pump gas build

-
If that's all you want why not leave it stock?
Stock runs on pump gas.
Because there's a crapton of room between the stock compression down in the 7s and what you can still run on pump gas. I'd say even with a very conservative camshaft, he can still get away with 9:1 compression. That's a HUGE jump from the 7s.

yeah I get that... but he never said anything to that point about a performance boost, only that he wanted an engine to run on pump gas...... after reading so much here and on teh other site, and working thru my own engine, I know there's alot that can be done...... prior to the current project Id rebuilt a couple of /6s over the years.... both back to stock, with only necessary machine work, to bring tolerances back where they need to be.

With a slant six, no matter what else you might or might not do, at least bring the compression to stock spec. Depending on what manual you look at, the spec is listed as either 8.2 or 8.4 to 1. I have never taken a slant apart, and got a actual measured ratio of more then 8-1.Most were in the 7's, and that was with stock pistons, and a "shim" gasket. Any aftermarket head gasket will be thicker, and I have read about some replacement pistons that are lower in the bore, so that would hurt compression even more.

yeah I get that... but he never said anything to that point about a performance boost, only that he wanted an engine to run on pump gas...... after reading so much here and on teh other site, and working thru my own engine, I know there's alot that can be done...... prior to the current project Id rebuilt a couple of /6s over the years.... both back to stock, with only necessary machine work, to bring tolerances back where they need to be.
Lol! Well, true as that is, We're gearhead guilty & "pump-gas build" usually means the most output in the desired RPM range on pump PREMIUM. Big difference in possibilities 87 to 93/94 .......not that it's relevant, but a modern Hyundai 2.5L is making 190+ hp na and running just over 13:1 squeeze on 87 regular.......

Ours ended up at just under 8.8:1 and I was worried but it has work flawlessly, even pulling a 20 mile hill in 100 degree heat. We run regular in it not premium as well.

Ours ended up at just under 8.8:1 and I was worried but it has work flawlessly, even pulling a 20 mile hill in 100 degree heat. We run regular in it not premium as well.
They can be very potent engines for sixes if the combination is right.

Going from 7:1 to 9:1 compression yields more power than going from 10:1 to 12:1. The curve is not a straight line. Well worth the effort in my opinion if you are starting with a veeeery low CR.

-
Back