pros and cons of a clutchflite

-

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
I was just wondering why more people don't use a clutchflite with the advancements in materials and everything. I also think you really wouldn't have to worry about a converter being the right stall. Please give feedback

I think you answered your own question "advancements in materials and everything"

Converter technology, along with just about everything else has improved.

In my opinion, a Clutchflite was never going to live very long IE on the street, because of the finger drive for the pump. This simply cannot be a good design for long wear and trouble--free operation.

Maybe an improved pump drive.

The clutchflite was made obsolete by looser torque converters and lenco's. Unless your building a period correct exhibition drag car there are way better choices in transmissions, like you said "advancements in materials and everything". Too violent for the street, not consistent/reliable enough for the dragstrip.

The Clutchflite was a stepping stone for good converter technology. It wasn't popular for long. tmm

Just joined here. Was going through the threads, bringing back memories. I was going to post a thread asking if anyone had ever had a torque flite, but found this thread. When I was in HS, a gal in my previous year drafting class looked me up in the Auto mech class to see if she could borrow me to fix the exhaust on her car in the school parking lot. Instructor (this was a Vo-Tech part of the high school) gave the ok, so I grabbed some tools and went. Got to the car, a '70/71 swinger I believe. I was surprised that it had a 383 in it. I crawled under loosened the clamps slid it back together and tightened.
I crawled out and had her start it up. To my surprise......she pushed in the clutch! Bbbbbuuut it was an auto! WTF! Then it dawned on me and I remembered from the Direct Connection "Bible" the complete set of racing manuals in one book($15 at the stealership) this was a Clutch flite! I asked her about it and she said that she didn't know much about it (it was actually her brother's car) just that when starting and stopping....you pushed in the clutch just like a manual. She even let me drive it back to the Shop on her way out! That was so cool.....hey I was only 17 and was just getting into full tilt Mopar Motörheadness. ............too bad she was Hot, but she was a senior AND engaged;( oh well
MikeH

-
Back