Project Plain Jane

-
Been busy cleaning out the interior and washing up moldy stuff before storing it.
YUCK!
IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Much better! These seats are actually in good shape,with original covers. There is one small nick in the seat and a tear on the top back half.

They still stink like mold so Im leaving them in the sun for a natural UV disinfection,and I'll spray em with lysol as well.

IMG_2092.jpg

I love this steering wheel but it's in bad shape. The original resin plastic shrunk and cracked very badly. However all the pieces are there,so I'll get some good epoxy putty and go to town. It'll make a good winter project

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

I washed it up and partially dissasembled it.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

There's more stuff to haul out yet..
IMG_2085.jpg

did a bit more. So far the steerring column,wiper motor and front windshield stainless trim have been removed.Not to mention I removed all the stuff I was storing inside.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

Heater box and motor are next,as the only things holding them in place is the inner glove box needs be removed.
IMG_2156.jpg

I removed the trim from the windshield. Lots of dried out butyl made it a fight!
IMG_2153.jpg

I dont see any rust YET in the window corner,but likely cant tell till the windsheild is out anyways

IMG_2152.jpg

Thanks for the update Paul. Your Dart is an example of a project that's not quick or easy, it's important for people to see this!

"I dont see any rust YET in the window corner,but likely cant tell till the windsheild is out anyways"

once its out i can find it. i am very good at that. lol

still planning on blasting this year Paul? i am ready when you are.

Glad to see some progress, Paul. Lookin good.

Keep at it.. a little at a time is much better than none at all. Wish I was getting that much done!

Grant

Chris; YES! I am planning on coming up,we'll see how far I get. I thought the fall might be a good time to be in your neck of the woods,as the deer are legal to shoot! So I could kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak,and possibly bag a deer on the way there or back.

I have taken the hour here and there approach. It seems to be the only one I can handle anyway. After I fought the windshield trim off,I was shaking like a leaf so I laid down in the interior and removed the wiper motor. Upon trying to sit up and get out for the 4th time I finally got the message and quit for the day,lol!

Thanks for the encouragement guys,it's getting tougher and tougher but Im not giving up.

Made a run across the border to pick up this.

IMG_2158.jpg

Yes thier made in Taiwan and I am NOT normally a guy to go for that,but; I am on a really limited budget AND these have a life time warrantee. A member here posted a link for them at amazon and I KNEW I'd NEVER get a better deal.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

Im having a good day! The border gaurd was nice enough to let the socket kit slide. It was a grand total of $37,so I guess he couldnt be bothered,lol.

I even got free shipping via Amazon.com!

It's too bad the folks at waneta quick stop have to be such a miserable lot....You'd think they would be happy Im buying something from the U.S but it's more like they just dont want you there.

Got some more items pulled today. Side window arch trim,A pillar trim,rear window trim etc etc.At least the instrument cluster and heater panel plastic is in good shape,as is all the interior trim.

IMG_2167.jpg

Started working the window gasket free and pried JUST A BIT TOO HARD. THE WINDOW HAS SOME NICE CRACKS NOW,LOL.:violent2:

Oh well, it happens..

And all I need remove to get at the headliner is the dome light and headliner bows. Oh and those fiddly little clips they use at the roof pinch weld on the headliner.

It looks like some sort of tape is used to seal the headliner to the roof at the leading edge near the windshield. Nowadays there is just spray adhesive for that.

I keep having a very nosey fellow in a Ford diesel pickup stop outside my garage door while I am inside working on pulling the Dart apart. He doesnt get out and peek in but sits outside the door idling the engine and perhaps he is scoping my stuff for potential theft. I remember this same guy from one day several months ago. I had the Vans insurance papers tucked under the wipers and was at the rear of the vehicle putting new insurance stickers on my plates. This bugger slowed right down and came within several feet of my van,made as if he was going to get out. I stepped out from behind the van and the guilt was plain to see. He stepped on it and roared away.

We have had our vehicles broke into many times in this neighbouthood and I think I am leaning towards suspicion of this individual.We have had cd's,pocket change etc go missing.

I have a 500 watt halogen security light I am going to install inside the garage,and have it triggered from a motion sensor.

I would also like something VERY loud to go off,a siren of some sort. I have a pair of C body horns,hehe.. in a tiny 12 x 24 garage the sound should be deafening.

How can I wire the horns in and make it work? I guess I need to step the 120 volt down to 12 volt and go from there.I'd also like the system to have a 30 second delay,so I can get inside and disarm it before it go's off on me!

Was only in the garage maybe 1.5 hrs? Got the windshield and gasket out. The frame corners dont look too bad,but there is stilll lots of crap to remove before I can have a real look

Then the Dash came out. I unbolted it and laid it upside down on the floor. Then I unhooked everything. Hell of a lot better than layin underneath it.

Then the heater box,which was only held in with the hook on the end of the air door hinge rod. So all in all lots came out with minimal effort.

Picks!!

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Wasnt able to save the windshield,but I did save the gasket and with some elbow grease it may be reuseable.

IMG_2182.jpg

I have a doc saved to my puter for instructions on how to flip the heater motor around.
IMG_2181.jpg

Original AM radio,still works!

IMG_2180.jpg

Friggin headlight knob wont come off! Time for some lube..
IMG_2183.jpg

Been at it again. Ever sooo slowly plugging away. Got the headliner out today and came to the conclusion I'll need to cut the rear seal to save the glass.

IMG_2198.jpg

The back glass is coming out tommorrow.

IMG_2199.jpg

Wonder what I'll find in the window corner? Im thinkin RUST!

IMG_2200.jpg

Back glass is out!:blob:

And I didnt crack it! Was in really good as someone glued the seal. So I cut off the inner seal lip and push/pried the glass out from the inside.

IMG_2225.jpg

I almost got the wiring harness removed from the interior as well,but that bulkhead connector was giving me too much grief and I was soooooo tired..

looking good Paul. i am trying to swing a deal on some soda that a guy bought and the business went t-up before it ever started. If i can get it, your blast job will be about 1/4 the price. It will cost you more in fuel bringing it here than the actual job

Sounds GREAT! As Tony the Tiger would say..

Im working on the gas mileage thing here. I built a small device and put it on my Van . The mileage around town and on highway has really picked up! 17 mpg city vs 15 before and 27 hwy vs 23-4 max.

Now I WISH the p/u would get that kind of mileage! Im working on building a second but different device for the truck which is supposed to make a very dramatic difference,not just 3-4 mpg.

As for the Dart,I have help now from a not so busy nieghbour. Thats good because I really dont think Im up for pulling that heavy diff all by myself.

I do really want to weld the replacement right 1/4 panel on before coming up as I'd be doing the structural integrity of the car NO favours by transporting it the way it is. Got another bud who is real keen on helping with it!

Thanks Cliff:wave:

I've been itching to get back out to the Dart. Got some stuff to do tommorow but ya never know! I might finish moving the wiring

I'll get a pic tommorow. I noticed on removal of the dash,that a fat red wire was melted right through the insulation!

Probably a good idea! Im not quite decided on how to lay the new gauges out but they would definitely benefit from one!

-
Back