Project Plain Jane

-
Thanks for the update on how you're feeling Paul. It's inspiring to see your determination and figuring out how to beat your symptoms.

Thanks so much my Fabo friends! I really need the encouragement you are sending my way. Believe me it helps,because my wife also has M.S and hasnt adopted my diet. She dos drink the daily smoothies which help,but still I have been left to hold this family together. For example this morning;Feed and cloth the kids for school,make thier lunches,feed the dog,put the garbage and recycling out,make my smoothie,then drive my wife to her appointment. Then I need to buy dog food,and shop in the health food store,then go pick her up. She dos not have a license.

Sooooooo yes,most days I have zero left for anything other than running this house and family.Would LOVE to have nothing to do other than my Dart,but **** always crops up dont it?

I am up to my ears with my truck right now too. 92 GM which does not run anymore. Im in the process of removing the fuel line and tank,injectors,filter etc. It did run after I cleaned the injectors,but only for 20 seconds or so,then the injectors plugged up again,or so I think.I need this truck for this winter. Its a 4x4,and we live in the mountains near a ski resort. We get lots of snow each yr,so the truck is almost essential. The last time I attemted to drive our mini van in the winter I got stuck and damn near rolled it down a bank.So wish me luck with the old truck..

Guys heres another update! My health continues to sdeadily improve,slwly but surely. My left hand is capable of making a tight strong fist once more,so strong my good friend Joe cannot pry it open. Big change from not being able to keep it closed at all!!!!

I am getting closer and closer. I have had to hold fast and really be strict about my eating habits. But it is working!!!

Was in the park throwing a ball for my dog last week,and in between throws I managed 130 squat thrusts! Granted it was done in sets of 10 to 15 but thats a far cry away from a guy who had trouble rising from a squat 6 months ago,and was using a cane 10 months ago.

And today Im breaking out my pressure washer,in an attempt to clean up and apply some zypex sealant to my house.

I feel pretty great!!!

I still need to tackle several projects before I can get to my Dart,but I do feel capable now.

Good to hear you're feeling better now Paul.
Lots of us here are struggling with our health here this year so it seems.

You still live in Trail don't you. I am sure I have seen that garage before.
I have been to Trail many many times , I am sure I have driven past that garage.
Or this is some deja vu stuff happening. LOL . Oh very cool project by the way , I hope to see it cruising the West Kootenays soon. Cheers.

I remember when you first shared you were sick. It was so sad to read it made me cry. Now I have a tear but it's the happy kind. It takes a lot of will and determination to do what you've done.

Somehow I missed this thread over the last few years! I have to say that this is much more than a story about a cool Dart. Your story is very inspiring. I am looking forward to seeing more progress on your Dart and your health!!

Thanks for the inspiration! Many times I look at a thread here and wish it was me and my project going so well. But I am what I am and need to be patient beyond what most people could reasonably expect. So far my discipline and strength have proven to be strong enough to carry me through a bad case of the shingles last December. Stress brought it about,it had to do with my home life but mostly resolved now and although I was flat on my back for most of December,as soon as I could I got right back on the horse. Have been working out with my weights 3 days/week and accompanying my kids downtown for walks to thier school bus pickup point. The stairs are pretty steep,I'll see about getting a pic up tommorow. It's a pretty stiff routine,and very taxing but has proven to be to my benefit. Since I started it my left hands last vestiges of numbness have all but gone,and my left arm and bicep are regaining strength. My confidence in myself is returning ,and I feel like I may be able to return to work.

Pretty soon I'll post a pic of my physical progress. Im actually looking muscular!!

Still here folks!! Feeling so healthy lately...Heres what a typical day entails now. Rise at 6:30 A,M walk with my son to his bus stop. It's downtown so we need to take stairs.Theres better than 100 and they are VERY steep,maybe a 45 deg hill. Come back up those wicked stairs and straight to the local park with my dog,throw the ball for about an hour. home for a quick rest,and then of to the gyn for 1/2hr to an hour.. Plus all the usual stuff ,like dishes cutting the grass etc.Plus been scraping paint from the house with a heat gun and putty knife.5 layers of paint lol...

Had a meeting with my employers last week,going back to work soon .

Sorry for the delay in the restoration but sometimes life happens and you need to prioritise things. The Dart is still there,always will be but health is fleeting so need to take care of myself and my family first.

Maybe by the time I get to the drivetrain on my Dart,good quality batteries will be cheap and I can go electric. Really love the thought of an instant 600 ft/lb electric motor,lol...

Thanks for the update Paul! You are showing people that MS can be overcome, even though it's takes a lot of work and determination. Many in your situation would have given up, but you did not!

Thanks David!! I'll get a couple before and after pics up someday,just to demonstrate the power of proper diet and excercise. Paleo diet has made a huge difference for me! I think most folks are unaware that many of the foods on the shelf these days are almost pure poison. The North American diet is behind a LOT OF DISEASE...inflammation is driven by all the preservatives,pesticides and genetic modifications.

It takes a brave person to accept the truth about this matter,and balls to step out and do something about it. The truth is your body is ADDICTED to the suger and gluten in your diet and this has changed the bacteria in your bowels. Those bacteria being changed DRIVE and SUPPORT disease and addiction...I am not the only one getting well. There is a dietary revolution happening right now. MANY folks are overcoming disease with a good micronutrient diet.

Hmm strange but this thread doesnt show up on the recent thread list after a new post...

Thanks Tony! Another update; Returned to work for 3 weeks,but the job was not appropriate for my capabilities,so back to waiting for the right spot.My Union has been fundamental in enforcing my rights,thank GOD!! On the plus side I think my 360 is sold;good for the car fund! I believe a better fit at work is just around the corner....

Health wise I'm always coming back stronger from little setbacks. Am able to swim about 15-18 laps in an Olympic size pool these days,vast improvement from sinking after one!

My Dart and I miss eachother....

My man,you are excited! So go grab ,what you can.... A bit at a time.....

Thanks,will do! Slow and steady wins the race with this fight. I have learned to NEVER overdo it,much to my chagrin. If pushed too hard,my symptoms can come back in a hurry,but also ease off rapidly these days as well. No longer need years and years to rest up. A few weeks an Im as good as gold again. In facr,as long as I work within my limits,my day to day is almost like no disease whatsoever,and that is after less than 2 yrs. Im thinking after 5 yrs I will be almost normal.Ie;today on my walk with my dog,I ALMOST broke into a run. My pace was a VERY rapid walk. Only thing holding me back is that caution not to overdo it..

Nice to see you enthusiastic... I usually wear several hats a day. Experience and time management, really makes it more enjoyable.

O.K, I think this counts as progress of a sort. I sold my 360 4 bbl,and got it loaded up yesterday. No easy task in the dead of winter. The truck is on a roughly 20 to 25 degree slope in the drive way in order to leave enough wiggle room in the carport for the hoist.I'd load up a few pics,but it seems it has been too long since I've done that here. Cant seem to load them directly anymore with a simple copy and paste,so what sight offers good hosting for pics these days? Need a place to store them.

it all figured out.Not progress on the Dart,but $$ in my Dart fund so.....if you have anything for an 833 conversion contact me!
IMG_3646_zps5c49d587.jpg.html

This is the 360 I sold. Greasy,but it turns freely by hand. Plugs are finger tight. I lubed each cylinder with a shot of diesel from a turkey bastr before long term storage. It works! Ever seen a stuck diesel? Not me...

Was a big job for me,loading this thing myself. The carport and the driveway are both sloped and it just wanted to run away downhill! Internally this thing is clean enough,I'd be tempted to just regasket/seal and run it.

-
Back