Proportioning valve

-

BlackBrick

The Cult Mechanicus
Reaction score
So gathering my parts for the disc brake swap on my 72 Dart and I have a question about the prop valve. I grabbed one with the knuckles, calipers, etc, that is setup for power brakes. I am not going to power brakes but I am swapping the master to a manual disc master cylinder.

All the online articles that I have seen state to get an adjustable prop valve.

I have done the disc swap on a Duster and we used the prop valve from the donor car and it worked just fine.

So need some opinions here. Adjustable or donor Prop valve?

Well, i vote for the stock, factory brake proportioning valve.
Works fine from the donor cars.
You stated that you already used one, so continue using one again.

That F4 Phantom picture stopped me right in my tracks, brings back a lot of memories. I loved those things! Lots of Phantom stories.

Now back to the thread, I agree. I prefer the stock one. That is what I used on mine when I converted it in 2004. It has only gone about 2k miles, but it works great.

When I do my swap I'll be using a factory P. valve. Adjustable can be handy too, especially if you're racing it.

When everything is a correct grouping the correct valve is fine.
When mixing late model V8 front discs with a smaller bore master cylinder and/or smaller rear brakes, cylinders and larger bore master cylinders, the adjustable valve would be best.

A factory proportioning valve is perfect when paired with the same combination of front brakes, rear brakes, and weight distribution it was used with. If you're using the exact same front and rear brakes as the donor car, and the donor car was an A-body, it's fine. The things that really need an adjustable valve are something that's significantly different from a factory combination - B body 11.75" rotors on an A-body, or swapping in an aluminum 4-banger and trying to give an A-body 50-50 weight distribution.

Awesome guys, thanks. Everything is coming off the same car, so i should be in good shape. Now to just pick up the odds and ends that I need and my next weekend is complete......kind of, still got to get those back springs replaced or re-arched.

-
Back