Pulling engine?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Just wondewring if the two 9/16 bolts, below will be strong enough to pull the 440 out \? One is at the pass. side, rear of the head and the other, on the drivers side, front of the head.
Thanks

Attachments

• drvrfronthead.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 199
  • passrearhead2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 199
If they are grade 8 sure. That sheer tension, not thread. Better to use a lifting plate but use what you got safely. Never go under a slung load and hold your breath swinging it over the fender. Just make sure the bolts thread in at least 75% of diameter of thread and they are snug.
Here is a thought, sling chain under intake and hook it back to itself if you have the chain length.

Those are the points I use... I'd say if it threads in all the way (the holes are not plugged with crap) you're good.

those are the points I've used to pull countless engines. Remember to be safe and that a slung load tends to sway as you move it and can tip over, make sure any extra hands you have helping understand this as well and are paying attention. No need to drop a 600 lbs engine on your chest or limbs.

Also, you can rent an engine pulling plate that bolts to your intake for 20-25 bucks from the local autozone and they refund it fully when you bring it back.

I've pulled countless engines this way. The later 360s had "eyes" bolted to the intake.....one bolt. I've never in my life used a grade 8 bolt. Your engine bolts are grade 5.

Not sure, but I think the only grade 8 bolts in an engine are the crank bolts, mains, rods, and maybe head bolts, and possibly the cam bolt.

Most / all other fasteners are grade 5

-
Back