pulleys

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with the pulleys not lining up? The belt set up has just been a mess for me. I have tried two different water pump pulleys now. The second water pump pulleys made it so alternator and water pump pulleys line up but the crank shaft is still not lines up. I would say almost a good 1/4 in farther back then the other two. Anyone got pictures of the fell belt setup with power steering:banghead:

It may help to post exactly what year car and engine that you have....

For our 360, my son and I had to go to our "pulley stash box" and mix and match until we got a combo that lined up...

Do you have the alternator pulley lined up with one of the grooves on the crank pulley? Find a pulley to match them if you do.

Ya I only have the spare water pump one after thats I only have a set for car with ac so the 4 groove crank two groove water pump and alt. Its a 440 with who knows what mix match year pulleys on it right now

If you don't have a pulley stash box like mentioned above I have one that I can look thru for you.
will need to know measurements and groove count.

Not sure if this will help you much but I snapped a picture of one I didn't have a shroud on.
Sorry about the dust, kind of a neglected project.
I have no idea how stock this is. But it lines up well.
Single groove alternator and PS pump. Double on water pump. Triple on crank but could have
used a double as 1 outer groove is not being used.
I know the pulley are all 440s but years and applications is unknown. Could be anything
as I just toss them in a box and pull out what works as I need them.
If you could figure out what you need dimension wise on the pulley that is giving you the misalignment I could look thru what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_124040_557.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 493
Here are a couple of pictures of the 440 I just put in my 69 Barracuda. Engine and brackets are 1976 I believe. I did pull the pulley off the PS pump and reverse it....

Attachments

• DSC_2917_01.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC_2919_01.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC_2920_01.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 533
440 source makes some for the crank that I found. Starting to think my crank pulley isnt a 440 one since I am only one having problem with it :/

Why don't you make a spacer yourself? I had the same problem with the 360 in my duster so I made a spacer out of 1/4" plate for the crank pulley and it worked great. Hasn't thrown a belt yet and it hit some high RPMs.

you need to have all the matched pulleys and brackets for your application. that set up is all wrong for a non-a/c car... you can play around with spacers and all that other stupid crap or just do it right and do it once..:)

the proper belt routing is:

the rear belt hits the crank,water pump and alt. the front pulley is crank and power steering pump only...

bigblockcrankpulley.jpg

bigblockwppulley.jpg

needed alt. bracket: http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/5250_alternator_brackets

ps pump brackets: http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/power_steering_brackets

ps pump pulleys: http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/power_steering_pulleys

-
Back