Project: "A Body Jr" - 1975 Dodge Colt

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I figure this is a reasonable place to put this build, as I consider this to be the A body's little brother. You all know, the little brother that was smaller then everyone, until...one day...POOF...he sprouted muscles surprises everyone...

Here are some introductory pictures to appease all you picture fiends: Then I will detail build plans and ideas...

As purchsed: Previous owner was a bit of a gothy girl... She named the car is named Clementine?
At their house:
Coltpassengerside.jpg

Coltdriverside.jpg

In my driveway: License plate blanked because it overexposed on the photo and was blinding...
IMG_0222.jpg

Here she sits in hibernation for a couple more weeks:
Turbo032.jpg

Here is some of previous owner's hippie bumper stickers:
Turbo028.jpg

Thankfully has a good grille, as I am sure these are impossible to find:
Turbo021.jpg

Reason for the full frame: Engine room, and rust!
Turbo009-1.jpg

I see a B&M or Hurst, pistol grip automatic right here...
Turbo008.jpg

Gauge positioning could be intersting...
Turbo007.jpg

Interior and door panels are incredibly solid!! :toothy10:
Turbo001-1.jpg

wow sick! What are your plans for it. Make is a track animal? 440 with narrowed dana and wheelie bars?

Plans:
  • 383 Big Block
  • 727 Auto
  • 8.75, C Body housing cut down, with 2.76 gears

--Building a 2x4 tube frame, as front subframes are rusty.

Objective: build a lightweight car with big block torque, that will allow me to hop in and drive to work, or take it to the drag strip for some fun. It will be a low buck build, using many OEM parts, and the combo will be streetable.

I want to take it to the track, but it will not be dedicated / pro street. Narrowed rear end, with a little more meat for tires, but close to stock appearing. A little sleeper effect would be fun.

I am picking up a bandsaw and stand tonight for metal cutting.

Budget so far:
250.00 Colt, Kansas City Craigslist
125.00 383 and 727, u pick it junkyard
250.00 parts for 383, piston, rings, bearings, gaskets, cam, lifters, oil pump
50.00 tune up parts for Colt from Rock Auto: Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, v-belt, brake pads, rear shoes, and rear wheel cylinders :)toothy10:)
Free C body 8.75 (sold A body 8.75, took C body housing in deal)
Free 2.76 center section (came with c body axle)
Free Edelbrock 600 cfm carb (brother in-law wanted a Holley)

675.00 so far for the car, 383 and 727, 8.75 axle, and carb.

Immediate needs:
200.00 2x4 steel tubing to start on the frame.

Longer Term needs:
Intake manifold
Pertronix to convert points distributor that came with JY 383
driveshaft
8.75 axle cut down, and new axles
Wheels
Tires

What a cool project!
I cant wait to see what it turns out like, as I never see Colts around.

Small Update:
I added a critical tool to the garage last night, a band saw.
I look forward to using it for a more precise cut, then with the chop saw or sawzall.

I figure it will also come in handy for smaller metal projects, for motor mounts, etc.
Pics to follow.

I love these cars. My dad has one he ran in pro gas in the 70s. It has a 440 and a clutchglide. Crager supertricks, full 2x3 frame with ladderbars and modified pinto front end. I will see if I can find a few pics. Search Bison Dragways in SD. Lots of midwest prostock and other dragcars. Here are a few I love.

Attachments

• 1970-dodge-colt-showing-off.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,730
  • DSC02686_detail.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,456
I love these cars. My dad has one he ran in pro gas in the 70s. It has a 440 and a clutchglide. Crager supertricks, full 2x3 frame with ladderbars and modified pinto front end. I will see if I can find a few pics. Search Bison Dragways in SD. Lots of midwest prostock and other dragcars. Here are a few I love.

Holy Schmitt!! That's not a garage, that's a car guy living room. Beautiful shop. Can we see more???? L8r

Jim

Have Mercy!

I so want that garage.

Another couple weeks and it will be in the garage on stands just like the 2nd pictures, and then I am getting to work....

I have been keeping my eye open for one of these. Wouldn't it be cool to make a sleeper out of one of these with a turbo small block and go spank some ricers on a saturday night?

I have been keeping my eye open for one of these. Wouldn't it be cool to make a sleeper out of one of these with a turbo small block and go spank some ricers on a saturday night?

I am more thinking turbo big block. :twisted:

I have thoughts on a secondary build of a rear mount system, where the turbo sits on top of the muffler, fed through the muffler, and then dumps back into the muffler. The idea is NOT MINE, I saw it on TTF a while back. The turbos sit above the muffler, so they are almost invisible, and he runs the charge back to the front through tubing under the ground effects.

Granted, this is a long ways away, but since I am building the frame, I don't think it would be TOO hard to keep this idea in mind during the frame build. Perhaps round tubing running along the inside of the frame? Perhaps seal the frame, and run the charge back up through the frame itself?

That will be 2nd incarnation for sure...

What are you doing for front suspension?

Intially gonna try to keep it pretty simple. The front "cradle" bolts to the underside of the stock front frame. The 2x4 frame appears to be very similar in dimension to the stamped steel front frame. If it works as I envision, I will mock up the new front section of the frame, drill out the front subframe, and bolt the stock crossmember, which mounts the lower control arm. The upper will probably be round tube from frame, up to strut tower, and back down. Even the idler arm merely bolts to the frame.
Initally, the goal is to build a full frame that will replace the unibody frame, with tubular upper strut mount, and retain the stock steering and stock style strut front end. If the stock stuff is too weak, then I will build my own, but for my first go round, hopefully keep as much as possible, I am considering a coil over system with the strong upper brace like I have seen from some of the likes of AlterK, etc, which would allow more engine compartment room. The inner fenders are already rusty, so coilover would allow me to build new ones, and have more engine compartment space.

Suggestions?

Looks like a fun build. Enjoy your time building it.

I had no idea how small this car was til I got it in the garage. Walking room all around! I pulled fenders, and hood. Fenders weight a whopping 11 lbs each (that is with the bondo'd lower sections.) Hood is pretty light too, I will weight it next time I have it off the top of the car.

I got the Colt moved inside Saturday afternoon. I pressure washed the garage floor first, and blasted as much of the Colt as possible:

Keggerintake005.jpg

Keggerintake002.jpg

Keggerintake003.jpg

-
Back