Pulley Diameters

-
I had a Farmall tractor that I ran 24-7 for 3 weeks at the time powering paddlewheel airator in catfish ponds that didn't even have a water pump on it and while working in stationary position didn't run hot!

Ever grab a hot baked potato out of the oven with bare hands and quickly put it on the counter without getting burned ?

How is that ?

Based on the page from post #21 if you have a 6.5" crank pulley on the engine, than a 5" pulley on the water pump would get you the 1.3:1 ratio Assuming my math is correct. (6.5 / 1.3 = 5)

My 67 273 (no AC) has about 6.125 crank and 6.5 water pump pulley, that is a 0.95:1 ratio (6.125 / 0.95 = 6.47)

Time to hit the wrecking yards!

T'stat is a 180* & checked in a pan of water before installed. Lower hose has spring & running a 17" Mopar clutch fan w/ a shroud. 3 core Mopar radiator.

Anything is possible though...it is a Demon LOL :)

I like unedumacated guesses....seems like I'm good at those :BangHead:

So when you underdrive the WP, your WP pulley is larger than the crank pulley correct??

I hate this, but am determined to fix it!!!!

Is it a high flow thermostat? That can make a difference.

I've been chasing a running hot problem (210*) for quite a while on my 340 w/ aftermarket AC. The car has billet aluminum pulleys right now that are both 6 1/2" diameter.

I believe the crank pulley should be larger than the water pump pulley.

What should the pulley diameters be on a small block w/ AC ??

When you find out that is worth noting, I did a pulley ID thread long time ago but I never touched on a/c because I have never had a car with a complete a/c setup.

Lots of trial & error today. A friend brought over a crate of pulleys & the rubik's cube puzzle began to take hold. Thanks much Jim :thumbsup: :D

Finally tonight found a couple pulleys that may work. I'm looking for input on the better choice ??

I can use a 6 1/2" crank pulley with a 5 3/4" water pump pulley which would be 3/4" difference

or

A 7 1/4" crank pulley with a 5 3/4" water pump pulley which would be 1 1/2" difference

The 7 1/4 and 5 3/4 gets you ~1.3:1 but that affects the other accessories being driven assuming they are correct with the 6.5" crank pulley now (unless the crank pulley has different sized pulleys on it)

I like the 7 1/4 and 5 3/4 match up. I don't think it will hurt the other accessories one bit.

I'd go with the 6-1/2 and 5-3/4. Incremental change since its not a drastic problem. 13%-ish increase in fan/pump speed is significant I think.
Between that and the shower caps:rolleyes: :soapbox: :D
I think you'll be summer desert chillin' in no time.:steering::thumbsup:

How much does an average thermostat flow ?

What I am getting at is if you have a restriction in the flow path that will limit how fast the coolant will flow what good does it do to try to move it faster ? All it will do is create pressure. And if you are running a clutch fan you run the risk of snapping a shaft at high rpmsor throwing a belt.
Is my thinking flawed ?

I dont believe flow is the issue.
Fan wil be moving faster so it will draw more air thru the rad.

The water pump is not a pressure making pump. It is a flow pump. It does not create pressure. It only moves water. C's car has zero overdrive on the fan pulley right now. She lives in Arizona. No way would I not make a change and not make it a significant one, which is why I recommended the larger difference pulleys.

All that being said, 210 isn't over heating anyway, BUT the water pump is SUPPOSED to be over driven with A/C and it's not.

I had a Farmall tractor that I ran 24-7 for 3 weeks at the time powering paddlewheel airator in catfish ponds that didn't even have a water pump on it and while working in stationary position didn't run hot!
was more than likely a 4 cyl., that didn`t make over 36 h.p. too !
IF THAT !

Ive known the car several years and the climate for decades:D

13% is a significant change, and makes it overdriven as it should be.
Its not a massive overheating problem, just an irritating and frustrating one.

Been working on fitment all day. Decided to stay with the existing 6 1/2" crank pulley, since it will keep the power steering belt setup as was already in use. Can always change the crank pulley to the 7 1/4 if this doesn't work.

This is truly a puzzle with many variables. I appreciate all the input provided :thumbsup:

All that being said, 210 isn't over heating anyway, BUT the water pump is SUPPOSED to be over driven with A/C and it's not.

The car has climbed to 230* with the AC running, but never boiled over. I agree with overdriven & hope this may fix the issue...

Its not a massive overheating problem, just an irritating and frustrating one.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I'm hoping that an overdrive pulley on the water pump will help tremendously...

Fingers crossed :)

The car has climbed to 230* with the AC running, but never boiled over. I agree with overdriven & hope this may fix the issue...

I sure hope it does too! Please report back and let us know! I wish you lots of luck!

All belts and accessories are now lined up except for the alternator. I think if we replace the single alternator pulley with a dual pulley, the last piece of the puzzle will fall in place....

From doing some research, the pulley change over is not a piece of cake :BangHead:

We have a puller to get the pulley off, but not sure about installing the new one. Words of advice??

I'd swap the alternator for one with two shivs :D
at least for test fitting...you must have an old core lying around...

you must have an old core lying around...

Got a crate of alternators lying around ?? :poke: :p

Yes, have an old one on the car now for mock up, but my alternator is chrome with a single pulley, so I'd like to use it if possible.

Not currently in a crate, no... but prob enough to fill one :eek::D

nothing in chrome though, sorry!:lol:

not sure but I think the shaft length is different btwn the 1 and 2 groove alt.

7 1/4 is always better than 5 3/4 :)

Those pulleys better be clean so someones hand don't get too dirty! LOL

-
Back