Proper way to adjust rockers

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
What is the proper way to adjust rockers in an adjustable setup? My book doesnt show it and the videos on you tube are hyd cams?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but this may be what your looking for....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prj0GUZ7nes"]COMP Cams® Quick Tech: How To Set Valve Lash - YouTube[/ame].

I'll go back a watch to see if I would have anything to add....

Well as usual, no Mopar specific vid, but the principal is the same. I use the chart posted below also........

This the long way, but it works good.

Attachments

• DSC02756.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 193
Doesn't the cam provider give the lash and you use a shim to set them cold then reset hot?

thanks Rick thats the one i seen awhile ago but couldnt find it today. After setting the lash at .014 per my cam card Im able to still spin the pushrods in the closed position is that normal?

thanks Rick thats the one i seen awhile ago but couldnt find it today. After setting the lash at .014 per my cam card Im able to still spin the pushrods in the closed position is that normal?

Yes, that's the clearance allowing that.

Is this the initial setting for startup or just a maintenance adjustment? Just curious if you are setting hot or cold and if your cam card has h & c specs.

Got my specs from chrysler manual and set intake at .028 and exhaust at .032 and followed the dc chart

Im going by the cam specs on the card which is .014 thou... I was more intrested in the process of doing to be sure i was doing it right.

Gotcha. I know there making more and more cams these days with tight lash settings, but that .014 just caught my eye as pretty snug on a cold engine. I need to get more modern in my thinking....lol.

Good Luck, I just realized this is gonna be your tunnel ram engine....very cool :thumbrig:.

I just do the opposite valve.....rotate the engine by hand and when I see an intake open, I'll do that cylinder's exhaust valve, then hit it with a yellow crayon. May not be the fastest method, but I think it's fool-proof!

EOIC

Turn engine until the EXHAUST valve starts to OPEN, set that intake

Turn engine until the INTAKE opens and nearly CLOSES, and adjust that exhaust

This works on anything from a 1 cylinder B&S to a P&W radial

I like ,what he is doing. What cam,Scamp? Tight lash solid,tells me nasty.

Really i was questioning my own work! Ive seen the videos and read some. But having never done this before i wasnt sure what was right. After setting last i noticed I could spin the pushrods that were of the cam center and move them up and down. The whole process was new to me so I needed to make sure I was doing it right I went around several time making sure things were where they needed to be. Im confident I did it right.

Attachments

• cam card.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 142
That is a nice grind. Fed a brand "c" 396, on 112l/c .Torque ,up the wazoo.Oval ports,good v/j. That cam ,will hammer.

X2 what 67 dart 273 said. You can't use the 8 position method on cams with a lot of overlap.

X2 what 67 dart 273 said. You can't use the 8 position method on cams with a lot of overlap.

Been using it on larger cams then the one is shown for a good 25 yrs...

I believe you can not use the 4 position that is shown in the mopar bible with larger cams..

hughes has this one on their website..

[ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/ValveAdjust.pdf[/ame]

EOIC

Been doing the same way for 40 years now. This is the way I was taught.

EOIC

x2 best for me,quicker too...

Tony,any experience,with Voodoo solids?.

No..never have run a Lunati cam...crane..mp..engle...hughes...howards..

as they say...more then one way to skin a cat...whatever makes you happy..

-
Back