proportioning valve

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
I am changing to manual brakes. Is there a proportioning valve I can use to not change the lines out? I order new stainless ones already:protest:

I - don't - understand - your - question. More details necessary.

well i heard your need a proportioning valve if you run Manuel brakes with drums in back and disk up front :/ my cars a 73 and it had power brakes. so not sure on what I need to finish swap

You need to determine what it is that you have now. Post a photo, follow the tubes down from the master, and look for some sort of brass block. There may be ONE device, and it should have a wire connection coming off --the brake system warning lamp. You MAY or may NOT have a second device. Here's an old thread with some info:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=134889

On this car, an aftermarket valve has been added. The original brass device in this case IS NOT a prop. valve. It is simply a combination distribution block and warning switch.

The way the warning switches work, is that there's a piston in there which is normally centered, holding the switch OFF. If either the front or rear system starts showing much more pressure than the other end, the piston "shuttles" to one end of the device, turning on the switch and the lamp.

I have a 74 and that is what mine looks like as well. I would think it will work as long as you install a dual reservoir MC. I have been considering going to manual as well.

so the link i added is what i need?

NO. The device posted by unknownsnake is not a proportioning valve. It's simply the brake warning switch and a junction/ distribution block But if your disk/ drum combo has the proper proportioning with power brakes, it should stay the same with manual brakes. However, you may end up with more pedal pressure than you bargained for. You may need to go to a smaller master bore size to keep from having extremely high pedal pressure.

................I didn't need to change mine when i went from power to manual............i did put on a manual master that the car called for.........kim.......74 duster with factory discs

................I didn't need to change mine when i went from power to manual............i did put on a manual master that the car called for.........kim.......74 duster with factory discs

There's your answer.

Whats the difference in them?I have one off an s10 and I was gonna bend the lines myself and use it. Seems a similar weight vehicle with front disc and drum in back should work. Am I overlooking something.I figured as long as you used a manual disc m/c youd be good.

-
Back