Pushbutton to 4-Speed - Pushbutton Delete Plate?

-

gorgerider

Reaction score
1964 Dart GT converting from /6 w/ auto to 273 w/ 3-speed OD.

I heard a nasty rumor there is a pushbutton delete plate. So far I haven't seen one anywhere. I'm a newb and haven't found anything on the Interior forum.

Are they made from unobtanium?
Have people been making their own?
What years did they have this dash?
Are people using plugs of some sort?

Thanks. GR

Yup. Used one on 64 savoy. Try ebay or Kramers. Not cheap. Good luck.

They do exist but are tough to locate and might be pricey.
They came on all manual trans cars so hopefully someone will part out a '64 Dart with a three on the tree soon.
Try posting in the wanted section.
And be patient one will show up but I can't predict when.

Durn cool. I'm looking across the river right now at Oregon. I'll definitely check in with them.

All the pictures I've pulled up for the dash of a '64 GT have a slide control to the left of the pushbuttons, the function of which I know not. http://valiant50.co.za/joomla/index.php/members-garages/1964-dodge-dart The few delete plates I've seen offered don't have the opening for the slider. What am I missing here?

Ironically, I haven't got the car in hand as I'm waiting for title to clear. I haven't even been able to walk around it because it's stuffed into a garage located 150 miles away. I'm doing all this gathering of information ahead of the game.

Thanks for your help. GR

All the pictures I've pulled up for the dash of a '64 GT have a slide control to the left of the pushbuttons, the function of which I know not. http://valiant50.co.za/joomla/index.php/members-garages/1964-dodge-dart The few delete plates I've seen offered don't have the opening for the slider. What am I missing here?

That's for the parking sprag. When the lever is down, it pulls on a cable to move a finger inside the transmission that locks into a toothed wheel and keeps the output shaft from turning. To put the car in park, you push "N" to put it in neutral, then slide the lever down. You can also just slide it down and it'll engage "N" automatically. When it's time to drive away, you slide the lever up and then press "D".

When you take that cover plate off, you'll see that the pushbutton assembly and lever are all one mechanism. A manual trans doesn't have a parking sprag, so the lever goes away with the pushbuttons.

-
Back