Project Confused

-
I am curious as I have a 64 and thinking about front brakes and suspension. Have you decided what you are doing upfront yet?

to answer your question im going full on corvette C4 jsut mocked up all the parts and it will be a easy fit will be posting all the pieces I will fab up to make it a bolt in unit including what i have to modify

here are some pics of the mock up

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/bubbajoexx/myvaliant001_zps1707f4bd.jpg

well here we go I will be cutting 2.5 inches from the center of the cross member to get the corect wheel track the pic above shows where the cut will be maid

now here is what was taken out of the cross member to make it the right track width
myvaliant002_zps47468579.jpg

here is the area welded back together
myvaliant001_zps00c6259e.jpg

myvaliant003_zps084b6263.jpg

myvaliant004_zps634b0ffd.jpg

myvaliant005_zps479042e6.jpg

Hey Joe,

Glad to see you joined the Vette front suspension band-wagon; they are so easy to work on and so well supported by the aftermarket it made my choice easy. Funny thing is before I went with the complete Art Morrison setup I was considering doing exactly what you did, but since the Morrison setup came complete I sold off the cross-member. All in all it was probably a better choice for me since my cross member was aluminum.

Are Hemi and RB motor mount measurements the same? If they are I'll measure the distance between my mounts this weekend when I get back to the shop, so let me know.

Awesome work!

yup the same for all engines small block rb and early hemi all the same side to side

I don't know if I'm going to the shop tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday, but I'll see what I can do about getting you the measurement.

well I have been hard at work started to shorten my rack for proper alinement since taking 2.5 inches out of the cross member I have to do the same with the rack to keep the inner tie rods in line with the pivot point of the lower control arms just waiting to go to the machine shop to get the rack inner rod cut and re drilled and theaded so the tie rod can rack can be reassembled

also got the fraim rail that was rotted out removed and will pull out the last 12 inches tomorrow

once the frame and suspension is installed I will bend up some new inner pannels to replace the old ones as i dont need the hump any more

Hey Joe,

I have to apologize; I forgot I have custom engine mounts in my car so my measurements would do you no good.

Sorry about that,

Bob

well have got some more done today
replaced the rotted frame rail with the good used one from Lee after cleaning off all the pieces not being used here are a few shots

also test fit the new cross member for fit so i can determine the filler pieces i will need

Hey Joe,

Are you also over on Pennock's Fiero Forum? The name on your pics looked familiar.
Neat project!

Jay

Subscribed! I just put a C4 frontend in a 53 Chevy pickup a few weeks back and it was ridiculously easy compared to what you would think. Since then I have a line on another complete front C4. I am seriously considering the swap in my 69 Valiant now. My only concern is that shortened rack. If you dont mind... a few pictures of the rack modification?
Thanks man!

Im using a mustang 2 rack easy to shorten just knock off the outside aluminum mounting bracket cut how much you need to shorten the knock it back on and then cut the shaft on the same side the same amount then redrill and tap the new hole to the correct thread size and re install the inner tie rods and boots and your done have a whole lot ofpics to post tomorrow as I have built a new k frame for the vette suspension

this is the shortened rack installed

well worked some more today and welded up the new K frame here are the pics

Instead of using the bulky K frame I used it to build a new one that will give me more room for the engine it will be welded into place on the car using the sadles on each side then the upper mounts for the upper control arms will be installed

Hey Joe, you are obviously very talented when it comes to fabrication. Some people don't much appreciate mixing and matching parts from the other makes. I'm not one of those. You are doing some amazing work here. Perhaps even a marketable front end kit!! Keep it up.....you're teaching a few of us here some new tricks.

This is a really interesting build. New stuff I haven't seen before. Great.

been a few days since I posted last so here is the latest update decided touse thew corvette cross member with a steering mount mod and have now tacked it into the car here are the pics so far

myvaliant011_zps0911f2cd.jpg

myvaliant010_zps0bf2aaf4.jpg

myvaliant009_zpsb8449077.jpg

myvaliant008_zps203e1ea8.jpg

myvaliant007_zpsc35a3b2e.jpg

myvaliant006_zps51f341a4.jpg

myvaliant005_zpsef4c6312.jpg

myvaliant004_zpsc4083761.jpg

myvaliant003_zps0386164d.jpg

myvaliant002_zpsa944340c.jpg

myvaliant001_zps13fe8053.jpg

where the silver lines are that area will be removed once welded into place and the boxed in for streinght

the wheels i will be using are Shelby Cal 500's from the late 60's 15x7 front 15x11 rear

Looks Good man!

A few questions:

1. The track width was the reason for narrowing the cross member correct?

2. Because I have not done any real research into this yet.... Could you have gotten away with leaving the track width alone and running a wheel something like the factory vette offset? Would it have fit under the fenders?

3. Having to make clearance for the oil pan, where are you going to add material back in? At the front near the rack or do you have something else planned toward the rear of the motor to replace all the structure you'll have to remove?

4. Are you going to have to notch the factory frame rails to allow clearance for travel of the upper control arms?

You are doing great work man. Love to see this stuff!

Looks Good man!

A few questions:

1. The track width was the reason for narrowing the cross member correct? yes if you are installing it in a 67 and up you do not need to shorten the cross member if using neg offset wheels

2. Because I have not done any real research into this yet.... Could you have gotten away with leaving the track width alone and running a wheel something like the factory vette offset? Would it have fit under the fenders? The track width is 62 inches and the 67 up a body is 61 so you will be safe

3. Having to make clearance for the oil pan, where are you going to add material back in? At the front near the rack or do you have something else planned toward the rear of the motor to replace all the structure you'll have to remove? I am removing the upper part only then filling it in with 1/8 plate and that will re strengthen the cross member

4. Are you going to have to notch the factory frame rails to allow clearance for travel of the upper control arms? no need to notch the frame as the upper arm travel is above the rails

You are doing great work man. Love to see this stuff!

stay tuned more coming soon answers are all in blue text

well here is a small update .I have put the motor mounts into the front using the old K frame so they will be in the correct location here are some pics

000_0008_zpsd2c94981.jpg

000_0007_zps0b63cb7b.jpg

000_0006_zpsdd695be5.jpg

and i will ankore the rear using brackets like this

000_0007zx_zpsec9e2208.jpg

000_0004ZX_zps546b6432.jpg

-
Back