Proper tuff wheel adapter gap?

-

ricomondo

Reaction score
Had my steering column down to replace all the inside switches etc.
bolted the column back in position and the tuff wheel adapter can keeps wanting to suck in almost metal to metal at the top (12 o’clock) and a larger gap at 6. The groove on the column shaft is lined up with the master spline on the adapter can as well.
What is proper gap between the adapter can and the column?
Thinking maybe I can place something flat in the groove at the top perhaps to get that bottom to suck in properly?

F00265AE-F038-4C69-8D04-4EB6657214D5.jpeg

B62E1822-9CFD-454A-A941-A78B8ECE26E5.jpeg

E9BF5BC4-AA9C-4F8B-9BC6-61C493B05C68.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s odd….should be the same gap all the way around…is that a factory original adapter?

Aftermarket? I returned two of the re-pop ones due to being crooked.
476649-7c1534f572eeca7ee5688e7fe9093300.jpg

@CFD244 - So you're saying I should disconnect the box from the shaft to reattach the crush can?
Nope, I did mine on the bench. While it was in the vise, the shaft wasn't centered in the tube so it made my gap look like yours. Once the shaft was centered and supported at the box end, all was well.

If you undid the 3 bolts where it goes thru the firewall, try loosening them, - and shifting the column . Leave them loose till everything aligns .
just spit balling here !

If you undid the 3 bolts where it goes thru the firewall, try loosening them, - and shifting the column . Leave them loose till everything aligns .
just spit balling here !

@inertia - Now that you mention that, all three of those bolts are still out - lying on the bench. I only had the column supported by the underside.
Tmrw I'll thread them in a bit and and see if that perhaps helps out keeping the column shaft straight?

Last edited:
Ok everyone I got it!!

BUT, not for lack of my laziness. I took the advice here and made sure the column was COMPLETELY bolted up, not just under the dash but at the firewall as well. I only had the column loose in the firewall with the bolts just threaded in a couple of turns. Upon bolting it up the proper way, the can installed like butter. Guess the "geometry" has to be just right.

Thanks again to everyone that took time to respond greatly appreciated!

I had an original that was bent. It was quite obvious because you could see the runout when you spun it.

-
Back