PST 16:1 Box excessive play

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I just got my car on the road and there is an excessive amount of play in the steering wheel. I finally was able to get a helper and with the wheels off the ground, had him rock the steering wheel back and forth, while I checked for play. I immediately found it out of the box. https://youtube.com/shorts/c5XIJ-rUMJE?feature=share

What's disappointing is that the box is brand new, it has virtually no miles on it.

Do you think this will adjust out or do I need a replacement? I sent a shortened video to @PST to get their thoughts.

Thanks.
70 Dart, 16:1 manual steer.

Hello,

Please reach out to our customer service manager Dan at extension 306. You should not have lateral movement like such. I will be sending a him this link as well so that he can view the video. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We will get a replacement box sent out.

James From
PST

oh man that blows.. i'd like to get rid of my crappy stock box in our dart but all i see is issues with the pst box and the borgeson box posted on various forums.. with my luck i'm sure to get a bad one of whichever i decided to buy.. i just can't bring myself to spend the money on either box as i don't trust the after purchase support with either product...

I have had 2 Chevy 1500's, 1 GMC 1999 and all had the small P/S box by borgeson from the factory. one truck had 300,000 miles in it another one has 200,000 on it and still going strong

We have seen very few issues with our boxes. In the few cases that we have had most of the time the issue could be resolved by making adjustments to the box following the factory service. Now in a case like this we acknowledge there is an issue and there should not be lateral play. So a replacement will be sent our immediately.

We have sold 733 of these boxes over the past 5 years with little to no issues and if there is one we have worked with the customers.

James From
PST

I have had 2 Chevy 1500's, 1 GMC 1999 and all had the small P/S box by borgeson from the factory. one truck had 300,000 miles in it another one has 200,000 on it and still going strong

That's all great but they aren't the ones made to go into an old mopar.

Ya see everything from they sit on an angle (seemed to be earlier ones) to they are loud to this post about the pst unit.

Last edited:
That's all great but they aren't the ones made to go into an old mopar.

Ya see everything from they sit on an angle (seemed to be earlier ones) to they are loud to this post about the pst unit.

Now that I look at it it is real close to being the same, Borgeson fast ratio GM uses the Delphi 600 box and that it what I have and the box they use for the Mopar is a copy of that it looks like.

@PST I got the new box today. The invoice says 16:1, but when I turn the shaft by hand it takes, what seems like a lot of turns from lock to lock. Maybe it's deceiving because it's not in the car?

I had the same problem with a Borgensen box new once i adjusted the free via the adjuster it disappeared they will probaly give you similar advise

How many complete turns are you getting when turning the portion of the box that attaches to that column ?

James From
PST

How many complete turns are you getting when turning the portion of the box that attaches to that column ?

James From
PST

I turned it all the way to the left and counted 2 1/4, so maybe it was just me.

Also, what the best way to be sure the box is centered when installing? I was thinking turning it all the way one way and then going back until I saw the grooved spline pointing straight

The 16:1 is 2 1/4 clock to clock and you method for centering will work.

Thanks
James From
PST

I just got my car on the road and there is an excessive amount of play in the steering wheel. I finally was able to get a helper and with the wheels off the ground, had him rock the steering wheel back and forth, while I checked for play. I immediately found it out of the box. https://youtube.com/shorts/c5XIJ-rUMJE?feature=share

What's disappointing is that the box is brand new, it has virtually no miles on it.

Do you think this will adjust out or do I need a replacement? I sent a shortened video to @PST to get their thoughts.

Thanks.
70 Dart, 16:1 manual steer.
I have the same exact problem with my PST box. Sending it back to them.

We have seen very few issues with our boxes. In the few cases that we have had most of the time the issue could be resolved by making adjustments to the box following the factory service. Now in a case like this we acknowledge there is an issue and there should not be lateral play. So a replacement will be sent our immediately.

We have sold 733 of these boxes over the past 5 years with little to no issues and if there is one we have worked with the customers.

James From
PST
James I have a return invoice for a problem just like this. Should I just send the box back still and await a replacement?

Oh well. Guess I'll officially scratch this box off of my list of things to buy.

I mean, it sucks to get it and have it be "bad". But I'll tell you I bought a his box in 2019. I sent James that video and he had it all set so when I called their customer service, he verified my address and resent another one. No questions, asked. That is the best customer service you could ask for.

And the new one came and so far (haven't driven it yet) it's perfect.

I mean, it sucks to get it and have it be "bad". But I'll tell you I bought a his box in 2019. I sent James that video and he had it all set so when I called their customer service, he verified my address and resent another one. No questions, asked. That is the best customer service you could ask for.

And the new one came and so far (haven't driven it yet) it's perfect.

That's all fine and dandy but I'm not into doing things (especially steering boxes) twice.

James I have a return invoice for a problem just like this. Should I just send the box back still and await a replacement?

Did you reach out and speak to some one in our customer service as of yet? If not please call 800-247-2288 extension 307 and they will work with you.

Thanks
James From

Did you reach out and speak to some one in our customer service as of yet? If not please call 800-247-2288 extension 307 and they will work with you.

Thanks
James From

Yes. I have a return invoice. I'll PM you the info.

-
Back