Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Joe the only way to learn to weld is to Just do it!You,ll get better the more you do it,just have to play with settings.Also clean metal is a must for good clean welds.Atleast you got it done and can move forward.:cheers:

About six weeks back I sent Modo Innovations some pedals. In the box they recieved every pedal that is used for A Bodies. I sent:

Manual 4 speed pedals
Automatic Pedal
Gas Pedal
DBW Hemi Pedal

I'm pleased to annouce with Shannon at Modo Innovations that the covers have been completed for our cars. They should be listed on his website very soon.

Here's the pictures of my pedals that are getting sent back to me.

MOPAR001.jpg

MOPAR002.jpg

I'm sure the Dark Series will follow as well.

Riddler
I like them pedals it really fits in with your car.

Joe the only way to learn to weld is to Just do it!You,ll get better the more you do it,just have to play with settings.Also clean metal is a must for good clean welds.Atleast you got it done and can move forward.:cheers:

Actually one of the best ways to learn how to weld is at your local vocational High School. They usually have night classes and they are usually pretty cheap.

Well it's been a while, for a few reasons. Saving money to buy parts, renovations on the house (new office) and an active 6 month old baby boy. :) I've recieved my 8073 Quicktime bellhousing a few weeks back.

IMG_0711.jpg

The bellhousing did not come with instructions, lucky for my I've located some info about replacing the cheap bolts from quicktime with Grade 8 bolts. I bolted on the bellhousing to the trans.
IMG_0824.jpg

As you can see only seven bolts are required as this one bolt near the starter opening doesn't line up.
IMG_0825.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures of the bolts. Silver are cheap grade 5 and the gold are grade 8.
IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Then since I had the Hurst Billet Pro shifter I bolted that as well.
IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Well hopefully next time I'll have the mock up 5.7 block and T56 in the car and working on getting the floor finished.

Riddler

The bellhousing did not come with instructions, lucky for my I've located some info about replacing the cheap bolts from quicktime with Grade 8 bolts. I bolted on the bellhousing to the trans.
Here's a couple of pictures of the bolts. Silver are cheap grade 5 and the gold are grade 8.

Riddler

The only concern about that would be that Grade 8 bolts just break when you exceed their limits... Where as the grade fives will stretch and bend more... Definitely something to consider...

So I had some time today and I really want to get the mock up hemi block and T56 into the car so I can finish the floor. Once the floor is done I can finish painting POR15 and then save to have the body work done.

Pictures were taken with iPhone instead of DSL.

Here's the block on the stand and engine picker getting ready to put into the car.
IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Here's the hemi block in the car with the mounts figured out. Small one on the passenger side, large on the driver's.
IMG_0871.jpg

Then I bolted on the block plate to the bellhousing. Not all bolts used for mockup.
IMG_0872.jpg

Last but not least I mated the Hemi block to the T56 trans. The trans slid on the dowels and the bolts fell into the holes. Was super easy.
IMG_0874.jpg

I was unable to get the block and trans into the car myself. I'll have to wait until I can get some help. Hopefully I'll have updates quicker soon...

Riddler

Thanks for the update. I really like what you are doing so far.

I found some more time today and decided to muscle the engine/trans into the car. I'm hoping with it in there I can finally finish the transmission crossmember, floor and some other minor welding. Here's a few pics of the trans where they floor should be.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

I'm thinking I might have a local fab shop make me a nice tunnel for over the transmission. I'll have to see what can be done without taking my car anywhere.

Here's the engine bay with the engine/trans in.

IMG_0891.jpg

Riddler

very nice....now how about a shot from the front?... looking thru the radiator hole.

what is the distance between the outer hub from the point the rim bolts on to the frame rail?

must not be cold up there?....it is here!!
Denny

I'll see what I can do Denny.

Question? I'm getting alot of folks on a local forum telling me I should move the engine/trans forward an inch or two. But from talking to Bill at RMS he says this is the optimal location. What are others doing?

Riddler

It is great to see a '76 being done. There were so FEW Dusters made in '76 it seems to be the forgotten year. I agree with the (statement about the) bumpers, lose them. There is a guy in Hysperia, CA who makes fiberglass bumpers, you can do custom bumpers even. I saw a 76 Duster with a real lean, mean and clean front bumper that was actually molded to the valance, he got the valance ends from a 73-74 (just the little metal ends screw into the valance and eliminate the horrible plastic bumper filler and "round out" the ends of the valance). He then did a 70-72 style rear bumper. The 76 was AWESOME with the custom bumpers and saved 200lbs (or about 85kg) of total vehicle weight! Keep posting, I hope to see your progress.

I'll see what I can do Denny.

Question? I'm getting alot of folks on a local forum telling me I should move the engine/trans forward an inch or two. But from talking to Bill at RMS he says this is the optimal location. What are others doing?

Riddler

The more you move it forward, the worse your handling will be. I put mine in where Bill set it up, with no issues in an early A

Unbelievable build that thing is going to be a beast. I've recently fallen in love with Dusters and hope it will be my next project. It won't be nearly as elaborate as this build but I still hope to have a pretty cool ride. Look forward to seeing more progress.

Unbelievable build that thing is going to be a beast. I've recently fallen in love with Dusters and hope it will be my next project. It won't be nearly as elaborate as this build but I still hope to have a pretty cool ride. Look forward to seeing more progress.

For sure it is a great build. No one has figured out he isn't building a car but a time machine.

Well I haven't had much time to work on the car with life happening. My welder (brother in law, officially now) went and got married and we had his reception, my wife broke her foot and it's healed and I'm currently getting over a nasty flu with my 9 month old son. So there have been better days....

I may not have been working on the car but I have had my fuel tank designed and is currently being built by Tincup and White Trash (members on www.forabodiesonly.org). Here's the design.

fueltank.jpg

The plan is to have the tank drop in through the trunk. The top will remain flat and the pump/fuel level sender will be hidden under a small acess panel. The lines will run out under the car and won't be inside the trunk.

Here's some pics that have been sent my way by the builder.

Fueltank1.jpg

Fueltank2.jpg

I've got some more surprised to let out of the bag soon.

Riddler

Awesome looking tank........:thumblef:

don't let the border guards see that thing (tank)......you could hide a couple of illegals in there!

-
Back