Purchased 8 3/4 rear I need some help

-

mowrycuda68

Reaction score
I just recieved my narrowed 8.75 rear housing, I looked it over and the width is off my 1/8 inch. the housing measures 52.5 is this acceptable when I ordered it 52 5/8? I hope I didn't get a 300 dollar boat anchor.

If they used a hack saw I'd say they were off by a couple of saw cut widths they may not have accounted for. Or one guy measured and another guy cut the wrong side of the line. One or the other of you guys may have an inaccurate measuing device, so double check before you panic.

Yeah no problems there. You'll just have to compensate with the threaded adjuster on your passenger side axle. It will be able to move plenty to keep your axle end play correct.

how best to remove the welding slag from the inside of the bearing hubs?

sometimes you can pop it off pretty easy by tapping on it with a screwdriver. It's usually not stuck too hard. If it is you can use a die grinder with a mellow sanding wheel. You don't want to take any material off, just the slag. Make sure you get all the crap cleaned out of the housing. It'll waste the gears and bearings if left in.

how best to remove the welding slag from the inside of the bearing hubs?

Welding slag inside the hub? If it is not on the surface where the Race or Bearing goes use a file or dremal tool. You got any pictures of this?? I am curious to see what you are talking about. I don't see how someone could have got slag in there.

Like Fishy is saying. Tap on it with a Chisel or screwdriver.

Some of it came out with a screwdriver the rest is stuborn

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 217
Something else that might be helpful in getting it out is a small diameter wire brush on a die grinder. Their not made for high speed so turn the air down and make sure to wear safety glasses

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• P1010039.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 231
  • P1010040.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 216
whats sad is I dont have the money to send it back im stuck with it so pissed. I got to make this work.

The weld doesn't look that bad to me. The housing sure looks like it was crusty to begin with. Lot of pitting. Rust makes welding a challenge. The only thing that puzzles me is the slag on the inside??

Where did you buy it?

-
Back