Pulling V.A at idle

-
And the primary picture was with the blades all the way closed. They are a little more the square. I would square them up and crack the secondaries just a LITTLE. Dont crack them enough to expose any of the t slots. Just a little.
Ok cool. But would the main idle on the throttle level affect the t-slot on the primary? And No Sir, no finger on the primary pic. Should I close the main idle screw ?

20220515_194459.jpg
She's pretty thin...

Those are junk gaskets. Don't know why people still use them, especially now since carburetors really need to be kept cooler to keep the ethanol in check.

Open the secondaries "a little" just like I described. Don't expose any of the t slots...that is UNLESS they are RIGHT THERE ready to be exposed if you crack them open any....and I'm sure they're not, so just "a little". Close the idle screw until the T slots are perfectly square, and don't mess with the idle screw again. Use the timing and air screws to get the idle right. You might even have to remove the carburetor again to give it a "little more" on the secondaries, but don't do it with the primaries.

I don't think this is gonna solve your vacuum advance issue though, because the primary t slots are pretty close. I'm thinkin it may have an incorrect gasket as someone eluded to earlier. But, since you have the carburetor OFF, there's no sense in not getting "all this" perfect.

Those are junk gaskets. Don't know why people still use them, especially now since carburetors really need to be kept cooler to keep the ethanol in check.

Open the secondaries "a little" just like I described. Don't expose any of the t slots...that is UNLESS they are RIGHT THERE ready to be exposed if you crack them open any....and I'm sure they're not, so just "a little". Close the idle screw until the T slots are perfectly square, and don't mess with the idle screw again. Use the timing and air screws to get the idle right. You might even have to remove the carburetor again to give it a "little more" on the secondaries, but don't do it with the primaries.

I don't think this is gonna solve your vacuum advance issue though, because the primary t slots are pretty close. I'm thinkin it may have an incorrect gasket as someone eluded to earlier. But, since you have the carburetor OFF, there's no sense in not getting "all this" perfect.
I agree, if Yer gonna go in, do it all, correctly, the first time!
It's a stock carb... not sure if it was a China holley. 12 years old, maybe 13.. possibly incorrect from Factory? And No Sir, the Secondary T slots are " up in the hole" definitely not "right there"!

I agree, if Yer gonna go in, do it all, correctly, the first time!
It's a stock carb... not sure if it was a China holley. 12 years old, maybe 13.. possibly incorrect from Factory? And No Sir, the Secondary T slots are " up in the hole" definitely not "right there"!
Ok, then hold a light on the top side as you as you adjust the secondaries open so you can see the crack when they open. Like I said, just a little.

10-4 Rob! But once that is done, Never adjust the Main idle screw?
Correct. As long as it's squared up. I wouldn't touch it unless I absolutely had to. You really shouldn't if the timing is about right.

Correct. As long as it's squared up. I wouldn't touch it unless I absolutely had to. You really shouldn't if the timing is about right.
Yessir, Rob I just Gotta Say, I've always tried to do my research and build a realistic combo, that's on the knife edge of street/ strip. But never paid much attention to Super- Tuning. You know, that guy.. "Hey Man, She's running Great!" Lol... i really Appreciate You and the Other Great Members here that take the time to respond ( and in Great Detail), to my Pain in the *** Questions, due to my ignorance! Thanks Y'all! Now, where do I score a thick Holley single plane gasket? Lol

Maybe photo angle, but I don't see any T slots in the secondaries, only an idle feed hole [ non-adjustable ].

Nice Man! Thanks! With a cold air intake sealed to the hood, and a no heat riser Strip Dom, w/ a mill that runs 180, do you think it'll help anything? Please remember, if you simply say, it'll get me a slightly cooler/ density fuel mix and I may gain a 10th of a pony, I'm in! Haha
Yeah, it sure caint hurt.

Maybe photo angle, but I don't see any T slots in the secondaries, only an idle feed hole [ non-adjustable ].
They are up in there a Lil bit. Possibly I had the linkage jammed in the Primary, but after checking today, they are pretty darn square. Cracked the secondary blades a Lil ( looks close, w/ led flashlight and eyeglasses)..

They are up in there a Lil bit. Possibly I had the linkage jammed in the Primary, but after checking today, they are pretty darn square. Cracked the secondary blades a Lil ( looks close, w/ led flashlight and eyeglasses)..
I wonder if it's possible the carburetor's choke cam was on one of the steps causing the primaries to be open a little too far? SOMETHING is causing you to get vacuum at idle on that vacuum advance port.

Cool, thank You! So, quick question, when I cracked open the Secondaries a hair, will the additional air give more vacuum, therfore drawing in more fuel to go along with it?
It'll pull air from the secondaries and allow you to drop the primary idle down hopefully enough to stop the idle vacuum on the vacuum advance port. It'e either the idle was too high on the primaries, or like someone mentioned earlier, an incorrect gasket.

I wonder if it's possible the carburetor's choke cam was on one of the steps causing the primaries to be open a little too far? SOMETHING is causing you to get vacuum at idle on that vacuum advance port.
Well, what I Didn't Do, was check w/ the vac gauge, just plugged the can back in. Wonder if the springs in the mechanical advance are just super light? I have one o them might vac gimmicks too, garage sale deal... no idea how to really use it

Well, what I Didn't Do, was check w/ the vac gauge, just plugged the can back in. Wonder if the springs in the mechanical advance are just super light? I have one o them might vac gimmicks too, garage sale deal... no idea how to really use it
What was the idle speed?

Ok, I've had issues when it's idled down, then putting in Park
Your timing might not be where you think it is. I think it's time to start verifying some things.

Your timing might not be where you think it is. I think it's time to start verifying some things.
Where do You think We should start? Double checking TDC? I really don't wanna pull the intake and a head to put a dial on it. I know bout the piston stop Thang, but, with the adjustable ones, and non stock pistons, I'm not sure how I'd just "shove it the hole" and get an accurate reading..do they come w/ instructions? I've seen some guys here have made em. Heck, I cain't remember who it was, but one of Y'all posted a pic of a homemade one, I think from the 70s? Hope Kitty and You are doing Great this evening!

Last edited:
Where do You think We should start? Double checking TDC? I really don't wanna pull the intake and a head to put a dial on it. I know bout the piston stop Thang, but, with the adjustable ones, and non stock pistons, I'm not sure how I'd just "shove it the hole" and get an accurate reading..do they come w/ instructions? I've seen some guys here have made em. Heck, I cain't remember who it was, but one of Y'all posted a pic of a homemade one, I think from the 70s? Hope Kitty and You are doing Great this evening!
I would verify TDC with a piston stop, because of that's off, you'll never get any of it right. It's so easy to do, I would get it out of the way and then move on.

I would verify TDC with a piston stop, because of that's off, you'll never get any of it right. It's so easy to do, I would get it out of the way and then move on.
Alright, sounds good! I'm just worried I'll screw it in to tight, and scar a piston? Or not a very good reading. I guess I could screw it in slow, and slowly turn the engine, while adjusting the stop. I'll have to read up on it.......

-
Back