't stick out on the sides to much?

Thank you great stuff!
From looking at your CNC ported Speedmasters (just eyeballing of course) would you say that they would by the looks of them flow a little better than a good port job on a stock head?

Eyeballing **** at my age does not work...let me see what I got in storage.....never know what might be hiding in a box...lol
The SM does not cnc the chamber....only the ports...

Thank you great stuff!
Imo besides lighter weight, the best thing about an aftermarket aluminum head is that they're already little over halfway there when it comes to material removed or how much porting needs to be done to get the numbers everyone considers "good".
No guide kink, guide half the size to begin with, already more cross section, ssr wall bulge/hump non existant, straight wall more straight, tubed head bolt holes as a result. Its work, but a lot less/time.

Imo besides lighter weight, the best thing about an aftermarket aluminum head is that they're already little over halfway there when it comes to material removed or how much porting needs to be done to get the numbers everyone considers "good".
No guide kink, guide half the size to begin with, already more cross section, ssr wall bulge/hump non existant, straight wall more straight, tubed head bolt holes as a result. Its work, but a lot less/time.
Besides weight savings wouldn't the aluminum dissipate heat better and allow for a cooler combustion chamber?

Yeah, pro maxx would outflow out of the box. Didn't think it was any different when somebody wants to rebuild a 318 you suggesting them getting a 360 magnum - - on a 318 thread.... LOL. I'll take the name Pro Maxx and leave..... :D :D :poke:
It's not like that at all, it's just not a good comparison neither in price or performance.. It seems the Edelbrocks are the closest Apples to Apples comparison in the bang for buck Department?
While I'm naturally Gathering information for my wants, I'm trying to keep this about the SM heads...

Besides weight savings wouldn't the aluminum dissipate heat better and allow for a cooler combustion chamber?
Its as hot as the combustion is, the higher energy.. the more heat .and versa. Actually..heat in the chamber is good.
what happens when the a/f enters a hot chamber? they expand ...squeeze boom and on to he next it must carry ...
Thermal conductivity how fast or slow the transfer, i remeber joe baghojian mentioning it when i was 17 yrs old. He was set on some things now looking back. The aluminum head is cooler in a lot of other areas than an iron head, the intake side for instance. But really aside from flow.. you get a measurable amount of power increase from the closed or faster burning chambers 'let alone quench' than from any benefit of "heat dissipation". imo. and i've run pretty high dynamics with open chambers and quench head pistons and know others who are in the 200+ psi range...and now here is this.. it really boils down to a neccesity for adiquate octane to actually realize the potential, or not leave any on the table ...so why bother beyond dynamics of 8.6 or so if you are octane limited/pump gas...
Ill take an extra 20 cfm over half a point , anyday. In the end ..airflow is king.

Last edited:
I'm new to the discussion and I've only hit some of it so I dont know if this has been covered and I apologize if it has. But if you buy any assembled aftermarket heads you need to completely disassemble them and check guides and valves/valve job no matter what brand of head. The problems with the heads can be found before they are ran saving much grief later. TF and AFR have the same problems as Eldelbrock and the China heads it's just that Eldelbrock and the China heads have more.

Here is some pics. These are the bb 1s Kim

374B3A21-BF1F-487B-A953-5F669628BA5E.jpeg

7D9A8D82-0022-4126-95A3-FB0726E4EF11.jpeg

3A4593DE-D37F-4216-94BE-60AB85ECD5FF.jpeg

535D0E07-1ABB-4F5E-B3C3-7BD7D7EA5F8E.jpeg

816AC791-D7F0-4D46-AC16-BD9AF119C08F.jpeg

D5E5A821-A5A0-4D91-9C91-58BAC67A0E72.jpeg

DFF0B71A-ECCE-4993-AE9E-3E5976AC8FB6.jpeg

CE119E55-53A9-4AB5-8431-584E0226BE66.jpeg

My SM's came in a box that was solid white on the out side, but open the box and all the pictures were inside and said procomp. They had taken the time to turn the box inside out but no time to replace it. :realcrazy:

Last edited:
-
Back