Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
don't worry...we are keeping an eye out for you.

BTW...your old A/C (morphed together with mine) helped keep me cool driving home from the the Nationals this last August.

I'm glad it went to good use....

I'm hoping to get it to the body shop this year.

Riddler

Sorry nothing lately. Winter kicked my butt this year. Wasn't ready for it and we got buried by snow.

I've got some brackets being cut at the laser cutter and I have done a few small things. I'll take some pics to show off.

Riddler

Here's the only things I've done in the last little while. I made up blueprints for these brackets and such. Took them to my laser cutter and have them cut.

1. Shifter/boot bracket. This gets welded to the floor and the crosses get drilled and tapped ready for a chrome Lokar boot ring I have.

2. Wiper motor bracket for a 2004 Neon motor.

3. E-Brake bracket for the Lokar Ebrake handle.

I'm hoping to get back to work more now that the weather is breaking.

Riddler

Those brackets look good, I look forward to follow your progress over the summer while I'm deployed.

Riddler, amen on the winter thing, My tank top propane heater was not making a trip to the garage inviting at all. Glad to see you are still into the build, it is a great inspiration.

Well I spent the better part of today outside in the garage. Since I haven't been out there in a few months I needed to clean up. That took a few hours.

I did get something's done on the car though.

I welded in the shifter surround and made it look more factory.
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/shiftsurround.jpg"][/URL]

I then mocked up the e-brake bracket and tack welded it in place. I have to get the seats in again to check and see if I like it there.
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/ebrake.jpg"][/URL]

Here's both together.
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/ebrake2.jpg"][/URL]

Finally I started getting the wiper mocked up inside the car. I'm using a 2002 Neon motor with a modified main wiper arm. I just need to finish the final weld of the bracket to the wall.

Here's a video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jVt3GyaP0"]76 Duster interior motor run test. - YouTube[/ame]

I'm planning to get back to work on this more regularly this summer.

Thanks,

Riddler

Joe, I used the same style of bracket inside the car with the standard MoPar wiper moter and I also got the AC unit in there with very little clearance issues. I will say the wiper motor and linkage is fairly noisy.
Andrew

I was worried about the condenser but I'm using an aftermarket one and it's smaller so it should fit.

Are you saying my wiper setup is noisy or yours? Mine seems fairly quiet. I don't have any sound deadner in yet either.

Riddler

Hey Riddler, had to join just to keep track of this.
I was wondering...since you're updating the car to make it more modern, what are your plans for the headlights? I was thinking using new Challenger light housings with a good HID kit might be a neat twist. I know the newer cars' headlights are computer controlled, so I'd probably go with an aftermarket kit (see: Theretrofitsource.com) -- Morimoto makes some nice ones, but run with the stock housings.

Great work! Too bad about the Neon.

Jay
(formerly 97acrcoupe)

You'll need more than that...I think the SRT Challenger comes with HID's factory. You'll need housings, ballasts, bulbs, etc. A good kit is about $300. A cheap kit is about $50-100. There's a reason they're cheaper.

Jay

You'll need more than that...I think the SRT Challenger comes with HID's factory. You'll need housings, ballasts, bulbs, etc. A good kit is about $300. A cheap kit is about $50-100. There's a reason they're cheaper.

Jay

Yeah I just don't want to install modern housings and change the look the of front of the vehicle. If I could find someone or a place that puts the HID system into a 7" round light I'd prolly use it.

I have glass housings now for the headlights that used H4 bulbs. I was going to just buy a cheap HID kit and install it.

Riddler

Well I've been strumming along quietly working on the car. I'm hoping to send it off for body work and paint soon.

I've finally finished the inside firewall and floor. I'll have a body man finish up the engine bay side of the firewall.

[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/IMG_4094.jpg"][/URL]
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/IMG_4093.jpg"][/URL]

I also finished giving the underside a good healthy coat of rubber undercoating.
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/IMG_4095.jpg"][/URL]
[URL="http://www.riddlerneon.com/gallery/albums/userpics/IMG_4096.jpg"][/URL]

I then started hanging the doors. The driver's door is on but I think I need to shim it out the top of it. I'm also in need of a handful of bolts for the passenger door. Like this:

I'll be finishing up some more and hopefully sending the car off to paint soon.

Riddler

if I remember...the hinges allow the correct movement for proper alignment...up/down , in/out, front /back. About the only place I have ever seen shims were on the lower fender
attaching point

nice to see it in the sunhine

if I remember...the hinges allow the correct movement for proper alignment...up/down , in/out, front /back. About the only place I have ever seen shims were on the lower fender
attaching point

nice to see it in the sunhine

Yeah I was just reading someone's post about setting the doors. I haven't put anything in the doors as I want to do power locks and power windows but can't really find decent kits. I'm sending an email to Nu Relics to see what they have to offer.

Now to get a few bolts so I can put the passenger door on.

Riddler

Did you check Electric Life for power windows? I bought a factory style scissor lift window kit for my White ACR, but it got stolen before I installed it. Ended up selling it to a customer at work, and it worked very well.

Most aftermarket door lock actuators I've had experience with aren't nearly as reliable as factory ones. Might consider ordering some from a later model GM truck or something. They are similar in style to most aftermarket ones (read: relatively easy to adapt), and last much longer. You could probably grab some linkage parts/pigtails at the junkyard and order new actuators. Just a thought.

I like the way you moved the parking brake to the center too!

Nice to see some progress made...can't wait for paint!

Did you cut the trans crossmember in the above pic, if so, is there a piece that will go back in place when the trans is bolted in? Just curious.

Jay

Did you check Electric Life for power windows? I bought a factory style scissor lift window kit for my White ACR, but it got stolen before I installed it. Ended up selling it to a customer at work, and it worked very well.

Most aftermarket door lock actuators I've had experience with aren't nearly as reliable as factory ones. Might consider ordering some from a later model GM truck or something. They are similar in style to most aftermarket ones (read: relatively easy to adapt), and last much longer. You could probably grab some linkage parts/pigtails at the junkyard and order new actuators. Just a thought.

I like the way you moved the parking brake to the center too!

Nice to see some progress made...can't wait for paint!

Did you cut the trans crossmember in the above pic, if so, is there a piece that will go back in place when the trans is bolted in? Just curious.

Jay

Yeah I did see that electric life does have a kit but some people have posted it doesn't work well. But Nu Reluc wants 25 people to commit to a power window kit in order for them to build it.

Yeah I have another crossmember that goes in to hold the trans. Also the one that was cut is also re-enforced both top and bottom. Hard to see but there 1/4 plate steel welded in.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the door locks. I'll have a look at the GM actuators and see if they'll work for me. Thanks for the tip...

Riddler

Well I got alot more done this weekend. I'm also finally up to date on the pictures. This is how the car is currently sitting...

Look ma, no glass...
DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

Pictures of the glass out of the car.
Front:
DSC_0361.jpg

Rear:
DSC_0362.jpg

So this was my goal this weekend, to get the glass out. After about an hour I had it all out. So I went for bonus removal on items.

Started with the dash now since I could get to those bolts.
DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

I figured the column would be very troublesome to get out. Nope the old owner had taken all the bolts, pins etc out and left them out. Just a quick pull and it came.
DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

Now this this was all removed, we went to remove the brake booster and resivoir.
DSC_0358.jpg

Not much left to remove. Engine and tranny will come out when I can get a hoist. The rear end can come out anytime now.
DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

While taking out the rear quarter glass I found something strange. The driver's side has an extra piece of metal. How odd!
DRIVER'S:
DSC_0364.jpg

PASSENGER'S:
DSC_0365.jpg

This had to be a factory error. The piece of metal was not cut out unless god himself removed it. No evidence of cutting or anything.

Finally I've been asked how I keep track of all the parts. Everything goes into bags and bins!
DSC_0357.jpg

Riddler

That is a Nice project build. Good Luck with it.

ALot of great progress Rid. I liked the video of the wiper motor too, mine works too.

-
Back