Pushbutton trans parts interchangability?

-

Primer King

Reaction score
Hello. I found a 904 from a slant six 1968 Dart for sale locally. It's cheap enough so I'll probably get it. I have a 1964 Dart and I know that the pushbutton case and atleast the valvebody is different in later column/floor shift 904s. There may also be output shaft differences since 1964 was trunion type output and I think they were open drive/u-joint style by 1968. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Pre 66 Torqueflites also have a rear pump. A Filter for these transmissions must have 2 holes to supply both front & rear pumps with fluid.

I would pass on it.The only parts in there that will swap into your tranny, are certain hard parts that rarely, if ever, require replacement.It will occupy space in your garage pretty much forever.

In 68 the converter had some changes and will not bolt to your 64 crank, the register sizes are different.

Thanx for the info guys. I also have access to a 904 from a 65 Valiant. Not a pushbutton I know, but maybe better going that route with the pump and filter difference that kickdown mentioned.

The stock rear in my Dart munched the carrier spider gears. I knew there was an issue, it had been noisy. Just went bang at an intersection. So I swapped in a spare rear that I had already located. I turned out of my driveway and down my street and all seemed fine untill it shifted to 2nd and made crunch and munch noises and engine stalled. Knew it was the trans. Hit neutral and got on the brakes. Started engine again and punched 1st gear button and it drove seemingly normal till I got to driveway to turn around. It went into neutral and reverse and back into 1st as I turned around. As soon as I hit 2nd gear button it did exact same thing again. Aparrantly when the rear broke it must have locked up long enough to damage the trans also.

65 will be a close match--- still cable shifted, you can swap your 64 valve body into the 65 tran & have a 64 transmission.(there might be more pieces). check into that-- or find a 65 floor shift & mount it in your car. Lawrence

-
Back