Project- Bills Buggy

-
Cool vid Bill, and a little bit younger Man applying the foot for the burnout as well. LOL
Great Times,
Thanks for sharing.
Brad

Cool vid Bill, and a little bit younger Man applying the foot for the burnout as well. LOL
Great Times,
Thanks for sharing.
Brad

Only 3 years younger LOL... Its amazing how much gray hair pops up in just 3 years. Thanks for checking out the vid..

Too cool Bill!!! Sweet burnout!!!! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Hey there gang... Well, It was a long night at my buddy Ed's shop, but we got the buggy ready for the season.. A week ahead of where I wanted... Still things to do (they're really never done) such as the bucket seats, quarter stick, and mini starter, and some carb tuning.. but thats another day.. shes together and pretty and the wife and I just got her ready for her first show in 2 years... I was gonna take pics there to post here (and probably still will) but I couldnt wait.. LOL .. enjoy the post stripe, all together again buggy **** (including my now installed tach signed by Mr Norm at last years Mopar Nats)... Tell me what you all think...

Those photos are sweet! Your ride rocks dude!

Nice burnout, Bill! Good to see you and your Dart are both alive & well.

lol thanks... Its good to hear from you.. Was wondering if you were still around, hadnt seen any posts from you recently.. I took the buggy to work with me Thursday, for her last time out this season.. It was a bummer to put her away until this spring.. this will be the first time in 3 years that I wasnt doing something to the buggy over the winter.. though in some ways thats a relief LOL .. Keep in touch my friend

Wow... been a couple months..forgot how much I missed the buggy thread.. LOL .. actually there isnt anything really new to report as she's tucked away for winter... But I am starting my plans for early spring.. which at this point include, new super stock springs, and getting my seat tracks all fixed up, putting bucket seats in, and getting my quarter stick in.. I am curious though, my wife still likes the bench.. I am looking for some input on how well a quarter stick (or something like that) works with a bench seat... can it be done with some relative comfort, or is gonna be a lean forward all the time kind of thing? ... chime in please, or anyone with this setup and a bench, post some pics... thanks

hopefully I get this figured out soon so I know which way to go.. leave the bench or go with buckets... I have bucket seats (out of a later B body) and a-body seat tracks (though they need repaired) .. but then I have to factor in the cost of getting custom covers made for the buckets as opposed to the cost of recovering the stock bench (something Legendary carries) .. is it more feasable to have a custom pedastal fabricated to get the quarter stick off the floor and create less of a reach... ugh.. so many decisions LOL ... i def need some input and pics if possible

hopefully I get this figured out soon so I know which way to go.. leave the bench or go with buckets... I have bucket seats (out of a later B body) and a-body seat tracks (though they need repaired) .. but then I have to factor in the cost of getting custom covers made for the buckets as opposed to the cost of recovering the stock bench (something Legendary carries) .. is it more feasable to have a custom pedastal fabricated to get the quarter stick off the floor and create less of a reach... ugh.. so many decisions LOL ... i def need some input and pics if possible

I like the bench :glasses7:

I like the bench :glasses7:

I do as well Keith.. Like I said the issue for me is comfort.. Im 6'2.. having the Hurst Quarter stick on the floor in frong of the bench creates the 'monkey grip' as I call it LOL .. where I have to lean forward to shift gears.. personally I can sell off the bucket seat stuff and recoup some of my $ and put that towards getting my bench recovered.. do you have any pics? while im at it... whats in your car?

Hey buddy, you can see in my thread how I fabbed up my b&m pro ratchet. I think it would have been comfortable with the bench even if I had not went with buckets. Maybe a slight but of leaning over to shift... But you could always make a custom extented shift arm to bring it up to a more comfortable height.

However I really like my bucket set up I fabbed up in the duster. The seats feel and look great. Shifter feels natural where I located it. Gave it more of a sporty feel.

Then again, maybe the wife wants to sit next to you while you cruise?.

It's a tough choice to debate on but I'm sure whatever choice you make it will look good!

Hey buddy, you can see in my thread how I fabbed up my b&m pro ratchet. I think it would have been comfortable with the bench even if I had not went with buckets. Maybe a slight but of leaning over to shift... But you could always make a custom extented shift arm to bring it up to a more comfortable height.

However I really like my bucket set up I fabbed up in the duster. The seats feel and look great. Shifter feels natural where I located it. Gave it more of a sporty feel.

Then again, maybe the wife wants to sit next to you while you cruise?.

It's a tough choice to debate on but I'm sure whatever choice you make it will look good!

LOL clearly this isnt a decision I will be able to make overnight or anything.. and though my wife does like to get next to me in the buggy from time to time, having the shifter on the floor would kinda mess that up a bit anyways.. LOL ...

Could always go with the b-body bench pistol-grip shifter, it's longer. I have a friend that has a Road Runner that he does exactly that. When he knows he's gonna be crusin he puts the longer throw on for comfort and if someone needs a lesson or two on you should leave this old 'MOPAR" alone he switches to the shorter throw pistol-grip shifter. He loves it. You may not want a Pistol-Grip but same idea for what your asking. Keep the bench and get or fab a longer shifter-bar. :) just my two cents.

Brad

Could always go with the b-body bench pistol-grip shifter, it's longer. I have a friend that has a Road Runner that he does exactly that. When he knows he's gonna be crusin he puts the longer throw on for comfort and if someone needs a lesson or two on you should leave this old 'MOPAR" alone he switches to the shorter throw pistol-grip shifter. He loves it. You may not want a Pistol-Grip but same idea for what your asking. Keep the bench and get or fab a longer shifter-bar. :) just my two cents.

Brad

Thought about stuff like that.. but how would you make a longer shifter for the quarter stick.. I have to be able to grab the lever to allow it to shift from 2nd to drive...

So for my info, on an auto. the shaft can't be unbolted? humph well that's just wrong :) lol

I do as well Keith.. Like I said the issue for me is comfort.. Im 6'2.. having the Hurst Quarter stick on the floor in front of the bench creates the 'monkey grip' as I call it LOL .. where I have to lean forward to shift gears.. personally I can sell off the bucket seat stuff and recoup some of my $ and put that towards getting my bench recovered.. do you have any pics? while im at it... whats in your car?

LOL clearly this isnt a decision I will be able to make overnight or anything.. and though my wife does like to get next to me in the buggy from time to time, having the shifter on the floor would kinda mess that up a bit anyways.. LOL ...

ok, i might be in left field with this idea but i had it a car i had awhile back it was cool

reverse pattern manual valve body on the stock column shift....on the column is really nice for reverse pattern.....you start in "D" which is then 1 and pull the lever down through the gears.......pulling the lever down is nice bcoz you stay away from N and R

plus that gives a factory look, gives your lady room and shifter is real cheap :razz:

ok, i might be in left field with this idea but i had it a car i had awhile back it was cool

reverse pattern manual valve body on the stock column shift....on the column is really nice for reverse pattern.....you start in "D" which is then 1 and pull the lever down through the gears.......pulling the lever down is nice bcoz you stay away from N and R

plus that gives a factory look, gives your lady room and shifter is real cheap :razz:

I appreciate the input Rani... here are some key things I failed to mention.. I have already put a forward pattern, manual shift valve body in the tranny.. So..shifting is still the normal progression... and though column shift is 'lady room' friendly (lol) I have never liked column shifting.. I have always preferred it on the floor... (shifting that is LOL) .. also, my wife purchased the Hurst quarter stick for me last year as an anniversary present... since I first got the buggy, I have gone back and forth with changing it from bench to buckets (I have always preferred buckets) but she really likes the bench.. and over time it grew on me as well.. Still, I purchased bucket seats, and seat tracks (like I said, they need repaired though) .. but still.. I cant seem to make up my mind.. this of course is not my first moments of indecision during the buggy's resto process... lol

I am also trying to take cost into consideration.. the upholstry guy who did my top qouted me $250-$300 per bucket seat for a custom job to have my buckets match the factory back seat... (the buggy has the two tone blue seat covers) .. plus I would still have to buy a new back seat cover ($253 from Legendary) and have it recovered.. A new front bench cover is $360 (also from Legendary)... It would actually be cheaper to have the benches recovered in the long run...

So... the debate in my head rages on.. I guess the next step is gonna have to be taking the quarter stick and setting it on the floor, and seeing just how far I will have to lean forward to shift, or the possibility of having a pedastal fabbed up to get the shifter up a little higher... and the way I figure it, even with the shifter on the floor in front of the bench, if my wife wants to get close, im sure she'll find a way LOL ... I am still hoping to find some pics of the floor shift/bench seat combo's

After reading.... It sounds like the choice is pretty clear... You just are over thinking the pros and cons of each so much that it's making it to easy for you not to know the clear choice. Sounds like your a fan of buckets, sounds like your a fan of floor shifting, sounds like you have the buckets already and sounds like your wife might be disappointed if you don't get to use the present she got you lil. All that said... I'm going to say... Go buckets!.

Yes your looking at getting the buckets redone... BUT you can always sell the bench seat to recoupe some cash ( I sold the bench out of my duster a few years ago here on fabo. I think the guy gave me $650 bucks for it.... Cost me $100.00 to ship it across country but still had a good chunk left over). I only paid $500 for my duster when I originally got it... So the seat alone paid for my car and then some lol.

From personal experience I will say that you can beat the comfy old springy feel of a bench seat and being able to have your lady under your arm. But when I switched to buckets the interior feel of the car changed drastically. Now it feels tight and firm and sporty (the seat/shifter combo that is haha).

Up to you but I'm thinking buckets is the way to go!

-
Back