Push Button Q?????

-

rj72cda

Reaction score
I have a 63 Dart Slant 6 Push button Auto and want to know is it possible to build that trans to work well with a stock 360. the wife really want to have the push button and I think it is a goo call but I really ant to go with the V8
any good Push Button advise greatly appreciated

A slant 6 transmission will not bolt up to a v-8. I'm not sure if the v-8 transmission has the shift levers in the same place or not. I would think it's the same though. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.

your going to need to look for a 64 or 65 904 trans for a small block. all the cable hookups are the same and will bolt right up to your ball and trunion driveshaft. as far as modifying the trans you dont have to much for a stock 360. i would just find a good quality rebuild and mild shift kit like the stuff from trans-go. look online at mopar muscles website in the archives for the 727 cable shift mods. most of the stuff is the same.

Yes, you will need to find a '64 or 65 cable shifted 904. Then you have a few options. You can get a B&M adapter flex plate 10239 to mate the internal balanced torque converter to the external balanced 360 engine. You can just use the original torque converter if you use an adapter ring to adapt the larger engine opening to the smaller torque conv front hub. (See E-bay under the seller TorqueFlitePatty.)

OR:

You can also change out the front 3 main components in the 64-65 904 tranny to 68-70 pieces to get the more modern input shaft and pump and mount a later torque converter to the pushbutton 904. Then you can chose whether you want the converter for 360 (externally balanced) or use a converter from a 318 or 340 (internal balance) with the 10239 flex plate. (See summit etc.) The advantage to this is a much more available selection of torque converters. If you're rebuilding the 904 anyway the tranny shop should be able to fix you up with this solution easily.

The cool factor of the pushbutton shift is worth the effort!!

Poly 318s had the same bolt pattern as the later LA small blocks, so that could add a few years of available transmissions to your search. The '65 trans has a slip yoke, but is one year only, and many desire this year because of it. You can use the later transmissions with a conversion done to the push button shifter by Imperial Services, but it's $360.

all info i have read says the 65's still had ball and trunion driveshafts, even looked at my friends 65 barracuda and its still a ball and trunion.

65's are hit and miss on the tailshaft. Early 65's probably have the ball and trunion, whereas the later ones will have the slip. Use up the last of the old before putting in the new.

I am beginning to think that the upgrade to an overdrive trans may be better

-
Back