Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Thanks guys. I'm planning to wrap up this little project before the end of January. Ivd got some support bars to weld in also, which will get done after the inner fenders.

Riddler

Hey Riddler, Nice job on the gas pedal bracket. When I made mine, I put a big wedge shape to it in order to get the pedal in a comfortable position. Have you tried it up against the firewall yet?

I'll have it welded in shortly. I've got my seat brackets in, just have to run to the states tomorrow and get them. Once the seats are bolted in I'll weld the gas pedal in and make vroom sounds. ;)

I'd live to see a pic of your bracket....

Riddler

looking good, the engine bay should look really nice with those mods

I found some more time today as my wife took our son for dinner with friends. I started by burning in the plates for the chassis stiffening bars I made.

IMG_2144.jpg

I then went ahead and filled all the holes in the inner fender. I'm planning to make it nice and smooth. Fiberglass with assist in that.

IMG_2145.jpg

Afterwards I grinded down all the welds and made them look much better. It's ready for fiberglass and primer. The little bump is to help cover the top of the alterktion crossmember as I cut the panel too low. Now to match up the other side.

IMG_2147.jpg

Finally took some time to fit the bar and burn it in. I can see how these stiffen up the car.

IMG_2149.jpg

My plan is to seam seal this side and get it ready for POR15 or rocker guard. Haven't decided which one.

As soon as I find more time I'll get the driver's side done.

Riddler

won't your tire hit that tube when suspension is compressed?

won't your tire hit that tube when suspension is compressed?

Nope I don't have that much compression with the coilovers on the Alterktion. I'll put the wheel back on next time I'm out there and show you. I've got about 4-5" to the wheel. If I jump like the Duke boys maybe.

Riddler

Ok...mine sits a little higher and of course I have a taller tire....but at ride height, above the tire, I'm lucky if I have 3"....just about what my shocks compress.....

4" of travel......2.75 compression, 1.25 drop. the compression is where you want appx 2/3 of the travel...the drop appx 1/3. maybe for drag racing you would want more drop....but not for a street car

maybe the AlterK/shock supplier or you do it differently....but that is the correct ratio I got from Alden Shock (they told me on 4" of travel...1" of drop is good)

let me know if I'm wrong....I might need to make a phone call

Here's the pictures since I knew you'd be all over it. Remember this is the car lifted without weight.

As you can see there is about 5" of room from this angle.
IMG_2150.jpg

In this angle you can see why it's not much of a problem.
IMG_2151.jpg

I'd have to remove the entire coilover assembly and even still I think the lower control arm would hit the frame rail before the tire hits the bar.

Riddler

no sweat, not trying to be an armchair builder, just wanted to FYI you on what I and Ross have encountered.....I forgot that your wheel/tire combo sits out a little further, but I remember Ross moving his inner fenders up appx 2"...just for travel. and mine was borderline, I almost moved it up when I was mocking up.

I'm sure you already measured at ride height.

no sweat, not trying to be an armchair builder, just wanted to FYI you on what I and Ross have encountered.....I forgot that your wheel/tire combo sits out a little further, but I remember Ross moving his inner fenders up appx 2"...just for travel. and mine was borderline, I almost moved it up when I was mocking up.

I'm sure you already measured at ride height.

Ahh dammit, now you got me all worried. Guess it's time to drop the car to the ground again and see where it's at. I remember when I put the engine and trans in the front only went down about 1/2".

I also don't think I'm gonna be as low as Ross and you, the alterktion just isn't built for it unless I would of ordered a custom one. I'm sure it'll be lower than stock.

Well wish me luck.

Riddler

I'm sure you know...with the unique shock mount of the AlterK ( which I like the function of)....that bar isn't even needed, unless you feel you need to hold the fenders up since you modified the inners....but I can't see that

you don't need luck when you got your FABO brothers eyeballin ya'

I've seen quite a few videos of how well these inner fender braces increase the chassis stiffness. I've got the subframe connectors and front rad support bar. I chose not to do torque boxes so I wanted these to keep the front end more stable.

XV Motorsports has a video on there site which shows how these work.

I'm gonna look at it a little more and see if its gonna be an issue, but I don't think it's going to be.

Riddler

I've seen quite a few videos of how well these inner fender braces increase the chassis stiffness.

Amazing when all they hook to is the sheetmetal....are you keeping the factory inner firewall support braces?....I took mine off for a cleaner look, but am considering putting them on....after powder-coating, of course

You will be amazed at how much the car will drop with everything on it. During my build I was disappointed at the ride height, I even contacted Bill about shorter springs. But after it was all said and done, I had to raise the front about 3/4".

I guess I'm stuck on if I should add the other brace or cut this one out.

Just not sure what to do.

Riddler

Wait it out. The car will tell you what it needs. :D

hit the easy button.....

put a floor jack under the nose
remove the shocks
hang the fenders
drop to ride height
take off the fender

now whats it look like?

I build w/o shocks and place an adjustable strut in place to simulated
A) ride height
B) fully compressed
C) fully extended

Easiest way to check for clearance is at full compression with the shock removed do a full steering sweep on the bump stop. If you have clearance there then you should be fine at ride height.

Well I'm mostly done welding up the metal around the engine bay. Enough that I could remove the front and rear suspension parts and take them to my new sponsor JP Coatings (www.jpcoatings.com) in Monroe, MI. Jeff know's his coating and can even do ceramic. If you want the number to JP Coating it's on his site or PM me.

Now onto the pictures..

Here are some of the parts stripped down to bear metal.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Now onto the coated pictures. I did the RMS K frame and my custom T56 crossbrace in Chrome powdercoat.
IMG_2352.jpg

The rest of my parts were done in Tiger Anthracite. Beautiful color!
IMG_2358.jpg

These covers were from an 03 Hemi and were heavy pitted. Came out pretty good for not really doing anything other than blasting.
IMG_2359.jpg

Here are the 2 colours next to each other.

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

I can't wait to go back and have more done.

Riddler

-
Back