promaxx small block heads.

-
Good Pick Up...... Up until now I had only seen the Big Block Chrysler Promaxx Heads.....

Price seems reasonable...... Quality???????

Anybody got any flow numbers......

Thats what i seen in jegs. Look comparable to the Edelbrocks. Also seen the victor jrs. From hughes but looks like a copy of the w5s. So they probably wont sell very much.

Thats what i seen in jegs. Look comparable to the Edelbrocks. Also seen the victor jrs. From hughes but looks like a copy of the w5s. So they probably wont sell very much.

I would hope, that the Edelbrock team did some homework. Reviewed history, made corrections/upgrades over the W5 head. There RPM castings appear to be very good. I have not heard of any reports of poor castings.

This in itself I think will allow the head to sell. Cost is the kicker. I'm not complaining though. Just saying I dont have that kind of scratch.

It is a royal shame the W5 heads have a bad rap due to poor castings. The head, if it is a good head, could be very well ported out for some pretty good numbers and a decent flow curve. My first set didn't do so well, though they did port out well, just not as far as I hoped.

I remember a certain Duster on Pinks all out running 9's with W5's, a manual trans & a tunnel ram.

Another Edelbrock knockoff...

That is what I was thinking but IIRC, those that have ported the heads found a better set of ports to grind on for better, higher flowing ports. *I think* MRL has worked on said heads. Perhaps OU812?

That is what I was thinking but IIRC, those that have ported the heads found a better set of ports to grind on for better, higher flowing ports. *I think* MRL has worked on said heads. Perhaps OU812?

He had some procomp heads there when I was dropping my engine off in 2013. Said they looked better than the edelbrocks. Now, none of us know if they used really high quality aluminum or not

My edelbrocks were made in 1997 and even the casting and machining quality on those wasn't exactly fabulous. IIRC one of the exhaust bolt holes was drilled straight into the port on the end exhaust port.

Also even my used heads had some "too tight" valve guides. Of course since I got them used I had a valve job done and had everything corrected. So, if you had the heads either looked at or bought them bare, then I think you can do well. I'd probably be more worried about the machining quality on the heads than anything.

I mearly state that the ports have been said to port out better than the Edelbrocks.
I mearly said that the aluminum Edelbrock use's hasn't been reported as **** aluminum.
It is known that the W5 head can have poor aluminum and to be cast poorly.

Why you would post what you did is beyond me as if I had said or suggested, both of which I have not in any way shape or form.
I also see it in a way that you expect a finished done perfect head that is massed produced. This has never been the case. Why would you bringit up? A known issue for decades.

I'm not getting your post. Where did I go wrong?

What?

I only replied saying that MRLPerformance had some of the heads when I was there. The rest wasn't aimed at you at all. I'm sorry it didn't sound that way to you.

I meant that the knockoff heads might be made out of a cheaper casting aluminum, kind of like the chinese made wheels you see all the time that easily corrode. I agree this hasn't been the case with the edelbrocks.

I would like to see heads that are ready out of the box, since you asked. The machining technology has only improved over the years. It can be done, and even if it added $200 to a set of heads, everyone would come out ahead, to not have to visit a machinist with brand new poarts

'These as cast heads utilize ultra-smooth new runner and chamber designs that produce "CNC'd type" flow numbers. '

CNC'd type numbers from what head, the OOTB EQ is 172cc and they claim 171cc. Maybe CNC'd 318 2 barrel heads....also of note, "assembled in america" . If they dont say where they are cast then its pretty much got to be China.

Price is pretty close to Edelbrocks which are cast in USA

My guess is people will buy them just because they are a $100 cheaper.

Yes Jegs buys BB/SB heads from China, I am on the site that they probably buy from as they say "as sold in the USA by Jegs"........

Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum A356.2 T6
Combustion Chamber Volume (cc): 65
Intake Runner Volume (cc): 171cc
Exhaust Runner Volume (cc): 77cc
Intake Valve Diameter (in): 2.020 in.
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.600 in.
Intake Valve Angle: 18
Valve Guide Material: Manganese bronze

they are anywhere from $170>300 p/pc depending on how many you buy, thats with guides installed, no valves....same for the BB heads.

I'm also looking at cranks/rods/roller rockers/pistons/dampers, they do the lot............I just wonder how good the heads are without going over them as Jegs do.

I buy from China all the time for another car related business I run, thought I might have a stab at buying some heads but I'm not set up for the quality control part of it all.

if that is Promax as in that crook Ben Gorman of Indianapolis, He sold me a set of magnum heads that were supposedly EQ's come to find out they are Chinese knockoffs & I have the pics and paperwork to prove it. Do not deal with that a$$wipe. Robert Crispell

if that is Promax as in that crook Ben Gorman of Indianapolis, He sold me a set of magnum heads that were supposedly EQ's come to find out they are Chinese knockoffs & I have the pics and paperwork to prove it. Do not deal with that a$$wipe. Robert Crispell

Assembled Edelbrock heads are cheaper then the assembled Promaxx heads are again. AutoZone has their 20% off deal going again until Feb 6th.

that's what I originally thought. is this the same guy as the promax carbs? if it is then **** that. edelbrocks are proven. has anybody seen any victor jrs yet?

anybody using these, or bought a set? seen them in jegs 1500.00 a pair.

that's what I originally thought. is this the same guy as the promax carbs? if it is then **** that. edelbrocks are proven. has anybody seen any victor jrs yet?

It was just over $1400.00 for eddy heads shipped to my door.

For $350.00 Hughes will plug the intake pushrod holes and relocate them so they can be ported to bigmouth size. Since I'm buying new roller rockers I might as well get offset ones to match. I can always have them ported later if the budget doesn't permit it or just open up the pushrod pinch restriction myself.

-
Back