Pump It Down....EASY

BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMember
Reaction score
Someone should explain to me how a car suddenly will steer straight and true by simply lowering the pump pressure.
The play causing a car to wonder is always somewhere in the wheel alignment, steeringbox, steering joint, balljoints, bearingplay and/or idler-arm bushing.

imo, lowering the pump's oil pressure would even increase play in the steeringbox. Try driving around without the v-belt on the pump and see how much more play there is in the steeringwheel.

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone should explain to me how a car suddenly will steer straight and true by simply lowering the pump pressure.
The play causing a car to wonder is always somewhere in the wheel alignment, steeringbox, steering joint, balljoints, bearingplay and/or idler-arm bushing.

imo, lowering the pump's oil pressure would even increase play in the steeringbox. Try driving around without the v-belt on the pump and see how much more play there is in the steeringwheel.

It's not the play but the over-assist that the early Mopars have. Mine goes straight down the road but if you turn the wheel the slightest amount it will go that direction too easily. Too much pressure- too much assist. No road feel. GM had variable ratio steering boxes where Mopar didn't until later. Those boxes had more neutral position road feel than a standard box. The 60's Mopars had over assisted power brakes also.

johnsvide

Reaction score
It's not the play but the over-assist that the early Mopars have. Mine goes straight down the road but if you turn the wheel the slightest amount it will go that direction too easily. Too much pressure- too much assist. No road feel. GM had variable ratio steering boxes where Mopar didn't until later. Those boxes had more neutral position road feel than a standard box. The 60's Mopars had over assisted power brakes also.

johnsvide

Reaction score
I have a Federal pump on my '72 swinger, Do you have to remove the pulley to get to the pressure valve or can you get to it by removing the back of pump?

jeffnmo

Just another Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the pulley, Just take a screw driver and pry the tank off the pump you will see the pressure valve take it out, mine only had one washer on it and I added two more from an old pump, My steering gear was already tight so if yours is loose you might to tighten it up.

Jeff

johnsvide

Reaction score
You don't have to remove the pulley, Just take a screw driver and pry the tank off the pump you will see the pressure valve take it out, mine only had one washer on it and I added two more from an old pump, My steering gear was already tight so if yours is loose you might to tighten it up.

Jeff
Thanks for the info, Will Modify!

SSG_Karg

I am the Nightrider!
Reaction score

Jeff
How did you get the valve out of the pump? I removed the snap ring and it won't come out. Tried grabbing the "button" on top with pliers, beating on the pump with plastic hammer like FSM suggests....nuthin.

jeffnmo

Reaction score
I pushed down on it several times and it finally popped out enough to grab, Hope this helps.

Jeff

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Well ssg did you get it out? I have the same issue, it says it aint coming out! I bought a new pump for orieleys took it apart and it has three washers on it. should I still add some? I was gonna take em off the old pump but cant get the valve out!

jeffnmo

Reaction score
Spray some wd-40 on it and push on it real quick a few times it should pop out enough to grab it, there're might be a ridge preventing from coming out. One I had popped right out and the other one I had to mess with for a while but it did come out, keep messin' with it you'll get and love the results.

Jeff

SSG_Karg

I am the Nightrider!
Reaction score
Well ssg did you get it out? I have the same issue, it says it aint coming out! I bought a new pump for orieleys took it apart and it has three washers on it. should I still add some? I was gonna take em off the old pump but cant get the valve out!
Negative. Gave up and put it back together so I can drive it. I'll attack it again over the winter.

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Mine finally came out, two days of working with it and wd40 what a pain. added two washers will let you know how it drives once i get the rearend back in it. doing the 8.8 410 lsd swap also.

69wacuda

Handling, and a 500ci engine.... All in good time!
Reaction score
I think Bergman Auto sells the spacers for under $20 for those who can't make some themselves.

I just checked their website and $17 is not bad for those who want to just buy the shims, but $16 shipping on a $17 part seems like someone is taking crazy pills to me....:realcrazy: lol

Cleary67

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for some parts to get my engine back in, it was the perfect opportunity to do the "Pump It Down " modification to my power steering pump.

Already off the engine made it easier but still easy while in the car.

In the vise
View attachment 1714945013

Valve assembly out...
View attachment 1714945014

Stem disassembled

View attachment 1714945015

Little. 016 shim....
View attachment 1714945016

I'm lucky to work in a machine shop. ...made up some washers...
View attachment 1714945018

Stacked together. ...
View attachment 1714945020

Then just reassemble. ....
Honestly. ...it's easier than falling down drunk!

Jeff
What pump is this one pictured? Mine on the 67 cuda I'd different.. Is mine a federal then? And it doesn't seem to have that valve piece on it, only in and out lines. I have a housing on the gear box that looks like there may be a valve in..?

1486239018277-310193025.jpg

1486239060480798361680.jpg

moparmat2000

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure but i think the saginaw pump core listed for a slant sux has the pump pressure dialed down already. If so just buy a remanned pump core for a slanty.

I think i read somewhere that the stock pump pressures were around 1600 psi. Thats pretty frigging high. No wonder its got a floaty boaty feel.

Last edited:

moparmat2000

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure but i dont think you can put a saginaw pump in place of the federal pump using the saginaw pump brackets. Something about the pump hitting somewhere on the earlier K frame or something.

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
What about Retro-Fitting a Modern power steering pump? I saw a Article about it in my Mopar book.

Cleary67

Reaction score

Jeff
Is the the valve body in the inside of the federal pump?

1486838107357433539108.jpg