Project: "A Body Jr" - 1975 Dodge Colt

-
Thankfully, the tail lights are in good shape. I am going to hit with some superfine steel wool, but I am really tempted to go with a wrinkle black finish and polish the lenses... Opinions?

Keggerintake020.jpg

The nitty gritty: Rust.
Keggerintake024.jpg

Keggerintake026.jpg

Keggerintake021.jpg

Keggerintake012.jpg

Colts? Crickets? Arrows? I haven't seen any of those in going on forever. Gotta keep an eye on this one.

My H.S. buddy had a 76 Colt 2dr. Loads of fun in it. The big factory engine option was a kit called a C2. Came with carbs/head/cam. I still have my brothers 80 Colt FWD twin stick. And do not forget the Fire Arrows with the 2.6!

My 8 year old and I got some time in on the car today. We pulled front fenders (held on by self tapping screws into the welded fendor supports):angry7:, grille (perfect shape!:toothy10:) and head lights and trim. One of the welded buckets is bent from apparent accident. The previous body work is total hack job. Self tapping screws holding the bottom of the fenders (which look surprisingly good except for the bottom 8 inches behind the wheels), and the firewall to radiator core support butcher job. Regardless, most of the affected areas, including inner fenders, are part of the repair job anyways, and fabricated fenders will allow me to buy as much engine compartment room as possible. The bumper brackets are literally welded to the front frame horns.

Keggerintake037.jpg

Keggerintake038.jpg

Keggerintake039.jpg

Keggerintake040.jpg

Keggerintake042.jpg

Keggerintake044.jpg

Wow man, I applaud your efforts, thats a lot of rust!
I bet some people would run screaming, especially on a low-money car like a Colt.
I can't wait to see your progress!

Nice Project.....Colts are allot of fun....especially when you get them to the track....people always ask....Is that a Datsun? Funny!! Here's a pic of ours that my 17 year old son bracket races.....Its an old school Pro Stock car from the mid 70's.....we now have a pump gas 318 in it and has went a best of 10.40 with a 390CFM 4BBL holley....thats right 390CFM....engine made 55 more HP with a 750 on but I just want the boy to get use to driving the car at low 10's b4 we hit the 9's....Jesse

Attachments

• Picture 6167.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 768
The colt resto was last winters project and this is this winters project....its an 80 Plymouth Arrow with tube chassis that was built in the mid 80's....This car will be for my 15 year old son to start racing next year......right now were updating the cage and then the fun will begin....Jesse

Attachments

• DSC01233.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 764
BIGS, you rock!

Do you have any more pictures of the underside of the Colt? I would be indebted to you if you had any more pictures... I wonder if my general ideas on frame, etc will play out...

glad to see the Colt project movin forward! i went through ALOT of bud lights to get mine done...major undertaking! mine just sits in the barn now. hasnt seen a dragstrip since spring 09. kind of a waste considering all that work!
again, good luck!

man Id love to have an early colt.....Id do it as a 318 powered sleeper, stock styled steel wheels and all. Heck, Id try for 30 MPG with a smallblock:cheers:

glad to see the Colt project movin forward! i went through ALOT of bud lights to get mine done...major undertaking! mine just sits in the barn now. hasnt seen a dragstrip since spring 09. kind of a waste considering all that work!
again, good luck!

Yeah it finally is time to move.
I am going with your hint, it is going to be a 383 big block build.

Got any more pictures of yours?

man Id love to have an early colt.....Id do it as a 318 powered sleeper, stock styled steel wheels and all. Heck, Id try for 30 MPG with a smallblock:cheers:

I really thought about the 318, I have a rollar block at my disposal, but I have more of the big block, and 540Demon gave me the idea that a big block with the front distributor would work better then a small block with the rear distributor.

Lower area are the only rusty part of the fenders. The upper flange is in good shape.
Keggerintake060.jpg

Keggerintake061.jpg

With filler removed:
Keggerintake056.jpg

I am going with a rectangular tubing in either 2x3 or 2x4, since much of the stock front frame is square like this:
Keggerintake052.jpg

The front "crossmember" runs side to side and bolts to the bottom of the frame. If I keep the front frame square tubing of the same basic height, I should be able to keep the "crossmember" which also is the mount point for the lower control arms.
Keggerintake049.jpg

The lower control control arms have a perfect open area that are begging to be reinforced...
Keggerintake051.jpg

Some addition shots of the reason I decided to build the frame...
Keggerintake055.jpg

Keggerintake053.jpg

The sway bar attaches nicely to the bottom of the frame, AND the lower control arms have the tabs for the ends of the sway bar.
Keggerintake046.jpg

more colt ****...

Attachments

• colt3403.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 749
  • colt3402.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 744
  • colt3401.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 851
  • 1_Dyer.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 951
Here are 2 of the best examples you can find for an up to date style on these awesome litlle cars!

First a 3/4 chassis, look as the stance on this car without damaging the factory body lines or wheel openings it is really awesome!
CIMG3076.jpg

CIMG3079.jpg

And here is a Stock Chassis ladder bar version with stock front suspension!
CIMG3081.jpg

CIMG3083.jpg

theres a guy floating around TurboDodge.com that has one that has a 2.4L turbo that is backed by a 904 or 727 thats running atleast low-10's....yards the wheels a good 2 feet off the line.

Here are 2 of the best examples you can find for an up to date style on these awesome litlle cars!

First a 3/4 chassis, look as the stance on this car without damaging the factory body lines or wheel openings it is really awesome!
CIMG3076.jpg

CIMG3079.jpg

And here is a Stock Chassis ladder bar version with stock front suspension!
CIMG3081.jpg

CIMG3083.jpg

Those are AWESOME! :notworth: Where did you find them. The black wheels was on my to do list, WOW! Do you have any more details? \\:D/:supz::evil4:

Yeah, the "repair work" is pretty butch.
theres a guy floating around TurboDodge.com that has one that has a 2.4L turbo that is backed by a 904 or 727 thats running atleast low-10's....yards the wheels a good 2 feet off the line.

I think I have seen some pictures of his build, but would always love more details and ideas...

-
Back