Push button cables

-

honested

Reaction score
Dose anyone know of any thing good to wrap shift cables in to keep the exhaust from melting them

Dose anyone know of any thing good to wrap shift cables in to keep the exhaust from melting them

You could use header wrap but I'd rather use a light sheet metal shield clamped/attached to the exhaust. If you had a pic of the actual problem it would be easier to make a suggestion.

treblig

I just put the engine in to day and it looks like a real problem I only have the manifolds on it so for but I'll try and get a pic tomorrow thanks Eddie

Yeah, I know what he's talking about. This is definitely an issue. Mine melted on the exhaust manifold. It still worked, but all the cables were exposed for about four inches. Good idea on the shield. I'll use that on mine too.

Search for a thread of mine a few years ago. I put new rubber hose on the outside to seal the tranny fluid and for heat shield silicone sheath w/ fiberglass inside. The later is an industrial product, but you might find on ebay or McMaster-Carr. The auto parts heat shields mentioned would work and my minivans use those on the power steering tubes, so next time at the junkyard grab some. You might also use thin-wall 16 mm silicone vacuum hose (ebay). Silicone is usually good to at least 500 F.

I had the same problem with my '62 Valiant V8 conversion. And if the cable gets burned on the exhaust pipe at or below a certain level, the cables will leak ATF! (I think you know how I know.) The generally-accepted fix to prevent the leaking (without having to buy a new cable, which is expensive) is to put a length of fuel line over the cable, running all the way from the pushbutton mechanism to the transmission, and clamp it with RTV sealant at both ends.

I always be sure to Zip tie my cables clear of the exhaust for good measure.

Tying is a must IMO for those cables and aftermarket shifter cables alike.
It's just so much more solid and trustworthy than having them able to move around.

-
Back