purpleshaft cams

-

dartman340ta

Reaction score
im currently using one what are your thoughts on them ? 284 /284 528/528 i feel this cam works well 3000 up , not to interested in other cams trying to gain some input on the purple shaft .

Their designs are old and outdated,theres much better cams out there....

There is nothing wrong with them. They are good cams. Yes there are better cams out there. I have the 508 in my Dart. Great power. But the newer designs will produce more power. It's just a matter of preference. The price was right when I bought mine.

Fred B

I also have one in a 360. 484 lift 284 duration. Car runs good kind of mild. This was in the car when I bought it. I was thinking of re- using it. What do you other fabo users suggest for a 360 automatic mainly street use. Any body got a good one recently.

I also have one in a 360. 484 lift 284 duration. Car runs good kind of mild. This was in the car when I bought it. I was thinking of re- using it. What do you other fabo users suggest for a 360 automatic mainly street use. Any body got a good one recently.

As previously stated, the technology is old, but then so am I, so I've been running that same cam in my 360 for the past 17 years. :-D When the Vart goes back on the road, it will still have that cam in it. I find that in a light car, with the proper rear gears, intake/carb combo, they flat out work well. If you're short on rear end gears, it takes a while before it kicks in, but then it takes off like a raped ape.

I do not have any issues with the purple cams. There design may be old. But old doesn't mean outdated/poor performing, etc... There still more agressive than many other cam out there for sale today.

I find there cams like a light switch. When they "turn on", there on. This is good and bad at the same time. They have to be set up in there aea of performance for best results and results you'll get.

Other cams I have had in similar duration seem to "turn on" more slowly and feel more tolerable when not well set up. IE; Wrong converter, incorrect rear gear, to tall a tire.......

I had a 292/.509 in there 10-1 create short block. In it's power band, the car/engine ran excellent. A little tuff below that 3,000 rpm point and street driving. But an good street stripper it did make.

If your looking for more drivabilty, try a split duration cam that will help spread/stretch the RPM band alittle and/or a wider centerline for a easier, more mello idle. IE; 112 straight up vs a 110 or a 110 moved lower.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,31560.0.html

I would never buy another MP cam shaft. I did some testing on the one that went bad in the link above and as you can see, there was material issues with the lifters. When I sent it in to Mopar for further investigation, they agreed with my findings, but said that since the state of the business is currently so bad, they do not have a budjet to warrenty ANY Mopar parts. In my opinion, if you like the grind, buy another companies cam or consider going roller if possible. Good luck!!

I think they still have value. But the machining of them now is terrible. They are ground way off. So you MUST degree them every time, and plan on using stuff to adjust them to where MP recommends. I havent used one in many years now, because they make power, but there are cams now that make power, and idle well, and make much broader power. It's a matter of choice, but I can make MUCH more usable power, with less side effects, using more modern grinds.

They had mystery grinders of all sorts over the yrs.
I have had 1 bad cam out of 14 purple solids that I have installed and I caught before it wiped, it had air in the casting to when it wore in you could just see little fly specs 'holes' on 1 lobe.

All that aside 'which is a average track record for any cam manufacturer they are are good cams and the .528 you mention is a really good dual purpose cam as is the .557 for more radical intentions for the street.

As for 'new cam tech' that a lot of people 'jock' I will say that mostly what they have gained is a 'couple' of ponies here and more vacuum there which really caters to those who can not decide if they want all out or daily luxury cruiser status, you know 'the best of both worlds', thing is if you can commit to what the car-engine will really be used for then you don't need these twice as much money cams that for some people have gone flat during break in , ehh hemm 'hughes', not to say that taking advantage of the 904 lifter is bad, it's good, but not really necessary to the extent that these new cam company's are doing, what kind of scavenging do you have with no over lap?
You take hughes .534 solid and it runs out at 6000.
You take mopars .528 and it'll take you into 7000.
Whats that mean?
It means with the hughes or others like it you will need 'big' 'beat the hell out of the valves' lift and hefty drag race spring pressure to get where the traditional will, which means faster spring wear and valve float in the long run.

If you really need vacuum and or power under the curve while turning up the wick 6500+, then a roller is more your game.

Like others my thoughts change when more directly asked certain specifics.

The .528 is a great cam and would require something like comps xs282s to compare.

Any brand cam can go flat or have ill ground cams. No one is exempt from this past or present.

I like the MP cams, a friend of mine runs a .557" solid in a well built 340 and man does it scream!

I have a .508 " lift hyd MP cam in both of the 340's I have had in the dart the past few seasons. The engine makes good power from 3000 to 6000. I do not drive the car on the street, but I can say this cam great on the track. I know guys who swear by Hughes and other brands of camshafts, so I might try one next time. My main reason for buying the MP cam was price, probably will effect my choice next time.

Bob

I run a mild MP .474 lift in my 360 now.

I had a 383 with a MP .484 for years with no troubles.

I have never changed to the modern grinds because I have always had great success with the MP cams. I been wanting to change up but when I finally get down to it I always go MP.

-
Back