Public service announcements. Please don’t use these.

-
7B6DBDE0-1FE0-4F62-8099-5A1A6ACC1C6B.gif

It's pretty easy to chip a razor blade and where you think that ends up , that's why carbide is my go to.
you have to be scraping fast n loose to be chipping a blade...hence the use of either putty knife or razor blade...also depends aluminum or iron...but regardless..in the roughly 30 yrs I've turned wrenches..I have NEVER seen a failure from a chipped razor blade. We are trying to remove the gasket in its entirety if possible.. Take your time folks.

Tip, persona trimmer blades.

As we can see there are lots of ways to get the job done. Some I would use some I wouldn’t. I’ll just say that some of the heads I get their first stop should have been to a machine shop to be resurfaced.

I'll have to check those out, my scrapers hurt my wallet off of the Cornwell truck.
Just checked them out I agree when mine wears out I'll get those
Go to a hydraulics shop and talk them out of a couple of vanes from a vane hydraulic pump. Then you need a handle. A heavy equipement wrecker should have old crawler steering clutch handles. Then get a bolt that fits the handle threads, and cut the bolt head off and weld it to the square edge of the vane. Install the handle with Loctite. Now rough sharpen the angled edge of the vane. When ground to a sharp edge it is not straight enough. Now use a sheet or two of emery cloth on glass to sharpen similar to how you would a knife. This will give good wearing scrapers for almost nothing. The pump vanes are hard and retain an edge well. Vanes from different size pumps will give you different width scrapers. These will outlast those expensive tool.truck scrapers by far.

Besides uncontrolled abrasive dust, the biggest issue is that flat-rate puts guys in a hurry, many don't care. They figure the same as the places they work, kick out the work, if You produce 2× & only 5-10% comes back it's a win.
As far as surface destruction goes, too many times what appears to be gasket/residue on the surface is really staining or contaminated pitting/recession in the surface. They will tip a fresh cookie up on end and destroy that part of the surface trying to "get it clean", careless & stooopid, but all too common.

Besides uncontrolled abrasive dust, the biggest issue is that flat-rate puts guys in a hurry, many don't care. They figure the same as the places they work, kick out the work, if You produce 2× & only 5-10% comes back it's a win.
As far as surface destruction goes, too many times what appears to be gasket/residue on the surface is really staining or contaminated pitting/recession in the surface. They will tip a fresh cookie up on end and destroy that part of the surface trying to "get it clean", careless & stooopid, but all too common.
It’s crazy how much people don’t care about there work. Half of our shop is like that. Just jam work out and worry about it later

But yet guys still use them today on race heads, manifolds, and engine blocks. If you saw it magnified under a microscope you I’ll say probably wouldn’t.

LOL! I used to say "butcher" back in the 90s. Brings back memories. That and "Hack" we had a guy in our shop that we nicknamed "Hack" he answered to it too... I think it evolved to "Hacker" . "hey Hacker..." LOL! :lol::p
That's hilarious man we used to finish drywall behind a bunch of guys we all called Hack and Slash and it didn't matter what crew they were from they were all freaking butchers

Go to a hydraulics shop and talk them out of a couple of vanes from a vane hydraulic pump. Then you need a handle. A heavy equipement wrecker should have old crawler steering clutch handles. Then get a bolt that fits the handle threads, and cut the bolt head off and weld it to the square edge of the vane. Install the handle with Loctite. Now rough sharpen the angled edge of the vane. When ground to a sharp edge it is not straight enough. Now use a sheet or two of emery cloth on glass to sharpen similar to how you would a knife. This will give good wearing scrapers for almost nothing. The pump vanes are hard and retain an edge well. Vanes from different size pumps will give you different width scrapers. These will outlast those expensive tool.truck scrapers by far.
You're Sick. I love it!

Good friend of mine worked for a Chrysler dealership on flat-rate.
When 2.2 Chryslers would come in with a bad head-gasket, he got so good at them, he would just lift the head up, slide the gasket out, and put another gasket in place, and bolt them back down. Never would even look at the head.
He said only 1 in 10 would come back, and he would actually have to fix them.

Good friend of mine worked for a Chrysler dealership on flat-rate.
When 2.2 Chryslers would come in with a bad head-gasket, he got so good at them, he would just lift the head up, slide the gasket out, and put another gasket in place, and bolt them back down. Never would even look at the head.
He said only 1 in 10 would come back, and he would actually have to fix them.
Yep, 2 guys held the head up, mannys still attached, 3rd guy swapped out the gaskets. A common dealer tech practice at the time..

I've used wire wheels on iron blocks, heads and intakes, and, before assembling, scrub the surfaces good with brake clean....never had a sealing problem.

-
Back