Pulley System

-
Did those mounts include the brackets? V/8 mounts will not fit a/6 crossmember. By the prices that you listed I'd say that you did this year's ago. $250 would have a hard time covering the fluids, filters, hoses, belts, etc. I'm sure that you did this several years ago. But I'm glad that you did and hopefully you are still enjoying the car.
yes, they were a special mix of B body and who knows what, kinda like the conversion mounts they sell as a kit now, but patched together from OEM parts

and i looked it up, it was in the fall/winter of 2014

meet ginger

i do still have her, but she needs a new set of clutch liners for the 727

if you're big shoots and all new a /6 to V8 swap is gonna be WAY over 10K. hell, an ATK 360 is about 6K alone.

but if you took your time and shopped wisely, selected good used components and didn't shoot the moon (ie 8.25 open rear end instead of 8.75 SG) you could pull that combo together for easily half that.

but again, all I see are excuses and backward reasons on why not to buy something that ostensibly could be a really great car.

in this game, beggars can't be choosers-- especially at your price point. so you either gotta get creative or you gotta put in the work by physically swapping/building what you want; as well as making smart, timely decisions on those items.

frequently if you can do both of those things the end result is much better than what you could buy "off the shelf" and you also come out ahead with a little more money in your account.

yes, they were a special mix of B body and who knows what, kinda like the conversion mounts they sell as a kit now, but patched together from OEM parts

meet ginger

I looked up a new radiator for a A body with a small block, $325. Where did you get a new 1 for a hundred dollars

I looked up a new radiator for a A body with a small block, $325. Where did you get a new 1 for a hundred dollars

Lost of stuff is more expensive on the internet. Troll around your local shops and I bet you'd be shocked what you can find.
Older cities tend to have shops around that do work people aren't even aware is possible for costs that make buying new parts seem silly in many cases.

Older cities tend to have shops around that do work people aren't even aware is possible for costs that make buying new parts seem silly in many cases.
I agree with this one!.......We've got a wizzard in town with exhaust systems. Custom makes anything you want, changes out flex joints and repairs O2 bungs. No need to buy the expensive replacement pipes that contain these components. Re & Re's Hemi exhaust manifolds with upgraded hardware so no more leaks less than $450 all in, including parts, labour and tax. The shop does rads as well......Can fix anything.

You forgot about the rear end, brakes. That 7 1/4" isn't going to last long behind a V/8. I, myself wouldn't put in a used engine ever again. I did that once and it was a nightmare.
Only way I'd even consider that is if it was in a car and running...

meet ginger

Home made conversion mounts... cool!

Yeah- passcar mount on the driver's side and a truck mount/bracket on the passenger side. Done. It's what the conversion mounts are patterned after anyways.
That's killer Man! So it's a standard passenger car mount and bracket on the driver side it's just a truck mount one (I know they are taller) on the passenger? Or is the passenger car bracket actually cut and welded with a slant six bracket at the bottom?

That's killer Man! So it's a standard passenger car mount and bracket on the driver side it's just a truck mount one (I know they are taller) on the passenger? Or is the passenger car bracket actually cut and welded with a slant six bracket at the bottom?
The slant 6 K frame is basically the same as the V8 on the driver's side (we're talkin' the '67-'72 biscuit mount type here) with the truck bracket and thick truck rubber mount making up the difference in height on the passenger side. You can also use a passcar mount with a piece of box tubing (I forget if it's 2 or 3" tubing) to make up the difference- a 3-4" chunk of tubing, drill appropriately placed holes on opposite sides, bolt it to the K frame mount and drop the rubber isolator stud into the top hole.

The slant 6 K frame is basically the same as the V8 on the driver's side (we're talkin' the '67-'72 biscuit mount type here) with the truck bracket and thick truck rubber mount making up the difference in height on the passenger side. You can also use a passcar mount with a piece of box tubing (I forget if it's 2 or 3" tubing) to make up the difference- a 3-4" chunk of tubing, drill appropriately placed holes on opposite sides, bolt it to the K frame mount and drop the rubber isolator stud into the top hole.
Thank You! I don't have the need now but I wish I had known that 30 years ago! Well if I build another one I will always keep that in mind, definitely make things easy,and cost effective! And I like cost-effective! Kind of sucks for everybody that Schumacher went out of business. He actually spent about 15 minutes BSn with me on the phone one day he sounded like a pretty good guy! I do know another company pick them up some guys out of California just they're kind of slow getting everything rolling again. My deal going with Factory Parts man that's just a good deal!

Home made conversion mounts... cool!
Technically, ma mopar made them

You use a regular v8 mount on driver side and use a truck mount on the passenger side, grab a few biscuits and that is all there is to it

(Edit, looks like a few other beat me to it)

Technically, ma mopar made them

You use a regular v8 mount on driver side and use a truck mount on the passenger side, grab a few biscuits and that is all there is to it

(Edit, looks like a few other beat me to it)
Well different words, give different pictures, so I can see it more clearly now. So technically, you don't have to cut or weld anything?

if you can't find the 'ideal' car in your budget then buy one you can afford that has a good body, that's the most important thing as bodywork/paint can cost more than all the v8 swaps you can imagine. then uprate to the 'ideal' car as and when those 'ideal parts come up at better than 10k prices. if you buy parts because you want them for future upgrades and not because you need them now you can afford to wait for the best prices. at least you would actually have a car you can use then. unless you don't intend to ever buy a car and are just dreaming about it by seeming interested and asking/researching to seem plausible?

if you can't find the 'ideal' car in your budget then buy one you can afford that has a good body, that's the most important thing as bodywork/paint can cost more than all the v8 swaps you can imagine. then uprate to the 'ideal' car as and when those 'ideal parts come up at better than 10k prices. if you buy parts because you want them for future upgrades and not because you need them now you can afford to wait for the best prices. at least you would actually have a car you can use then. unless you don't intend to ever buy a car and are just dreaming about it by seeming interested and asking/researching to seem plausible?
Getting a clean / running car even if it's a /6 is looking like a good idea all time. Engine work I can do and replace the /6 with a 360

Getting a clean / running car even if it's a /6 is looking like a good idea all time. Engine work I can do and replace the /6 with a 360
20211125_234808.jpg
since You asked the Other Week, here's a pic

20211125_234657.jpg

Best AC system for A-bodies is the 2WDF system - 2 front windows down, driving as fast as you can get away with. Plus you lose all the useless weight of an AC compressor and the expense of refrigerant for "recharges".

-
Back