Propane tank guage

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Got an exhange tank for the bbq and it didnt have a fill guage on it. I quickly took a look at the one i turned in and grabbed the one off that. To my suprise, its just a plastic 'fob' that is clipped to the OPD valve, nothing connects it? WTH, does this register the temp of the OPD valve and determine what the level is off that or something? Strange little device....attached it and it sees full tank.
20200517_134811.jpg
20200517_134613.jpg
20200517_134608.jpg

They have see through fiberglass tanks now that show the actual fuel level. Thats nice.

I would think it's a receiver for a pressure transducer in the tank, but I don't know. I'm not so sure about a pressure transducer with a stack of lithium watch batteries inside of a propane tank. If it had a surplus of moisture in the tank and something made the batteries leak, things could go very poorly...

I would think it's a receiver for a pressure transducer in the tank, but I don't know. I'm not so sure about a pressure transducer with a stack of lithium watch batteries inside of a propane tank. If it had a surplus of moisture in the tank and something made the batteries leak, things could go very poorly...

Like a TPMS set up ?

Just weigh it. The tare weight is usually stamped "TW" on the top ring. Guess it didn't have the matching float mechanism like the pic below?

PCH_2016-02-11_14-05_2207.jpg

I will weight in.... the gauge has a small magnet, brass fitting not magnetic, float mechanism metal. Pretty much the same idea use on the large LP tank gauges....

I have only seen the magnetic strips that go on the side of the tank. Changes color with temp, they are fairly accurate.

Just weigh it. The tare weight is usually stamped "TW" on the top ring. Guess it didn't have the matching float mechanism like the pic below?

View attachment 1715530167
thats what my new tank looks like but it didnt have the clip on guage so I reused the old one, had to cut the ring to fit onto the "37" part. IIRC pour hot water on the tank will show where level is too. Jsut weird that it didnt connect to anything. I guess the magnet makes sense.

I've used the magnetic strips also when I had my travel trailer. I had 4 tanks & I would swap them back & forth as needed. The strip gauges were pretty accurate & that was 12-15 years ago.

-
Back