Pulley Problems! (STILL!)

-

hemicop

Reaction score
:angry5:So I thought I had my pulley issues cured, and to make a long story short, they aren't. ANYBODY now what the part numbers are for the crankshaft & water pump if you're using a 1/4in. engine plate & ATI dampner? Even ATI themselves can't help me out!:angry5::angry5::angry5::angry5::angry5:

Hemicop sorry to say but i used stock pulley and had a spacer to make it work.only difference is i used motor and i went with March serp pulley set up

Attachments

• IM000788.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 288
correct me if im wrong but if the plate spaces out the alt and water pump the same distance...

why not just make a "wheel spacer" for the pulley?

I used the ATI ddampner on my 408 build(no engine plate)I had to order a universal pulley from Mancinis Racing($60)to get everything to line up.Good luck.

My concern there, is the extra load on the waterpump bearing. By spacing the pulley further out onto the waterpump's snout you're effectively adding leverage & therefore added weight once the thing starts spinning , effectively shortening the lifespan of the bearing. I already had to use 2 sets of spacers to move the waterpump housing away from the engine/engineplatein order to align the pulleys. I'm thinking this is only a "band-aid" for a problem that could be fixed with the proper, more shallow crankshaft pulley, but I just can't find one!

correct me if im wrong but if the plate spaces out the alt and water pump the same distance...

why not just make a "wheel spacer" for the pulley?

Oh, you're right on that. But even then the crankshaft pulley is so far forward of the others it still doesn't move it out far enough. You should come by & see it!

Just mill 1/4" off the back of the waterpump housing.
The problem is that even with a stock waterpump housing, the dampner protrudes too far forward, so milling or shortening the housing will only make it worse. It looks like I a need a crank pulley that's 2 1/2ins shorter (less deep?)or 2in total "height" than what I have now but no one seems to know what I'm talking about--not ATI, March or the few Mopar guys I've spoken to.

The problem is that even with a stock waterpump housing, the dampner protrudes too far forward, so milling or shortening the housing will only make it worse. It looks like I a need a crank pulley that's 2 1/2ins shorter (less deep?)or 2in total "height" than what I have now but no one seems to know what I'm talking about--not ATI, March or the few Mopar guys I've spoken to.

OHHH... i thought the dampner was to shallow... lol

FINALLY got it straightened out!:blob::blob:
For those (few) that may care or ever run into a similiar problem I found the answer! A small block, non P/S B-body crankshaft pulley will work if you're using an ATI dampner & 1/4in. motorplate! Everything lines up! No spacers, adapters or any weird add-ons. The "trick" seems to be finding a B-body without power steering in order to get the 2in. deep crank pulley!

-
Back