push start an auto?

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
In my shop manual it says you can push start an auto tranny car by putting it in first and getting up to 15-25 mph. Anyone ever done this? Seems it may be possible but pushing a car at 15-25 mph might be real hard to do too. I guess you could push with another vehicle but you can forget about starting it this way by yourself unless you find a steep hill.

the old ones you could...

had something to do with a rear pump.....the newer torqueflites wont start by pushing...

Older cars can be push started with an automatic if they had a rear pump. Iv'e used this before when I had the motor and trans in my wagon. Luckily I was parked on a hill when the battery took a chit.

If I remember correctly, you could do it with the early 60's Torqueflites (push button ones) because they had a rear pump. My ex had a 63 /6 Valiant and the starter went out about 25 miles from home. Push started it real easy.

I take it the rear pump is driven by the driveshaft in this case and gives enough pressure to engage the torque convertor? On a newer tranny the driveshaft would just spin the output shaft and not drive anything internal? Good thing to know since I have a pushbutton tranny. I may have to try it just to see how easy it is, or not how easy. I saw this in the manual and thought someone was smoking something they shouldn't be but it is very cool that it is indeed true.

The PowerFlite 2spd tranny in my 55 Dodge is capable of being push started. In the manual it says to get the car up to 25-30mph in neutral -turn the ignition -ON- then put the car into 1st gear. I've never done it though.

I had a 64 Fury and a 65 Belvedere that would start that way, but my 66 Satellite wouldn't.
Frank H.

In my shop manual it says you can push start an auto tranny car by putting it in first and getting up to 15-25 mph. Anyone ever done this? Seems it may be possible but pushing a car at 15-25 mph might be real hard to do too. I guess you could push with another vehicle but you can forget about starting it this way by yourself unless you find a steep hill.
The guy who help me find my pushbutton car told me the story how he use to roll his dads Valiant down their driveway and throw it in first and start it while they were sleeping. One night when he came home dad was waiting for him. Jysnflem

We had a 62 Plymouth ( Batmobile ) with push button automatic when I was young. Dad would have a neighbor push us around the block, sometimes a couple of laps before it would start. He always went to 2nd gear at 30 + mph.
At 20 to 30 mph 1st gear would slide the tires or the car would balk like crazy. Big fun for me at 7 yrs old LOL

my 65 valiant I have started this way,I just got it up to 35 and killed the ignition in neutral then turned the key back on an put it in first and it restarted,mine is a cable type trans

I had a 58 Bel Air (ewww) that had a 2 speed Turboglide, generator went bad, used to compression start it all the time until i could get the gen rebuilt.

It had a rear pump. there was a long shaft that was attached to to crank that went through the length of the transmission

-
Back