Purple Shaft 280/280 cam

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
Anibody running the purple shaft 280/280, 474 lift 4452992 cam?

I was searching for some vids showing its idle or something. I'm bulding a 318 and I want to put this cam on it.

thanks

Perfect! That's what I need, most people here use the 284/284, 484 lift but I want a smoother idle, since the car is for street use only.

thanks man!

A buddy of mine ran one in his 318 Duster years back to the tune of mid 13's. Not a bad lil'ride.

Your not going to get a smooth idle from a MoPar cam. Unless perhaps you can find one of there "Improved Idle" cams. There ground on a 112 centerline rather than the 110.

Crane cams makes cams on a 112 C-line as a norm.

Honestly, I'd look at more modern cams. the Lunati VooDoo series is pretty popular with the Mopar guys because it uses a Mopar sized lobe.

Not all of them. Comp cams included. A faster rate of lift isn't allways the best for everyone and everything.

Not to hijack, but this may show info.
Unknown cam in a 70 340. dial shows 230@ .50, .484 lift, 110 centerline.
won't idle below 20 degrees, at that 20 vacuum. At 30 degrees, 30 vacuum.
Are these cams advanced?

Thanks everyone.

I don't want a really smooth idle, just something more streetable than the 284.
I know there is a lot of better cams, but I don't want to get more than 0.480" of lift because I'll use the stock rockers.

More vids are welcome!

Not to hijack, but this may show info.
Unknown cam in a 70 340. dial shows 230@ .50, .484 lift, 110 centerline.
won't idle below 20 degrees, at that 20 vacuum. At 30 degrees, 30 vacuum.
Are these cams advanced?

They are supposed to be four degrees adavanced when installed straight up(110/106 for the 280),most however are off and need to be moved.The couple I have installed lately were both retarded four degrees from reccomended install and needed to be advanced four degrees.

Thanks everyone.

I don't want a really smooth idle, just something more streetable than the 284.
I know there is a lot of better cams, but I don't want to get more than 0.480" of lift because I'll use the stock rockers.

More vids are welcome!

I haven't ran a 280/474 cam but it's only 3 degrees smaller at .050" and .10" lift less. I can't see it being much more streetable than the 284/484 cam. There just isn't enough difference.

Car sounds mad! My 4 yo son watched and said "the car sounds mad daddy"!!

Hello I am running that cam in my 71 Demon right now. I am replacing it with a cam with a smoother idle and more lift. If you want a used cam, I will sell you this one for $50. Jeff Patterson is a Engle Dealer and will fix you up with a custom grind modern profile cam. jeffpatterson@copper.net

Fishy68, the 284's lobe center is 108, while the 280 is 110. I think this make some difference.

70Duster440, thanks for the video, really nice car!

FC7freak, I'm in Brazil, it's not that easy to buy an used part like this!

Anibody running the purple shaft 280/280, 474 lift 4452992 cam?

I was searching for some vids showing its idle or something. I'm bulding a 318 and I want to put this cam on it.

thanks

had that cam in a 318 years ago in my dart. when cold it sounds a little lumpy. once warm it had a stockish idle. it ran ok. idled fine with the a/c on and all.

whats the rest of your combo like?gears,intake,stall speed,compression ratio?as you know these facts will have a bearing on if that cam will work well for you.i almost ran that grind in my 340.i have a very similar set up as DJVCUDA in my dart.i ended up using a custom grind after i had the purple cam profiled at schneider cams....the specs that they are advertised at dont match what the true specs when profiled.it was an 8 degree difference.

Mine is a 318, pocket ported stock heads, 9.3 compression, performer rpm intake, holley 650 double pumper carb and shorty headers. It's 4 speed with a long rear end, don't remember now.

DVC im still trying to figure out how your running the times you run with your setup..haha Love how you have the tunnel ram on it proving people wrong. Thats a nice cam, I had the xe274 with .488 .491 lift It was nice but I took it out after 150miles and went with something bigger..trying to sell it now

Actually my engine is stock yet, with exception of the carb and intake. I may rebuild it in february with all those stuff...

I'm wondering about 3000-6500 rpm.

i wouldnt go bigger than that cam in a Stock 318 .

maybe think about a rebuild and get the compression up to 10:1 or so

im not a small block guy so i cant give a whole lot of advice i guess...... 8)

Personally, i would go with a modern grind cam though.......

Thanks 496dart!

I prefer not to exceed 9.3:1 because the gas here is very bad and I don't want to have any problems with that.

Shitty country I live! haha

Thanks 496dart!

I prefer not to exceed 9.3:1 because the gas here is very bad and I don't want to have any problems with that.

Shitty country I live! haha

If that's the case IMHO the 280/480 cam is really too big for a 318 with compression that low. It'd run but the low end torque wouldn't be very good. Should scream from 3500 up though. If you want decent bottom end torque you should consider one of the Comp XE series or Lunati Voodoo series or better yet a custom grind. They are a little more aggressive grind than the purple cam and have a little more lift for the amount of duration @ .050" so you can get away with running a little more cam without loosing all the bottom end.

BTW: I noticed some guys that posted their clips are running big blocks. Their a whole different animal due to the bigger cubic inches so the 280/480 cam isn't very big for them. Naturally they have good low end torque and run strong.

-
Back