Pros/Cons of Hughes 3000 Stall Converter

-
Reaction score
Ok, so I need a new converter, one to get the car on the track and last a year at least (hopefully more since the car isn't all that fast), but I need a looser converter than what I have now.

I was looking at the Hughes 3000 stall and was wondering what experiences, good or bad, people have had with them.

Car is a 73 Duster, 340 stock inches, 650 Speed Demon, Edelbrock LD340 intake, MPP .484" Hydraulic cam, headers, X Heads, 727, 3.91 gears in the back with 28 inch tall tires. The car also has a fiberglass hood, soon to have glass fenders, and not much of an interior to give an idea of total weight since I haven't weighed the car yet. Would this be a good choice, or would I be best getting something else? I'm trying to keep the price reasonable, so any ideas would be good.

Edit: One other converter I am looking at is a Turbo Action S800 that is rated at 3500 RPM stall

Give this guy a call..Lenny at ultimate converter,he's probably the best builder out there i'm running one of his converters in my duster and its everything he said it would be...www.ultimateconverter.com

How much does the "ultimate converter" cost? I'm not really interested in calling anyone about anything, I personally hate having to call a business for anything.

How about pros and cons of the HUGHES converter or Turbo Action converter I asked about?

Ive ran a hughes,b&m,tci and they all underperformed from what they were advertised and the tci out right failed so I now have a local shop build my convertors and the results are great.With off the shelf convertors Its really a crap shoot and depends alot on your power output and drivetrain specs and thats why its best to have a custom one built.There are are some reasonable ones out there,the shop I use builds them for $150-250 depending on application and they perform great up to 450 h.p.,above that they have a billet for $550.Im not saying that convertor wont work or trying to be a know it all lol,Im just stating my personal experiences in hopes it might help you out which I think was what 340 was alluding to.

boss hog has strong inexpensive converters. now running a 3800 to 4200 in that green car as a daily driver but my be a little to much for sum people. my 360 just roast both the tires off the line.do not go below 3000 i tried a 2500 from the local shop and was just a waste of money. boss hog prices are half what the others cost.

I have the 3000 Hughes one, and behind my weak 318 it only stalled at about 2200-2500 RPM, but it had no torque. I've got it behind the 413 in there now. We'll see.

-
Back