PS question

-

DOMINANTmopar

Reaction score
Hi all. Yesterday morning I noticed that my PS pump was empty so I filled it up and went on my way. When I drove the car home from work at the end of the day I kept hearing that PS sound like I had no fluid again. I pulled over and opened up the PS pump and it was full and as a matter of fact it was overflowing. Wtf? I drove the car home and let it sit for a day. When I checked the PS pump again it was empty.
I don't see any holes anywhere but I am wondering if a bad high pressure line would cause this issue. No fluid getting to the steering box making the no fluid type noise and when the car is running for a while the fluid was getting pushed from the box to the pump causing an overflow scenario. What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

At empty, you filled the reservoir, you only created foam in the fluid. The foam causes the overflow. Fill it, steer it from stop to stop, turn it off and allow the foam to clear, repeat.
Of course you do have a leak somewhere. A hole in the high pressure hose is easy to spot spraying. A slow leak at the pump seal behind the pulley shows evidence on the backside of the pulley, belts, K-member, etc.. Leaking seals at the steering gears shaft seals are a little harder to diagnose without going under the car to look.

GeaR box is dry. There was fluid on the high pressure line but no evidence of a hole. Would it spray out if the car is at idle? Would I need to be rocking the steering back and forth to see a leak on that side? Thanks bud.

You cannot see or hear the gear box is dry inside. Whinny noise comes from the pump ( lack of fluid/aerated fluid ). The low pressure return hoses most often leak very slowly at the clamp connections.
High pressure hoses can separate like a tire so fluid loss appears as hose swelling and dampness. If it gets a pin hole in it, it will pee fluid.

Thanks fish. I will take a look at it tonight and do as u suggest on filling the pump. And check everything over again.

When you do get the leak fixed the best way to bleed all the air out is when you park it for the night, turn the wheel as far to the left as possible and hold it there while you shut the engine off. You want it tight against the stop. In the morning the air will be gone.

The most common leak in my experience is the large O-ring that seals the pump body to the reservoir, at least in TRW and Federal pumps. I don't know about the long Saginaw pumps.

I replaced the return line and inspected the high pressure line. All air appears to be removed. Everything was fine today until I did some runs up to 6k rpms. It then came out the top of the pump. I think my reservoir seal is dry rotted and shot. Do auto stores carry a replacement?

Something aint right. It shouldn't push fluid out for any reason except overfill or foaming.
If the seal around the reservoir was bad it would leak when standing like overnight.

Keep in mind that the hi pressure side hose can collapse internally and cause this.
Foaming, whining, the whole deal.
The hi side hose is made of multiple layers and the inner liner folds over and cuts off the flow.
Seen it before.

Not saying that is for sure what it is, just keep it in mind.

No I think it is just the seal under the cap. I am assuming at higher rpms the fluid is getting churned more vigorously. If I just drive around town mellow I am not seeing a leak.

Thanks guys for the replies. I will be keeping an eye on it. Maybe I am wrong and there is still air getting in. I did not hear a whine this time like an out of fluid situation would do.

Proper fill level is to just above tank where snout of fill attaches. Over fill it and pump will puke oil out around cap, and seek its correct level. Factory service manual lists correct PS pump fill procedure.

-
Back