Project "Unicorn" 69 Dart

-

J-man

Reaction score
So the reason for the interesting title, I have been working at this shop for a little over a year now. when I was hired I mentioned that I have the car, well the manager keeps telling me to bring it in, so I did on his day off. all of the other co-workers got to see it and told him, but since he didn't see it he doesn't believe it's real! Sadly in the little over a year I have only brought in the car once, due to many setbacks and a few bad choices for a daily driver. All of that is straightened out now so I can finally start making forward progress on the dart.

Now a little bit of history on the car since I should have started making this thread a while back. Almost 2 years ago I just sold my '73 Plymouth satellite due to being too over my head for a project. So searching on craigslist I came across a listing for a 69 dart in Pullman, no pictures but seemed solid called the guy he seemed pretty cool so I asked for a few pics which I never got and set up a date to take a look at it, I'm on the other side of the state. So the big day comes my girlfriend at the time and myself got into the civic (first bad daily driver mistake) and drive there without ever seeing a picture. In Pullman driving down the street see the car under the carport and like WOAAHH that looks a lot better then I expected. The guy shows up and I'm already looking at the car, you can tell he is disappointed I'm only 21, probably wanted to sell it to someone older. Took it for a test drive to learn the beast and instant love. Drove it back gave him the cash he actually handed some back and said use it for gas to drive it home.

Driving the car home over snoqualmie pass it starts to snow. My gf calls and is all like were gonna die! I'm like no your fine in a FWD with brand new tiers. Turn the corner and complete white-out in the middle of march! I've driven snoqualmie a lot but that is new haven't seen that before so I tell her to shift to 3rd. Long and short make it home just fine.

Two weeks after I make it home I get a no spark in the car. Well it's pretty old and looks like someone hasn't put new parts into it for awhile so I pull the ignition control module box and take it to o'reillys and get a new one as well as new spark plugs. take it home pop it all in and VROOM fires right up. Drive it around for a couple of weeks no problems but I can stat to tell the radiator is on it's last legs.

So then I end up getting a new job at a quick lube in renton. work there for a bit and tell everyone about it and no one believes it's really mine so I drive it to work all is good, but on the way home it starts to misfire on I5 and my gas gauge doesn't work so I get gas pull into the station and clouds of smoke from under the hood. Damn radiator is dead and causing the misfire so I wait put some gas in the tank while I'm there. Get a lot of comments on it. turn the key and cranks a bunch battery starts to sound like it's going to die when it fires. Hook up with 518 to 509 make it almost home and it dies at a stop sign that I basically ran literally less then 300 ft from home uphill though.... Finally got it home and it sat for a bit because of my second bad daily driver. (04 Nissan sentra ser) <------ P.O.S. I would NEVER recommend one the Qr25 is garbage worth more in scrap.

In that time of sitting I learned a lot taking to some local mopar guys. So while sitting I ordered a new steel radiator (ended up getting an aluminum one for no extra charge!!!) , coil pack, deleted the cheesy tach, dropped the gas tank replaced the fuel sending unit and ground strap. Installed everything turn key no spark...

Hmmm have to dig deeper, ordered a laminated and colored wiring diagram off of ebay, to help track down the culprit, mopar guys suggested a new pick up for the distributor since the problem seemed to be intermittent. Popped that in also found out about mymopar.com and they have some useful diagrams for wiring, so 3 hours of tracing wires (they all looked black with all the dust and grime) and looking at 2 different schematics I finally figured it out. The idiot that swamped in the 360 and 727 was a lazy mother fer.

They wired the ignition up so I still don't know how the car ran and fried all my componets except the ballast resistor. Test for spark got spark tun key and nothing..... so I say F it went out bought a brand new spool of brown wire and ran a brand new wire form the box on the firewall to the box. Try it again VROOM instant success stated better then when I bought the car! So it's running let it warm up bleed the cooling system and check for leaks nothing looking good I'll take it into work tomorrow! Next day turn key fires right up key goes to run and it dies.... try again same thing and a third time call one of the mopar guys at oreilly's hes absolutely sure that its' the ignition key switch.

So that's where I'm at now I have a new ignition switch, battery tray and hold down, new door hinges and a msd 6A box waiting to go in, also ordered a custom dash from peak dashes it should be about 1/2 way from being done, still have to get gauges and prep my other dash that I got (current one is shot to heck). Sorry for such a long 1st post I should have done that a while back had the car for coming up on 2 years now. More pictures soon to follow as well as future plans for the car.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465-1_zps3bcb5b1e.jpg

Update for those who care! The manager of the lube shop I work at has left and took over a full service shop up in Kirkland, WA. It's called Kirkland Classic Cars Specialty is corvettes but all muscle cars are welcome. Right now they have two corvettes a 67 Continental and a 60's Camarro in the shop. I'm Manager in training at the quick lube in Renton which means a pay bump so time to get the Mopar in there and get the work done!

Before summer is done I pan on having all of the following done
-New painless wiring harness upgrade
-8 3/4 installed with 3.53 or 3.9's
-Performance power disk brakes (most likely willwood)
-5 Speeeeed!!!!
-and new wheels to set off the whole look
-Almost forgot the drive shaft loop

If anyone has any previous experience with any of the brands of 5 speed or disk brakes feel free to chime in with your own experiences/challenges of install.

Also received some goodies pics soon to follow

Thank you I finally will have the income to support my addiction :D

This is just stage 1 Final Goal 450 hp 360 off of 92 pump, 5 speed, modern sound system, modern buckets, 8 3/4 with 3.53 gears, looking to convert to rack and pinion, Unsure of suspension brand right now leaning toward hotchkis (the works upper a-arms and everything), all in house of Kolors True blue with matte black trunk stripe, matte black wheels, chrome bumpers and grill with black inserts and finally side pipes.

Thanks for the info Sleepyhead! Sadly, I already checked awhile back the bulk connector for the ignition is melted as well as the plastic piece that clips into the ignition cylinder... ran a new wire to the ignition box which helped but the new ignition cylinder notches are shorter then the stock ones..... thanks laysons..... so eff it new harness to eliminate any problems and hopefully the bulk connectors. For $500 worth it to have little to no wiring issues.

Donor Dash going out for powder coat!

IMAG0354_zpsc82d2040.jpg

IMAG0355_zps48002434.jpg

GOODIES!

Industry standard MSD

Peak Dash!!!
image-2_zps3ac244e7.jpeg

New Kenwood CD Player

IMAG0353_zps1a38105b.jpg

And 1 last thing the place I took it to called today pics of the new dash soon to follow what a fast turn around almost under 24 hours for full blast and powder coat!!

I got a Peak Dash too-great guy. I had some initial fitment issues, but it's all good now. That's a good looking Dart-keep up the thread updates...it'll give me something to read while I'm overseas for four years.

My brother is up in your neck of the woods-lives in Lake Stevens, works in Everett. I wish he'd go get to work on his '72 Scamp. Our Dad started to convert it to LB front discs from a '74 or '75, but never got to finish it. My brother has cut off the old exhaust...hung part of the new exhaust, but I think he runs out of motivation for it too quickly, and is self-proclaimed not a great mechanic. If you ask him the time, he'll design you a watch, but...well, you get the idea.

I got a Peak Dash too-great guy. I had some initial fitment issues, but it's all good now. That's a good looking Dart-keep up the thread updates...it'll give me something to read while I'm overseas for four years.

My brother is up in your neck of the woods-lives in Lake Stevens, works in Everett.

Yeah I know right where lake Stevens is Might see him around this summer, the plan is to drive the heck out of this car this summer so do all the work now and enjoy while I have it for use in the summer! What were the fitment issues you had?

Quick update, got the dash back very interesting day woke up at 7am on the road in a half hour and put down 200+ miles to Olympia and back and made it to work in time with just minutes to spare!

IMAG0364_zps6dcb34aa.jpg

IMAG0363_zps459c7540.jpg

And even better the painless kit came in today! Instal coming soon

IMAG0366_zps64866151.jpg

Welcome,J. Nice ride.

welcome and nice car .

Thank you guys! It is a work in progress the wiring is the main thing that is really effed up and the interior I'll post some pics of the engine bay.

So spring time I did some cleaning and ran across a 8 3/4 out of a c-body that I bought a couple years back put it on criags and less then a day later poof gone! And thanks to 2nd 67 Dart I now have a A-body 8 3/4 that will be rebuilt and installed.

I also gave the old girl a bath while I had her out, yes the previous owner spray pained the grill black and it's flaking terrably.... Not one of his best decisions along with wiring or oil filter placement. I literally can't get the filter out between the "custom" exhaust, torsion bars, and steering. So plan of attack is I'm going to have to unbolt the exhuast install a relocation kit reconnect the exhaust and no more problems! Dang it previous owner not thinking things though.... I'm sure there are others I just haven't found them yet.

PICTURES!!!

Up on ramps to change the oil and filter

Worst "custom" exhaust ever

Under the hood aka rats nest it's not glorious.....yet

And after fresh oil and a bath

Yeah I know right where lake Stevens is Might see him around this summer, the plan is to drive the heck out of this car this summer so do all the work now and enjoy while I have it for use in the summer! What were the fitment issues you had?

Oof-sorry about the late reply. When I bought my dash, it came in two pieces much like yours-the door cover for the glove box wasn't indexed correctly, so I contacted Mark and he sent me a new one and it was indexed better, but still isn't quite right...I think what I'm gonna do [eventually] is just delete the glove box altogether and just TIG the door to the rest of the dash and roll like that. It'll have to wait a few years though...can't bring my projects with me to my next duty assignment unless I want to pay out the wazoo to bring and store them.

I doubt my brother will be out much this summer...I wish he would, but he works massive amounts of OT and Boeing likes to crack the whip on their engineers apparently. So, whenever he does have time off, it's decompress/crash time. Don't think for a minute that I don't give him hell about it though!

That's an awful spot for your exhaust to come up under...grrr, how frustrating.

Otherwise-looks good man, keep plugging away and I'll keep watching :coffee2:

Jeff

After looking at your goals-450hp off a 360, I hope you've contacted Mike @ MRL...he can give you some ideas and point you in the right direction...or you could just buy an engine from him ;)

Oof-sorry about the late reply. When I bought my dash, it came in two pieces much like yours-the door cover for the glove box wasn't indexed correctly, so I contacted Mark and he sent me a new one and it was indexed better, but still isn't quite right...I think what I'm gonna do [eventually] is just delete the glove box altogether and just TIG the door to the rest of the dash and roll like that. It'll have to wait a few years though...can't bring my projects with me to my next duty assignment unless I want to pay out the wazoo to bring and store them.

I doubt my brother will be out much this summer...I wish he would, but he works massive amounts of OT and Boeing likes to crack the whip on their engineers apparently. So, whenever he does have time off, it's decompress/crash time. Don't think for a minute that I don't give him hell about it though!

That's an awful spot for your exhaust to come up under...grrr, how frustrating.

Otherwise-looks good man, keep plugging away and I'll keep watching :coffee2:

Jeff

Where are you deployed at? My brother was in the strikers and was deployed twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan, he never did say which one he liked more haha. I understand a little about your brother it's tough being a manager because there is so much expected of you and you are constantly having to reorganize priority as things change but still remembering to get everything done while only being able to get a little done at a time. Also a day off is never really a day off, haha there is always something.

After looking at your goals-450hp off a 360, I hope you've contacted Mike @ MRL...he can give you some ideas and point you in the right direction...or you could just buy an engine from him ;)

I haven't talked to him just yet, unfortunately the engine is taking a back seat to things that aren't in good working order like ignition switches, turn signals and dangerous front drum brakes. The 360 does just what I need her to do every time it's the wiring and other systems that need major help, but that might be a route I might eventually go once I'm ready for a new engine.

Speaking of major help it's like Christmas in here :D

8 3/4 Rear 2.67 open :\ but soon Moser rear axles Wilwood brakes and Detroit true track with 3.91 gearing

Got all my gauges in finally on back order for a while

No more oil filter problems once I get the engine block adapter... yeah thought it was part of the kit, and it isn't

And nice shiny new Cragars for the front rears coming soon

Also kind of a side question I had the dart in the air the other day and noticed a hole in the inside fender and it looks to have a brace that is welded around the hole anyone have an idea what this is or does?

[ame="http://s286.photobucket.com/user/carfreek92/media/Project%20Unicorn/IMAG0412_zpsecd08114.png.html"]IMAG0412_zpsecd08114.png Photo by carfreek92 | Photobucket[/ame]

that's where the clutch linkage cross shaft is attached to the body with a ball stud. The bracket welded on the body is to reinforce the panel. This would be present on a vehicle that has a standard transmission at some point. Ben.

Attachments

• 10-15-12 003.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 538
that's where the clutch linkage cross shaft is attached to the body with a ball stud. The bracket welded on the body is to reinforce the panel. This would be present on a vehicle that has a standard transmission at some point. Ben.

Thank you Ben! That makes since it was originally a 3 speed and a /6 from the factory or for so I was told by the previous owner, Thankfully they left the clutch pedal attached so that will be 1 less part I will have to buy when I reconvert to 5 speed. :D

Nice Cragars!

Thank you I'm excited to get them on some fresh tires as soon as I get the Wilwood brake kit installed (coming soon) 15x7 upfront and 15x8 out back the old Centerline wheels that are small bolt will be up for sale here in a month or so.

...and after all of that it's just gonna have one horn? (project "Unicorn")

Looks like an excellent project. :thumbup:

Thank you everybody! So update it has been a little slow my last 2 checks went to my street bike that blew up awhile back but it's good and running now! I'll post some pictures of that project later.

Anyhow I just figured out that the owner of the shop sponsors a car show in renton every year called Return to Renton. My car was entered so now it's crunch time to get some good brakes on there the 8 3/4 rear in and get the ignition sorted out. Has anyone installed a painless kit before if so how long did it take? And if anybody lives in the area feel free to drop by and say hi the show is July 7th.

...and after all of that it's just gonna have one horn? (project "Unicorn")

Looks like an excellent project. :thumbup:

of course one giant and super loud horn I'm thinking train hahahah

So Christmas came early yesterday, what you see here is a Wilwood full disc brake kit drilled and slotted rotors black calipers, chrome dual diaphragm booster, new wilwood master cylinder, bracket, proportioning valve, locktight for the wilwood kit, new lug nut kit with 4 locking lugs, and a front plate that will do the car justice. I spend part of the day at my old managers shop getting the tires mounted on the wheels and balanced. Just waiting on the moser rear axles to show up. Major surgery happening on the 30th of June. Pics to come here is what I have now.

also Pictures of my street bike I got back too bad it has been mostly raining

Looks like your parts are in and now it's time to get them installed. Get er done.

Looks like your parts are in and now it's time to get them installed. Get er done.

I'm so stoked all the parts I have wanted for years and now I have the $ to get them and the time/lift availability to do it, and another raise in the future :D:D

EDIT: I figured out the weird ignition wiring situation, the previous owner wired the voltage regulator to the coil and the ignition to run position. I went in and bypassed the voltage regulator since he changed wire color to red and I had no idea what it was to and ran the brown wire from the ignition "start" position to the blast and ignition control module box.

Went back traced everything wired in regulator as it should be and everything as it should be in the ignition and turn key every time this is going to be one fun summer the hardest decision is going to be hhhmmm bike or dart....

So it made it to the shop but barely, it dies under load. The owner (old manager) said that it seems like the accelerator pump in the carb, because it starts up fine but rev it up and when it comes back down it'll die and almost every-time under load and even sometimes without. Anybody have suggestions as well or a test I could run to confirm this?

I got it in the air and started the teardown progress was slow because of the grease seal on the new wilwood kit, what a PITA and the hardline is fused with the soft line so I called wilwood and time to run new larger hardlines anyway, but got the wheel on and some pics

-
Back