Puking gas

-

BlindSquirrel

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,

When I fill up the gas tank on my '67 Barracuda, I always end up with gas down the side of the car and on my shoes. It doesn't matter whether I use the auto-fill on the gas pump, or regulate the gas flow by hand - when the tank gets full, gas shoots out of the filler neck.

Is a breather hose missing/clogged? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BlindSquirrel

Thats a common problem where a skiinny unleaded nozzle shoots fuel in much faster than the old school leaded fuel pump/nozzle did. The earlier models were even worse than yours due to the angle of their filler tube. You can check the vent tube but I doubt its a factor.

I always control the feed at the pump or I will get soaked, always stand off to the side when filling. Mine is a 72 Dart, welcome to old school

Mine does the same everytime as well. Unless you just have it at a bare trickle coming out of the nozzle

The simplest solution would be..
Go to the full service pimp islands. :)

Why fill the tank?? Just more weight to lug around....If you're like me, fuel on the side of the car really ticks you off! Maybe a suggestion, turn your key on acc or on and watch the fuel gauge, when it is close to 3/4 tank simply fine the nearest shut off price you like and call it quits!! Another thing I have on my 67 cuda...you may not like but, it is a fuel cell w/the proper fuel sender which works w/the dash gauge!!! you can modify the fuel tank fill tube or simply open the trunk to add your favorite "GO" juice!!

Same issue here, I either listen for the fuel or don't top it off. Usually don't top it off....I'm guessing it wouldn't be fun to burn my face off :angry4: while listening to the nozzle. The only time I "fill 'er up" is if I'm going on a road trip.

This is a design problem that has always got my goat. I think it's the angle of the hose going down into the tank.
I always have a small towel to wipe off the gas. You can listen to the gas and try to shut it off before it spills. I just expect it to spill. :puke:

There's some rust behind the rear passenger tire, but not on the driver's side.
Do you think that gas could have been preventing it from rusting?
I've always thought so, but I'm really just trying to find something good about the gas spilling. What do you think?

-
Back