Pros & Cons of vacuum vs. mechanical secondaries?

-
Morons have the most fun. I wouldn’t have any fun at all if I only did things normal people do….
Well......I wasn't necessarily calling YOU one, I was speaking more in general terms. lol

Hey RRR, I just noticed your avatar, a Cootie bug. I have two boxes of those creatures!!
Really? We had them growing up. I loved the Cootie game.

If it's a properly matched combination, there are ZERO cons to a mechanical secondary. Ok, well perhaps just one. Decreased fuel mileage in comparison.

Ahem...
That's due to how heavy your right foot is.

And responding to post 9;
At $5.50+/gallon, 10mpg is the same as 8mpg or 12mpg when I have a tendency to look for stopsigns and slow down way back on yellow lights to romp on it when it turns green.

I have a tendency to look for stopsigns and slow down way back on yellow lights to romp on it when it turns green.
I have a tendency to time my cruising to arrive at the light at the front of the pack; then when it turns green, be in second gear, crank her to the left and drift around the turn at or near full lock, with the engine screaming. Go ahead, try that with a 750VS carb.

OP

the con with a DP carb is that once you have one, you have all those years of catching up to do, when you didn't know what you were missing. So for the first lil while, you are gonna make a lotta mistakes, which hopefully won't break your car.
But IMO, the best results will be had with a hi-compression engine. Response can be instantaneous.
It's like this;
yur driving along, the first day with yur new 750DP, and yur thinking of squeezing over into the next lane, but you remember how that went the last time you tried with the AVS, (or whatever other lame-O VS type carb you mightahad), so yur not sure if you should try it. Oh heck you say, and down goes the hammer. About 400 milliseconds later you are up on the boulevard facing backwards, and wondering WTH just happened here?
Trust me; Trust me; Trust me;
it really does happen about that fast.
You will need a whole new city suspension tune, beginning with fixing your traction issues.
Ohchit, I forgot to add;
not sure if this happens with slantys, or Smoggerteens ......... lol
The thing I like about the DP carb is that with it, I have a smooth linear power delivery which is absolutely essential for doing stoopid stuff, at less than WOT, and not getting crossed up or spun-out. When the front steering is maxed out, I can still steer with the back-end. Whether or not it goes where I want it to, is sometimes a lil iffy; but so far so good.
So then;
IMO,
for a streeter;
VS carbs are for point and shoot type cars, hiway cars, senior's cars, and cruiser cars.
For those who like to slam their cars around.... like me, we should have a DP carb.....
Exceptions are if you lack one or more of;
restraint, judgement, wisdom, forethought, experience, or spare body-parts; or, if you just can't get the hang of, not setting the timing of the secondary tip-in, too darn early, or, you just drive stoopidly, lol . The fact is this; some guys just can't; clutch, shift, steer, adjust the gas pedal, watch traffic, and hang the heck on, all at the same time.
Both carbs work the same to at least the top of the transfer slots. Both carbs work about the same at WOT.
It's all that fuzzy area in between where they may not, or do not, work the same.

BTW
if your car is futzy on choke; I can almost guarantee you it is because of one of the following;
1) the carb may be lean, or the wet fuel level in the bowl is too low,
2) the carb may be lean, has faulty circuits, or the gas is just stale.
3) the carb may be lean, or your choke is set up wrong,
4) the carb may be lean, or conditions are right for icing, and you didn't know that..
5) the carb may be lean, or the ignition timing is late, or the Vcan is not engaged
6) you didn't wait the minimum 3 minutes, which is supposed to be long enough to disengage the automatic choke.
7) your rings or valves are too tight, or the engine suffers for lack of cylinder pressure
8) did I mention your carb migt be lean?

To prove my point,
my 750DP has no choke at all. .
The heads are alloys which take extra time to warm up.
The intake is an AIRGAP which has no provision for carb heat.
The air filter is on top of the hood without a heated air intake.
The primary throttles have been drilled each with a 7/64 hole.
The cranking cylinder pressure runs over 177psi, and
This used to be my DD from May Long-weekend to September-Long , but occasionally into early October.
No choke, and
No stinking three minutes idling in Park, either.
I back out of my carport, exit my small corner lot, drive about a mile to the hiway, and it's wake-up time in the village that is disappearing in my rear-view . My neighbors all say they can hear my dual 3" cannons for from 3 to 5 minutes, after I hit the last turn, but they love it.
Choke? who needs a choke......
My sweetheart is sizzling all night waiting to hear me approaching.
She is Hot before I even insert the key.
She is already running when she hears the keys jingling.
She is on fire before Second Gear. Screaming in anticipation of Third.
Ok no, leave my wife out of it...... She's not like that anymore.........
I give the car two miles at 60, or until she speeds up by 4/5mph at the same throttle-opening; whichever comes first.
But the wait is just because I'm a nice guy, not because she needs it, she has a DP carb.

-
Back